Car Tire on a Harley 16" Front Rim

May 22, 2011
Orlando,Fl--USA
Does anyone Know what tire will fit on a stock Harley 16 x 3.5 front rim?

Has anyone ever done this?

Is there a secret to getting it on the rim?

Before you ask, here is the deal:

I have a V8 trike.
The front weighs 750 lbs.
The weight rating of a motorcycle tire is around 783--827 lbs.
I would feel a whole lot more secure if those numbers were a lot further apart.
A smaller car tire has a weight rating of 1750--2000 lbs.

Thanks to all.

Ride safe.:xzqxz:

I would talk to an auto tire pro ... they have puters now that can fit anything ... I'm not sure about a flatter wheel on the front, but the new avon trike tire is a wider flatter profile

Car Tire on a Harley Front Rim

I was told that there are 3 or 4 tires that are just about the same size as a stock tire for a 16 inch
Harley rim.
The car tire MUST be the same size otherwise it would not fit in between the forks.

There is very little rake and the front forks are the stock forks that came off a 2005 Harley Fatboy, so I should be OK.
There is very little lean on the front end, so the flatter tire should be fine.

Thank you for the reply.

Boss Hoss uses an Avon front tire on their trikes that can handle the load and give excellent mileage/wear.

I would check the narrower 16 car tires. back in the 60's we used to put narrow car tires on our Harleys all the time and for a 3 wheeler this would be great. Something like a 5.00 X 16.
If you can't find a car tire that would fit I would go to a motorcycle rear tire in the size you are using now. That will boost your load capacity to nearly 900 lbs. You don't need to support all the weight of your trike on the front end.

The new Avon tire is only available in an 18" size.

Car Tire on a HD Rim

Pegasus 1300,

The weight of just the front of the trike is 750 lbs.

The entire trike weighs 2500 lbs.

A rear tire will handle that much MORE weight?

Thank you for the reply.

Ride safe...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png