Harley Fluids What and Why!

Okay...I'm new to Harleys and didn't even understand what a primary was before owning one. Here's what I've gathered so far:

1. 20W50 synthetic in the motor.
2. Transmission is all over the place.
3. Primary is all over the place.

The dealership I purchased the bike from put Syn-3 in all 3. (said change at 3K on motor and 5K on both trans and primary). But he said you will start to hear "noises" when the trans needs to be changed and given my experience level, I wasn't real excited about that. They also said they only check the level of the motor oil before each ride, not the other two.

I've read things about compensators, Tri-Glides, CVO, EVO, etc. and am not sure where I fit in. I apologize but I don't know much about what I guess I've gotten myself in to. I can say that I absolutely love the bike and will come upon this maintenance soon enough.

I have an 02 Dyna Wide Glide (Frankenstein kit) with the stock motor (honestly, not even sure what size it is). From what I think I hear, 20W50 synthetic in the crankcase seems unanimous. For the trans, I like what I read about the Redline shock-proof (as in a short time, I can certainly hear a difinitive "clunk" when shifting). For the trans, I'm clueless.

This is my first Harley and want it to last for years of future enjoyment. Is there a difference between what seems like the newer bikes and mine or should I just stick with what I've been told? Thanks in advance. Randy

Since you have an 02 you don't have any compensator worries. A few years back Harley changed their recommended oil drain intervals to 10,000 miles in the primary and 20,000 in the transmission. I run Red Line shock proof in the transmission and Harley Formula+ in the primary. IMO I wouldn't run 20,000 miles with Syn3 in my transmission, when that stuff gets hot it looks like water.

Snarley has 64k miles; all of them with synthetic oil (except break-in). I have used syn3 until last year, when I changed over to Royal Purple 20-50. Oil temp with syn3 was 230, and 217 with RP. Had HD replace the junk cam drive with Andrews year-drive cams, and there was no noticable wear on cam lobes. I use RP in all 3 holes.

Snarley has 64k miles; all of them with synthetic oil (except break-in). I have used syn3 until last year, when I changed over to Royal Purple 20-50. Oil temp with syn3 was 230, and 217 with RP. Had HD replace the junk cam drive with Andrews year-drive cams, and there was no noticable wear on cam lobes. I use RP in all 3 holes.

You sound like a guy that takes care of your Harley and will listen to good advice. I don't care what anybody tells you, don't use oil that's formulated for a motor in your Transmission. We did testing at work for years on Gear oil's. Had our oil's tested at independent Labs. A gearbox needs an oil that will lubricate plus protect against backlash. Done a ton of research myself since going with Harley. I use and highly recommend Redline with shockproof for the Tranny. Too many top notch HD Tech's have recommended it also.

I can't prove it, but I've heard from several source's that Harley's Syn3 isn't fully synthetic oil?

RP, Amsoil...ect. is all good Synthetic motor oil but is overpriced and no better than Mobil1 20/50.

The Primary needs good lubrication as well because of the Compensator.
I use Rotella-T 15/40 in mine with great result's. I would not use Transmission fluid in the primary as I've read some do. JMO

The thing that makes gears happy, phosphorus, does not make rings or bearings happy. The primary can get along with just about anything that doesn't make the clutch slip. The pressure between gears in a gear box are much, much higher than piston rings see. So the additives that keep rods and rings happy will quickly be ruined by the pressure gears faces exert.

I'm gonna stick with oils that are engineered for one job and one job only. Anything else is a compromise that I'm not going to subject my new $30,000 toy to.

PC

The thing that makes gears happy, phosphorus, does not make rings or bearings happy. The primary can get along with just about anything that doesn't make the clutch slip. The pressure between gears in a gear box are much, much higher than piston rings see. So the additives that keep rods and rings happy will quickly be ruined by the pressure gears faces exert.

I'm gonna stick with oils that are engineered for one job and one job only. Anything else is a compromise that I'm not going to subject my new $30,000 toy to.

PC

I agree with you on the transmission lube, but what about the pressure the compensator generate's? I don't think just anything that won't cause the clutch to slip is ok. I would still use a good quality synthetic lube in the primary. You get a wear scar started and you've got friction and more wear and heat...just saying.

10RHRK, I don't have any stats to back this up, but I wouldnt think a priamry chain exerts anywhere near the force that gears rubbing together do.

Phu Cat

in the 6 speed trannt ie t/g you need a heavier fluid than syn 3 in it because in the '11 &'12 t/g's have had bearing problems and many of us think/know its because syn 3 is too thin for the tranny.
use a spectro/ or red line shockproof gear oil. etc. i nthe summer i use red line 20x60 motorcycle synthetic oil and get it at jeggs.com

in the 6 speed trannt ie t/g you need a heavier fluid than syn 3 in it because in the '11 &'12 t/g's have had tranny bearing problems and many of us think/know its because syn 3 is too thin for the tranny.
use a spectro/ or red line shockproof gear oil. etc. i nthe summer i use red line 20x60 motorcycle synthetic oil and get it at jeggs.com

10RHRK, I don't have any stats to back this up, but I wouldnt think a priamry chain exerts anywhere near the force that gears rubbing together do.

Phu Cat

I wasn't refering to the chain only. If you read my reply back to you, I said Compensator. Look at the function of the compensator. That sucker takes a beating!

I wasn't refering to the chain only. If you read my reply back to you, I said Compensator. Look at the function of the compensator. That sucker takes a beating!

You are dead on the money about the compensator taking a beating. I've seen some compensator's that have seen better days, the SE unit is just barley a step above the stock unit they where putting in the touring bikes. The Triglide has come standard with the SE version of the compensator since day one. When I had mine down for a gear change I saw the wear marks at just 10,000 miles.

I saw wear on my chain compensator and my cam sprockets and tensioner's at 24k on my 04 ultra when I went to gear drive at that time and it had Harley's syn oil in it!!! From there I went to Mobil 1 and seemed too be fine!!! I have been riding Harley's for 47 years now never in my experience had one that didn't clunk on a shift ...Harley's have a personality of there own !! I have always figured if they weren't making valve train noise or clunking there was something wrong with them LOL !!!!

I saw wear on my chain compensator and my cam sprockets and tensioner's at 24k on my 04 ultra when I went to gear drive at that time and it had Harley's syn oil in it!!! From there I went to Mobil 1 and seemed too be fine!!! I have been riding Harley's for 47 years now never in my experience had one that didn't clunk on a shift ...Harley's have a personality of there own !! I have always figured if they weren't making valve train noise or clunking there was something wrong with them LOL !!!!

2004 used the old spring style came chain tensioners which was a mixed bag on how long they would last. I replaced an outer one on a neighbors 2002 which had 52,000 miles at the time, it would have gone longer but at the time it was apart so change it now. The compensator was changed to a different design starting with the 2006 Dyna and then on the rest of the TC equipped bike in 2007. The new style compensator sure made a bang when you'd hit the start button. The SE compensator which they installed in the Triglides from the beginning doesn't have the loud bang when you hit the starter, but it does show signs of not getting enough lubrication or in need of a different metal when you disassemble and inspect it.

I use Amsoil 20/50 in the engine
Amsoil Severe Gear 75-140 in the trans
and H-D Formula+ in the primary.
I also use Amsoil's new nonofiber media filters every other oil change. I change oil twice a year. In November I switch to Amsoil 10/40 for winter riding in Chicago - a lot easier starting. Switch back in March.
Never had any oil related problems in 30 years in any vehicle.

Bottom line is = use ANY brand name syn oil (in the correct viscocity)and filter and you won't go wrong - just change per the oil mfg's recommendations.

Screwball, I'm sure you never had any problems using H-D Syn3 oil in all holes, but why wouldn't you want to use better less expensive fluids in each hole, after all they're 3 different type applications? Just asking.

I'm not promoting any single brand oil here. I and many others know that one single type fluid is not going to be the best to use for 3 different applications.
Before I switched over to Harleys I only needed one oil. Life was simple back then. :)

Personally I don't want to use an oil that was produced by the lowest bidder to Harley. Remember when Harley said synthetic oil was the worst thing you could put in a Harley?? Now they're saying you can use the same oil in 3 different places. Go figure :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png