Driving a trike (my ramblings)

Jan 19, 2013
Port Charlotte fl/Hinsdale MA
I went on a rather long local ride on Sunday. I was I the rear where all the trikes ride in this group. About 16 of us. We went on some twisty back roads. Well Florida twisties. I was the first trike of 3. When I saw a curve coming I would back of the 2 wheelers. Powered into and thru the curve and always caught up to the two wheelers on the other side and had to back off. Looked into my mirror and the other two trikes were way back. Same thing happened on 90 degree turns at traffic lights and such.

This got me thinking about people saying they wont ride drive a trike.

That's for sissy's! and the disabled.

I have some thoughts on that. This does not apply to training wheels. That's a different world all over. 1-It's a 3 wheeled motorcycle. Not a motorized wheelchair so don't drive it like one. 2-I don't ride a trike I drive it. 3-Forget everything you know about riding a 2 wheeler. 4-Power into and all the way thur a turn = Power Steering 5-Must have a rake kit = Power Steering 6-It will not turn over.

You have to work pretty hard to Lift a wheel. 7-I drive a trike because it's fun not because I have too.

I'm much more comfortable on three.:pepper: 8-Ride it like a horse, Loosen the death grip on the handle bars a let the bike move under you. Plant you knee into the tank on a curve. The two wheeler in front of me would always coast thur the turns then get on the gas after he straightened out.:mad: Same with the trike behind me. I usually had my own space to play in.

I've had the same experience in the Tennessee and North Carolina mountains. Have ridden with groups of 2 wheelers (back of the pack of course) and had to get on the brakes most of the way through the Dragon, the Snake, and the Diamondback so I wouldn't run over a 2 wheeler.

Have seen a couple of them go off the shoulder into the ditch because they couldn't handle the curve.

So why is it that Trikes are always in the rear :Shrug: is there an unwritten rule some where :Shrug: it's like that with group rides here also. I was told to ride in the rear once, I said, see ya later.

:wave4:

So why is it that Trikes are always in the rear :Shrug: is there an unwritten rule some where :Shrug: it's like that with group rides here also. I was told to ride in the rear once, I said, see ya later.

I was told by a ride captain that if a trike has to brake suddenly and hard, any two wheelers behind will pile into you since they are not able to stop as quickly. Makes sense and hope I never find out for sure!

Of course, if you ride far enough ahead it shouldn't be a problem.:cool:

Trikes brake up the Contentedly of the line....;) And they also don't like it [Embarrassed] when some old Guy has to slow up so they don't run the two wheelers over in turns..

Trikes ride in the rear as a courtesy to the ride captain. He cannot see past the wide ass of a trike in his rear view to see if everybody is still there. At night trike have more lights and he knows where the end is. He can tell if the group is broken up. I like riding in the rear so I can slow down before the curve and power Thur it as explained above. Coasting Thur a turn is no fun. Yes, the trikes ride staggered just like the two wheelers. 2 per lane. And yes, I can stop faster with 3 wheel disc brakes faster and safer than a two wheeler. I have 16" of rubber on the road in the rear.

Trikes brake up the Contentedly of the line....;) And they also don't like it [Embarrassed] when some old Guy has to slow up so they don't run the two wheelers over in turns..

Contentedly? For real? Do you read the dictionary for grins and giggles? Sure, it's a legit word, although it's typically an adverb and is pretty obscure. As for "brake", I assume you mean we ride them too much? As opposed to "break", which would imply that trikers leave too big a gap in the line? I beg to differ. :Shrug:

Here's a difference I've noticed. I've ridden with groups of Goldwings and they don't seem to care where I am in the line. Maybe because I tend to stay to the right of the lane so the tour captain and sweep can see the entire group.

OTOH, I've been on the road with HD riders and they do make me stay in back, just ahead of the sweeper. Only takes about a half hour of these guys and my is hearing is shot.

Ringing in the ears for hours afterwards.

Other than that, they tend to be really nice people to hang out with.

Agree with "MOST" everything here...I led some "2-wheeler only" Rides with my Trike, at a Pace above "most-but-not-all" Cruiser Riders Limits at times. On my Trike in the Tennessee/North Carolina Mountain Twisties, I was as fast as "most" Cruiser Riders using my normal pace. Never as fast as good Sport Bike Riders. No matter how fast I could ride the Trikes we've owned in Twisties, I've still always been much faster on 2-wheel Cruisers, and a lot faster Sport Bikes and Scooters. Never buy into "Trikes won't turn over"...I can roll one in a heartbeat while power-sliding one through a tight corner if a rear wheel grabs side traction ( saved mine several times from this )...easiest thing to do is "push the front end" while throttling hard out of a corner. Coming from a "Raced Everything with Wheels" background, I always check the limits of Everything I own..."BUT".....

why ride/drive a Trike to this point...???...nothing to prove, so just kick back and comfortably use the Trike's intended purpose: ENJOY THE RIDE .....ThumbUp ThumbUp ThumbUp

I ride both a GW Roadsmith trike and a Honda ST1300. Evidently, you guys ride with two wheelers who do not how to corner. You never "coast" thru a curve.

And by the way, I live and ride in the best Arkansas twisties and I can guarantee you a trike can be turned over!!! Please don't think it can't or you're setting yourself up for a nasty spill. While it is not easy to do, I've lifted a rear wheel off the ground several times in tight twisties. I've also been powering thru a turn and hit some sand which caused the rear to start sliding out. Had it continued it would have been very possible to then find good traction and do a high side with the trike flipping over.

Although trikes are underestimated in their cornering ability, trying to keep up with a knowledgeable two wheeler on a good cornering bike can lead to a mistake so be careful. Also, it's not just how fast you are thru the turn, it's the acceleration after the turn and the braking into the next one.

That's where my two wheeler will leave the trike in the dust.

Fun times had by all!

Be careful out there! :D

I have asked these questions for years now and the 2 most sincere answers I get are: 1. My Trike takes up a lot of room on the road (this could be a problem (they said) if a emergency of something happens.:Shrug:

2. They still believe we go "slower" than they do in corners etc...:Shrug:
this could cause an accident.....:gah:

remember most of our 2 wheeler friends have little or no 3 wheel experience 3 wheels are really coming on so others will be learning. go out and ride and enjoy. we are all on the same side

I tow a trailer and ride sweep all the time. Just take up too much room with the trailer. Have to slow down for the people that can't ride though a turn, had to when we were on 2 wheels also.

One ride the leader had an emergency at home and had to leave the group. Some how they decided we should lead the group back. I got tired of slowing down and waiting for everyone so just rode the route at the speed limit and had a nice ride. The don't let me lead any more!

I ride both a GW Roadsmith trike and a Honda ST1300. Evidently, you guys ride with two wheelers who do not how to corner. You never "coast" thru a curve.

And by the way, I live and ride in the best Arkansas twisties and I can guarantee you a trike can be turned over!!! Please don't think it can't or you're setting yourself up for a nasty spill. While it is not easy to do, I've lifted a rear wheel off the ground several times in tight twisties. I've also been powering thru a turn and hit some sand which caused the rear to start sliding out. Had it continued it would have been very possible to then find good traction and do a high side with the trike flipping over.

Although trikes are underestimated in their cornering ability, trying to keep up with a knowledgeable two wheeler on a good cornering bike can lead to a mistake so be careful. Also, it's not just how fast you are thru the turn, it's the acceleration after the turn and the braking into the next one. That's where my two wheeler will leave the trike in the dust.

Fun times had by all! Be careful out there! :D

EXACTLY...!!!!!...ThumbUp

I pushed a Spalding sidecar around for nearly 4 years. The GF had MS but wanted to be there. I found out when I started riding a trike 2 years ago (have Parkinson's) that riding with a sidecar and riding a trike are just about the same. Learned to power thru the right turns and power into a left turn but left off when making the turn. Works great. You want a real test of your trike riding abilities, take Iron Mountain Road in the Black Hills. Iron Mtn and the Tail of the Dragon will make your shoulders talk to you for a couple days.

As far as riding in the front or back it really doesn't make a difference with the guys I ride with. Most of us grew up racing flat track, motocross and TT so the whole bunch can challenge just about any curve or any road. We all ride hard......

I laugh all the time though saying, if I saw a guy pull up and undo a seat belt on his trike, I'd say "smart fellow"......

8~\o

The TWO wheelers do not want to be embarrassed by how well the TRIKES handle.;)

Time At Speed

Just now read this thread.

I'm surprised that with all the former racers etc. posting in this thread no one has mentioned some of the most important things about being really quick in the corners:

"Time At Speed" - brake hard, quick & briefly as late as possible while going deep into the corner before turning in & even lightly trail-braking with only the rear brakes after turning in & smoothly get back on the throttle as just as you come off the brakes all the while looking at the point the road disappears so as to aim where you want to go & see any oncoming traffic as early as possible & more safely use as much of the road as possible & above all, be smooth, very smooth.

I raced 911's for thirty years & this is how you won races as everyone was really good at accelerating like hell & going fast in a straight line.

Do not late brake hard if someone is close up behind you unless that person knows what is going to happen going into the corner. It's a good habit to always tap brakes before actually applying the brakes.

Dan

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png