Eliminate the oil filter!

If you're not going to use the filter, do you have a block off plate to keep the oil in the engine ?
Also if you're thinking of saving a few dollars, Remember the old adage'
Penny wise, Dollar foolish...

Heres why not. Motors have very small metal pieces come off due to wear. They are caught up in the oil filter. This keeps them from building up in places and then starting a issue like in the bearings oil passages. Lets say a piece comes off at the beginning of your 2000 miles. That can cause enough of a build up on your bearing to do damage before the next oil change. For a 5 to 10 dollar item its a good reason to use them. Better filters is one of the reasons our machine these days last as long as they do compared to years. Back in the days it was something to have a car go 100k without issues. Todays cars go double that if you take care of them some even more than that.

Heres why not. Motors have very small metal pieces come off due to wear. They are caught up in the oil filter. This keeps them from building up in places and then starting a issue like in the bearings oil passages.

Thanks for the good input.

I read that Yamaha USA Engineering state that the use of an oil filter relocation kit will cause problems later on......something about the improper oil flow through the system. But, what is the real scoop on the use of the relocation kit and it's long term affects on the engine?

:)John

Even B&S started putting oil filters on their Lawn mower engines so it must be something to it or they are in bed with the oil filter companies to sell more filters.:xszpv:

I understand why you want to leave out the oil filter. Removing the exhaust is a pain just to change the filter but if you like your bike DO IT!!!!! Look in to changing the exhaust to one that clears the oil filter. Or check out the filter relocation kit. I rode a vstar for 2 years and loved it. Take care of it you have a great bike.:wave4:

I understand why you want to leave out the oil filter. Removing the exhaust is a pain just to change the filter but if you like your bike DO IT!!!!! Look in to changing the exhaust to one that clears the oil filter. Or check out the filter relocation kit. I rode a vstar for 2 years and loved it. Take care of it you have a great bike.:wave4:

AH HA, Vstar 1100....the light just came on, DUH!!! My Son started out on a Vstar 650, oil changes were a breeze. Then he went to an 1100, What a PITA to change the filter!!!:AGGHH: He started changing the filter every other oil change. He ran Mobile 1 Synthetic and would go 5K between changes.
60K on the clock and never any problems.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png