frame welding

Nov 16, 2011
wayne, wi
Advice please. Did inspection only to find broken frame. 2001 ultra classic champion conversion. Frame is broken in rear area on tube that goes to the tour pack mount and top part of axle mount. Advice please.

Advice please. Did inspection only to find broken frame. 2001 ultra classic champion conversion. Frame is broken in rear area on tube that goes to the tour pack mount and top part of axle mount. Advice please.

Not being a smart-ass....I would look very carefully for more compromised areas.

Good to hear you found it on inspection, and not on the road!

Kevin

how long has it been a trike? If for awhile then metal fatigue is probably the issue. That area was not designed for what it has had to do as a trike. I would take it to a welding shop put at back together then were possible throw a little reinforcing at it. The go and ride.

First question?
Is this part of the framework built by champion?
Or part of the bikes frame?

I cant picture what you mean by? " Frame is broken in rear area on tube that goes to the tour pack mount and (top part of axle mount.")

I fail to see what one has to do with the other?

Please don't get the idea im running you down,Perhaps you could be more clear for this dummy?

d-11-readytomoveontobrakelines_zpsc11be625.jpg

One thing I know is that Champion makes a damn good product and they will likely stand behind it?

Did your installer drill some holes or add a weld he shouldn't have with the wrong type welding wire? Or in effect welding on a cross beam? Thereby weakening the metal?

When I built mine All these parts were a bolt on?

You can download Instructions from Champions website to see if anything was altered.

Had this part of the frame break on my 05 ultra. 133k on it. Drilled 1/4 hole in each part, inserted a piece of 1" stock in busted piece. welded it in place thru hole. lined up with frame and welded into place thru hole in main frame. after checking alignment welded around break. small are that we could not get. used a mig welder no problems.

66398_523974110959449_2072022197_n.jpg156300_523974094292784_755623558_n.jpg

On one of my gold wings (04 I think, but might of been the 01), there was a safety recall for the frame ... the fix ... they took it apart ... laid it on it's side and welded the problem .. so if ya got a good welder, anything can be done.

if the tubing is in a "critical" stress area; I strongly suggest (if you can) have someone TIG WELD that area that needs welding. that way, you won't have to worry about it happening again. :Coffee:ThumbUp

A local Softail with a DFT kit on it broke the main frame under the fuel tank back about 7" from the front end. They welded the frame back together then put a 1/3 "shell" fitted tubing under the frame tube full length. They did that to keep from developing a stiff area in the frame. It was skip welded with a tig .
It has been about three years since that repair & no problems so far.
It is caused from the extra stress from the kit But also the wheelies the guy was doing all the time. He couldn't seem to ride without pulling the front wheel up at least once.
A different owner now.

Thanks for the responses. Champion trike kit is an awesome bolt on kit even tho their customer service has issues. 13000 miles 3 years on conversion. It is the Harley frame that broke and I showed pics to several bike mechanics (tried loading pics but no luck)and they all could not believe the frame broke where it did. I was able to get connected with an experienced welder and a frame maker. He thinks it's an easy fix by seeing pics but still has to physically see it. He says he will reinforce it and be stronger than ever. I really enjoy talking to the old timers because they are so full of knowledge. Hope it is repairable. New frame $2200. Possible insurance claim?

First question?
Is this part of the framework built by champion?
Or part of the bikes frame?

I cant picture what you mean by? " Frame is broken in rear area on tube that goes to the tour pack mount and (top part of axle mount.")

I fail to see what one has to do with the other?

Please don't get the idea im running you down,Perhaps you could be more clear for this dummy?

View attachment 25791

One thing I know is that Champion makes a damn good product and they will likely stand behind it?

Did your installer drill some holes or add a weld he shouldn't have with the wrong type welding wire? Or in effect welding on a cross beam? Thereby weakening the metal?

When I built mine All these parts were a bolt on?

You can download Instructions from Champions website to see if anything was altered.
You are correct the champion conversion is awesome their customer service is not very good. Tried loading pic of break but cant. Harley frame cracked. Right side upright tube by computer where axle mount bolts to harley frame. Wish I could post pic.

Frame is repaired. Tig welded by Kettle Moraine Welders, West Bend, Wi. Unbelievably impressive job. They are absolute perfectionist. Totally pleased. Repaired cracked and reinforced. They were also surprised to see cracked in frame where it was located, like I said "was". Back on the road soon

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mayhem-VOM

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mayhem-VOM
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png