Likes Likes:  3
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Question about raking a Harley

User ID

Default Question about raking a Harley

I have a 2010 Harley Ultra Classic. I am having it triked and raked. A Harley dealer is doing the work and they say the front brake line will have to be changed when they rake it. They are just installing the triple tree for a TriGlide. Will some one tell me why I have to buy a new brake line? The distance between the brake master cylinder and the caliper will not change. The relationship between the two stays the same. I think they are either stupid or just trying to sell more parts.

2. Love Jugs
    Senior Moderator
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by J.T.M. View Post
    I have a 2010 Harley Ultra Classic. I am having it triked and raked. A Harley dealer is doing the work and they say the front brake line will have to be changed when they rake it. They are just installing the triple tree for a TriGlide. Will some one tell me why I have to buy a new brake line? The distance between the brake master cylinder and the caliper will not change. The relationship between the two stays the same. I think they are either stupid or just trying to sell more parts.
    The factory uses a different brake line on the TRI. The dealer is just trying to cover themselves because of that. If you were doing the work yourself or a non HD dealer doing the work the original could be made to work. I bet they feel they have to use what the factory recommends in the parts catalog. I believe the line attached differently to the bottom of the lower triple tree.
    Stallion #406 // 2013 Tri-Glide

2000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Are your sure that distance doesn't change? I really don't know but, on my Wing, longer fork caps were installed to reset the ride height, which in my mind would increase the distance you speak of. However, don't remember a need to use different brake line on it
    Christian Motorcyclist Association #64488
    Patriot Guard
    Volunteer Fire/Rescue/EMT/Captain
    Was a LEO
    Part time Corrections Officer

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
    Are your sure that distance doesn't change? I really don't know but, on my Wing, longer fork caps were installed to reset the ride height, which in my mind would increase the distance you speak of. However, don't remember a need to use different brake line on it
    If they are using the complete Triglide triple tree including the forks it will be longer. The forks on the Triglide are longer than their 2 wheel cousins which will make the brake like to the calipers to short.

Red Ultra Powered By Head-Quarters 120, Easy Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ. 2012 GL1800 Hannigan. I've yet to ride a stock Harley which wasn't in need of a mechanical intervention.