Fuel Consumption on GL1800 / Roadsmith Trikes...

Jun 21, 2009
Boynton Beach, FL
I have a question for all your GL1800 / Roadsmith riders. For some reason I average ~130-140 miles before the light comes on.

-Is it normal?
-What is your fuel consumption?

I decided against auxiliary fuel tank and sometimes feel like I should have gotten it.

Don't know the size of the 1800 tank. What is that in MPG? If you had Roadsmith's aux fuel tank on your ride that would be really bad mileage.:eek:

We have a GL1500, 2 up on the normal roads in the Ozarks, between 45 and 60mph, we get right around 35 MPG. The low fuel light comes on at about 160 miles, average 15 more miles until I get gas and I still have almost a gallon left in the (6.3 gallon) tank. Hook up the loaded Bunkhouse and gear for a trip, hit the freeway at 70 - 75mph and it's down to about 27 or 28, or about 150 miles until the "1 gallon left" light comes on. On the 1500 gas mileage nosedives above 3000 RPM. (about 65mph on our trike)

Is the seed healer installed. Got one with my kit and would think all the kits got them. It says it corrects the odo. as well as the speedometer. Maybe check it with a GPS to see if you are getting what your speedometer says.

I have an 03 Gl1800 with Roadsmith. I usually get around 38 MPG when on the 2 lane and about 30 when on the freeway hauling butt. I have the aux tank and it is great. Wouldn't have a trike without one. I like to stop when and where I want to, not when I have to.

Dave P.

I have a question for all your GL1800 / Roadsmith riders. For some reason I average ~130-140 miles before the light comes on.

-Is it normal?
-What is your fuel consumption?

I decided against auxiliary fuel tank and sometimes feel like I should have gotten it.

Don't worry about the miles per gallon..just the smiles per gallon knowing you are on one of the best trikes anywhere

Has anyone added the aux fuel tank option to a Roadsmith kit after ine has been installed on their bike? Is it something a person can do themself ETC??

Thanks for any info.

Minnlee

My DFT 1500 GW gets exactly the same as Ozark does almost to the letter. Or the drop <LOL>

Michael: I have been averaging between 32 & 35 mpg 2-up at clearly illegal speeds. I have a CSC aux tank so dont even bother to look at the gauge till about 225 miles as I expect to get abt 250-280 miles out of both tanks with 1 gal left over. BUT having said that, I rarely let it get that far down in the tanks. So a pit & potty stop at about 220 miles. All depends on how we are riding, isn't it?

I dont have a Roadsmith but my CSC gets about 32MPG highway, double or not, tailer or not. I opted for no Aux. tank so I could stop and rest every 140 or so miles. I dont mind a bit

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png