Spark Plug Wires

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
After doing lots of testing, I've come to the conclusion that maybe my rear spark plug wire is hooky ... and why I get the single knock at start. After my bad experience with the SE plugs, I'm not excited about SE wires and I've been told HD has had some issues with QC on their stock. Anyone know of some good aftermarket wires that are reliable and have good QC in the manufacturing process?

After doing lots of testing, I've come to the conclusion that maybe my rear spark plug wire is hooky ... and why I get the single knock at start. After my bad experience with the SE plugs, I'm not excited about SE wires and I've been told HD has had some issues with QC on their stock. Anyone know of some good aftermarket wires that are reliable and have good QC in the manufacturing process?

Fuzzy, when I re-built my 120r motor (COMPLETE, new everything including cams), I used the SE Spark Plugs and also the SE Wires and after about 2k miles I have had NO Knock events whatsoever. Although my motor is far from being stock, I don't see that as being any difference.

Good luck whatever way you go, but I would not be afraid to use the SE stuff again, might have been just a coincidence that you had a bad one.

Roger

Plug wires

Both Wife/I changed to Tayler wires because we wanted different color (other than black) been running them on our HD trIkes for a couple of years now - NO PROBLEMS.
Pete :pepper:

Taylor is what I am using also.

I have done extensive bench and road testing of the stock HD wires and the SE wires. I meant to publish the findings over a year ago..but the short of it is, HD has some serious quality control issues on all their wires (not just for the Touring line)...a very high % of them were out of spec, brand new out of the box.

On the 50+ Taylor wires I tested, ALL of them met the HD specs.

Kevin

Where?

Where'd you pick them up?

Sorry I do not recall which company I ordered from, but I bought them on-line, I do remember going with the heavier wires though.
I will check further if you like as I have the stock wires in the package out in the garage.
It was probably Custom Chrome or JP Cyle.
There are several company's that make them.

Does the PV do data logging of these events? I have the PV software on my computer, just fiddled with it a tad bit. I'd be interested to see the data log, you might just be chasing a ghost.

Does the PV do data logging of these events? I have the PV software on my computer, just fiddled with it a tad bit. I'd be interested to see the data log, you might just be chasing a ghost.

I'm not sure how to do it ... it does say data log on the screen ... I'll check it out.

If it was a ghost, would it always be the rear cylinder and only immediately after turning the key? Switching plugs front to back, going back to the hd stage 1 tune both still have the single knock count on the rear cylinder. I'm not obsessing here (okay ... maybe a little), but it I have a shaky rear spark wire, I want to replace it and make my ride as reliable as possible. Just my way. I like to know I can decide right now to hop on it and go wherever and whenever.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png