Back Rest For HD Tri Glide

Apr 22, 2009
Clifton, NJ
Has anyone installed the Harley adjustable back rest on their Tri Glide? According to the parts catalogue there is a back rest and compatible mounting hardware for the Tri Glide. What concerns me is this; I have a 2006 Ultra with the adjustable backrest and the adjustment lever is mounted behind the engine on the frame, exactly where the heat deflectors are mounted on the Tri Glide. Does one of the deflectors have to be removed or altered, in order to install the backrest adjustment mechanism on the trike??

Has anyone installed the Harley adjustable back rest on their Tri Glide? According to the parts catalogue there is a back rest and compatible mounting hardware for the Tri Glide. What concerns me is this; I have a 2006 Ultra with the adjustable backrest and the adjustment lever is mounted behind the engine on the frame, exactly where the heat deflectors are mounted on the Tri Glide. Does one of the deflectors have to be removed or altered, in order to install the backrest adjustment mechanism on the trike??

I just installed this back rest on my 2010 Triglide, I also have one on my 06 Ultra. The new backrest kit is designed to work with the heat deflector. I did run into a couple issues. I figured since I already had the back rest on my 06 Ultra I would skip buying the back rest and just get the mount. I found out I had to get a new back rest also because the buggers changed the shape on the part that goes into the mount. In the instructions they mention to pull the battery. Being the rebel I am I always try to do some stuff my way.

One of the steps is unbolting the Bank Angle sensor which once you remove the last bolt will fall down and tip to the side in such a poisition you can't get your hands on it. I resisted the temptation to remove the battery and managed to grab the sucker with some long tonges I had in the toolbox.

Guiderider here are a few pictures of my backrest base setup. I added couple 1/2" spacers just above the bank angle sensor to support the front part of the pivot bracket for support. The spacers can be found in your hardware store (in chrome even).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delay in responding! I bought the back rest kit and installed it without much trouble. Seems to work fine. Thanks again.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png