carbon in sump

ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp,,,,Makes perfect sense ,,,,ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp . A lot of good tough little motors short lived from lack of oil changes and valve adjustments at the right time .

Well.... in my defense....:cxtv: the oil never went over 3000 or so between changes. Except on long trips.. just didn't drop the sump plate.

I did pull the jugs and checked the rings and they have about 3x the gap they should. I was thinking about just new rings but for the price, a whole new set of pistons jugs and rings seems like a good idea. Doing route 66 next spring and want the engine running dependably as it will be a little over 6k miles total. .*

NO NO Matman don't misunderstand my blanket statement , my point was people I've talked to that have owned VWs not knowing the importance of regular valve adjustments . It takes me about 45 minutes to adjust valves twice a riding season , maybe overkill but piece of mind for me .

This may be a practice of yours also , don't know , but do know some have no clue , so I certainly didn't mean it the wrong way .:):D

Mahle vs. AA? Not being critical, but if you need to ask, then no - use the less expensive. Like you say, you don't want this to become a money pit and you aren't looking to build a super high dollar/performance engine.

Mahle vs. AA? Not being critical, but if you need to ask, then no - use the less expensive. Like you say, you don't want this to become a money pit and you aren't looking to build a super high dollar/performance engine.

Just found out AA us making mahle sets now. Lol. No I am not building a 300hp monster just want reliability. Bottom end seems good. I ordered a set of AA 94mm and have the cb heads ready. Light match port and polish. Realized when I got under the trike my hydraulic clutch had been weeping so I'll replace seals in that too. I'm off this week so I'm hoping to get it back on the road before next weekend.
Thanks for the advice everyone.*

- - - Updated - - -

The original heads and cylinders were both chinese. Not bad mileage....*

Just found out AA us making mahle sets now. Lol. No I am not building a 300hp monster just want reliability. Bottom end seems good. I ordered a set of AA 94mm and have the cb heads ready. Light match port and polish. Realized when I got under the trike my hydraulic clutch had been weeping so I'll replace seals in that too. I'm off this week so I'm hoping to get it back on the road before next weekend.
Thanks for the advice everyone.*

- - - Updated - - -

The original heads and cylinders were both chinese. Not bad mileage....*

Hey Matman, where did you get your heads and cylinder kits man? I think I have a cracked head on #1 and 2 so figured I would replace both heads. While I am in that far I'm planning on either rering or replace pistons and cylinders.
LOL, probably going to split the case as well and put in an Engle 110 or equivalent cam and straight cut timing gears. Probably going to end up doing rod, cam, and main bearings as well.

Actually I have found that Car Craft has better prices for the same products. Granted, they are a little tough to navigate at first but once ya figure their system out it isn't bad.
http://carcraftstore.com/

They have some dang good prices. $199.99 for the 40 x 35.5 valve heads with dual Scat springs and chrome molly retainers and keepers.

Much like everyone though, the Mahle Piston/cylinder kits are up there in price. Jeez, I remember getting a standard 85.5 set of Mahle Pistons and cylinders for about $85!!!

Of course back then a person could get a counter weighted 69mm crank for under a hundred brand new. :xzqxz:
How times have changed.

Actually I have found that Car Craft has better prices for the same products. Granted, they are a little tough to navigate at first but once ya figure their system out it isn't bad.

They have some dang good prices. $199.99 for the 40 x 35.5 valve heads with dual Scat springs and chrome molly retainers and keepers.

Much like everyone though, the Mahle Piston/cylinder kits are up there in price. Jeez, I remember getting a standard 85.5 set of Mahle Pistons and cylinders for about $85!!!

Of course back then a person could get a counter weighted 69mm crank for under a hundred brand new. :xzqxz:
How times have changed.

Ya times have changed but the VW aircooled lives on in many forms.

How times have changed.

Yep. And when you consider mahle is now made by... AA..

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. And when you consider mahle is now made by... AA..

Not that I'm picky, just need riding down the highway dependability. 90mph all day is enough for me. Not racing or anything. Just don't want junk.

Been reassembling motor. I'll stick it back in this weekend. Did some other upgrades to the trike. Added heat risers to my exhaust since I have a single intake. Changed out my electric fuel pump and added a regulator. Should have done these things years ago, but now it is easier with the engine out.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png