Broken Roadsmith Differential axles - 22k miles

Jun 21, 2009
Boynton Beach, FL
My Roadsmith is in surgery and here are the diagnosis. Somehow I destroyed one shaft and twisted the other one - I still don't understand how this can actually happen with smooth, non aggressive riding of only 22k miles :( I can only think it's a factory defect or just bad parts... It seems weird that both of them are damaged the same. Anyone cares to explain?

Here are the good news: I called the manufacturer (The Trike Shop/Roadsmith Trikes) this morning and spoke to the owner, Doug. After reviewing the photos (below) he also thinks that it could have been the defect in the parts that caused this to happen over time. The Trike Shop/Roadsmith Trikes are covering the cost of the parts - great customer service!!!

Even though I'm puzzled and upset about the problem, these guys really stand behind their product and this is exactly what differentiates this company from their competitors. There are many conversion choices out there and I'm happy that I chose ROADSMITH :)

Can't wait to be back on the road again!!!

IMG_2165.jpgIMG_4269.jpgIMG_9258.jpg

Differential output shaft

My Roadsmith is in surgery and here are the diagnosis. Somehow I destroyed one shaft and twisted the other one - I still don't understand how this can actually happen with smooth, non aggressive riding of only 22k miles :( I can only think it's a factory defect or just bad parts... It seems weird that both of them are damaged the same. Anyone cares to explain?

Here are the good news: I called the manufacturer (The Trike Shop/Roadsmith Trikes) this morning and spoke to the owner, Doug. After reviewing the photos (below) he also thinks that it could have been the defect in the parts that caused this to happen over time. The Trike Shop/Roadsmith Trikes are covering the cost of the parts - great customer service!!!

Even though I'm puzzled and upset about the problem, these guys really stand behind their product and this is exactly what differentiates this company from their competitors.

There are many conversion choices out there and I'm happy that I chose ROADSMITH :)

Can't wait to be back on the road again!!!

View attachment 26636View attachment 26637View attachment 26638

While in Sturgis I broke the output shaft "...called Doug an he came and picked up my trike and took it to the dealer.

He had it repaired in 3 days free of charge. That's why we have been riding Trike Shop trikes since 1978

THAT IS GREAT NEWS !

Not that I expect problems at all, but just knowing the company will step up is very comforting... Every single experience I've had dealing with The Roadsmith folks is 100% positive. :clapping::clapping:

I had the same problem on a 2018 Goldwing RS and it cost me a bundle to get the axles and the rest of the parts. I agree it had to be a factory defect. I wanted to ride so i paid for the parts.

Not from wheelies

I have owned a 2003GL1800 and an 07 kit since, 07.

First, I think it is the best kit around and for the most part have gotten great service.

I, too, had an axle problem, similar to the very picture you have, where the splines are twisted.

This did not occur from wheelies.

From the picture you have shown, it does not look like you have the upgraded axles.

The new ones, have a broader shoulder for the bearing race and also a machined groove for an "O" ring which ensures the grease stays where it is supposed to.

I have not changed the other side as it has not given me trouble.

The first sign of trouble was when I smelled burning oil from the exhaust and investigated that. Subsequently I realized that there were little spots where I parked.

When I looked underneath, I determined that it was leaking for a long time (which the "o" ring design corrected.

I do my won work and found that the snap ring pliers of the correct size I did not own and luckily borrowed one. I tried and tried with o ring pliers from advanced auto. Junk

Also, it is wise that the bolts holding the CV joint housing (allens) be changed and use the blue thread lock to ensure it stays put.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png