Your Money and Social Security

Sully

Trike Talk Executive Chef
Mar 23, 2014
Kennesaw, Ga.
THIS IS SURE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!!!!THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE GOVERNMENT'S CALCULATION OF AVAILABLE SOCIAL SECURITY IS THEY FORGOT TO FIGURE IN THE PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE THEY EVER COLLECTED A SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK!!! WHERE DID THAT MONEY GO?

Remember, not only did you and I contribute to Social Security but your employer did, too. It totaled 15% of your income before taxes. If you averaged only $30K over your working life, that's close to $220,500.

Read that again.

Did you see where the Government paid in one single penny?

We are talking about the money you and your employer put in a Government bank to insure you and I that we would have a retirement check from the money we put in, not the Government.

Now they are calling the money we put in an entitlement when we reach the age to take it back.

If you calculate the future invested value of $4,500 per year (yours & your employer's contribution) at a simple 5% interest (less than what the Government pays on the money that it borrows), after 49 years of working you'd have $892,919.98.

If you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive $26,787.60 per year and it would last better than 30 years (until you're 95 if you retire at age 65) and that's with no interest paid on that final amount on deposit!

If you bought an annuity and it paid 4% per year, you'd have a lifetime income of $2,976.40 per month.

I worked all my life and am drawing 100% on my own social security). Their S.S. money will never have one cent drawn from what they paid into S.S.

all their lives.

THE FOLKS IN WASHINGTON HAVE PULLED OFF A BIGGER PONZI SCHEME THAN BERNIE MADOFF EVER DID.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the 1% --I just did.[/LEFT]​
[/LEFT]
The government gives nothing to anyone that it has not taken from someone else.

I didn't think about SS much until I began to get grey hair and contemplate my retirement, then was told there may not be money there for me when I retire or it may be a reduced amount. I have the solution....quit giving it to able bodied deadbeats who have never paid in a penny in their lives but are able to work and won't. Then there will be enough for me.

Soapbox mode off

Here's another SS policy that irks me. When I die my spouse gets a "Survivor Benefit" rate of one half of what I was drawing. So figure that out, the household income from SS with the both of us drawing is X amount ,hers is just a bit less than half of mine. I die and hers goes up to half of what I was drawing, but, mine goes away completely. Monthly SS household income for her just went down to just over 1/3 of what is was when I was alive. The household expenses didn't go down by 2/3 after I die which really places a burden on the her to make ends meet potentially. <br />
<br />
All the more reason we made a point of planning ahead not relying on SS for a way to survive.

That's exactly right but it's unbelievable how many people that I see that don't have anything else for income.

That's right and those are the same people that expect someone else to take care of them... Think tax payer...

Just to add before someone jumps on me' I would be the first one to help if they really needed it, But there are too many people who will spend all their money today and let someone else worry about it tomorrow ...

Many of those people that only have SS to live on are also the ones you'll see spending what little they do have playing the lottery. Can't figure that out.

PC

If my memory is correct and I can't say for sure it is. I believe Lyndon B. Johnson was the first president to put his hands into SS and that was to fund the Vietnam snafu. Politicians have had their hand in the till ever since.

And yes they have tried to make it sound like they are doing us a favor by returning what we paid into it. I am not sure if I am a head or not of what I put in. I am just glad to still be alive to keep doing it.

I quit working the day I turned 61. I live off SS and my savings. If SS were to be discontinued tomorrow, I would not be happy, but I would survive.
What? Nobody looked ahead and saved? Awwwww

Don't forget when SS was first enacted you could only collect when you reach 65 years of age, Back then most people were only expected live and only collect for another 2 or 3 years, So All you old guys trying to live forever are breaking the system.. :laugh:

I don't blame anyone for that, I'm also trying to live as long as I can too, But I'm
not going to kill myself trying... ;)

:Agree: SS Was never meant to live on. It was to supplement what you should have been saving...

:Agree: But what pisses me off is the monies I/we paid into SS should be there for us now when we are due it. The fact that SS has been Hit several times for other uses and not repaid is not right. SS is OUR money and PART of our retirement investment. JMHO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png