Question about clear coating wheels

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
Okay .. so I clear coated my rear wheels ... about two hours work and $10 paint ... they have a nice shinny quality to them and hopefully they will be way easier to keep clean ... as stated before ... I did this to be proactive and save myself work down the road.

So ... my question is this ... did my first bike wash since coating the wheels, and they came very clean very easily. My question is has anyone thought about doing the front ... it's a pain to clean and appears to be the same material. I just don't want to add clear coat if it already is ... the front wheel always comes clean, but with dual rotors it is tougher to get to ... just a thought and looking forward to peoples input on this idea ... probably not new ... but new to me :pepper:

The front is the same material so clear coat away. One of the smarter things Honda finally did was start powder coating the rims on the Goldwing, until then they also used to be raw aluminum like Harley. I'm not sure which way is best, I do know clear coat in time will start chipping, which will start oxidized sections on the rim where the chips are, we've all seen them on factory clear coated car rims. Powder coat is a little more durable than clear coat, plus you can get powder coat in clear. Just some rambling thoughts:).

With Clear Coat just make sure not to use Never-Seize anywhere near them, It will oxidize aluminum rims and peal back the coating!! I ruined a set of rims on my Doge Truck using that stuff..

I thought about doing the front wheel...but it never seemed to get stained like the rear wheels...must be something to do with the angles of the wheels?

That said, if the front wheel would have been as easy to do as the rear, I would have gone ahead and done it anyway.

Like M3 said, powder is much more durable than the rattle can clear. Fortunately, at the one year mark, my rattle can clear is still in good condition.

Kevin

Little update ... after week of huge wind ... wheels were full of the beautiful red dust we get here (it's beautiful when it's on the mountains .. not so much anywhere else) and the tri was covered in bugs ... typical spring condition in the high desert ... so I went to the wand car wash (I like this place, recycles water, has a "spot free" rinse and a credit card reader so I don't need change) and to my amazement, the red dust turned to mud and washed right off ... even the bugs came off without any elbow grease. So ... the clear is working on the wheels and I finally have enough of the Honda clean and wax on where even bugs can't stick ... LOL

:pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png