MotorTrike drive shaft

Jun 27, 2011
Lubbock, TX
I purchased a new style drive shaft for my GL1800 a couple weeks ago and finally installed it today. Twenty years and a hundred pounds ago that would have been an easy job but now for me it was a $!%#&! I must have had to get up and down a hundred times and that's tough on this old body. The dealer that installed the kit and other parts went out of business. I had to order the shaft through a dealer in New Mexico but that was OK, I have met them and purchased through them before and it was drop shipped to me in Texas.

They might have installed it but they don't do much with trikes anymore, they mostly work on and with campers. The trike business just wasn't enough to support them, I guess. I really like the new drive shaft, the yoke is longer and the splines are completely in the yoke. Tomorrow I have to replace the cross piece that catches the shaft if something breaks. They sent a new cross piece with it and the new U shaped loop is a little larger than the older one.

The older one was a little tight and I think it would rub against the shaft. If I can get out of bed in the morning I will change that out and if not I will do it next month. I left the older loop off to try it out and get it put up before dark.

I drove it some and had the speed up to 60 and all seems mighty fine to me. I need to call MT tomorrow and find out what the torque specs are for the shaft mounting bolts to the differential. I saw on here somewhere that the specs are 96 inch pounds but I think that is waaay to light, my old one was certainly tighter than that. I called them a couple days ago but they never returned my call. I had to buy a 12 point 12mm socket to fit the bolts but that wasn't too bad. I will see how it goes tomorrow.

I read on another forum that the new MT drive shaft fits both the GL1500 and the GL1800. That information came from a post by Motor Trike. Ask them if you are interested in the new drive shaft.

Hey Woolie.

The drive shaft is torqued to 75 foot pounds. What makes it feel like more when removing it is the RED Loctite you need to put on the bolts before inserting them. A couple drops on the threads close to the end is all it takes but it is important.

BTW You will really like that new shaft. MotorTrike hit a home run with it on the third try.

Ride Safe my friend... :xszpv::xszpv:

Ignorant new triker here. Recently got a 1500 MT... what is the difference bergen the old and new shaft? Is it a necessary upgrade?

Howdy Joe. WELCOME TO TRIKE TALK!!

First of all let me comment on something Woolie said. I don't know if this new shaft will fit GL1500 trikes. I know it will fit all GL1800 MotorTrike kits. You might give Richard a call at MotorTrike and ask that question.

Now to your question. Motor trike has had several different driveshaft for their GL1800 conversions.

The early ones were very similar if not identical to yours and the front U-Joint was not replaceable. The independent suspension MotorTrike conversion is called an Adventure. That is what I use to have. MotorTrike went through three versions of the driveshaft. This third one is much stouter and the front yoke fully engages the splines so the vibration issue many of us fought for years is all but eliminated. Also both front and rear U-Joints are now replaceable.

If you are not having any issues with noise or vibration I'd say it's not necessary. I would still call if I were you and find out if the new shaft will work for you. If it does, prevention might be better then a breakdown on the road...

I can tell some difference, not a lot, but I wasn't having any problems. I think it is somewhat smoother (no vibration). There aren't many smooth roads around here to test it on. Texas roads have really gone to pot these last 8 years. The main reason I replaced it was for easier maintenance. I wasn't excited about pulling the old shaft out and greasing the splines, then trying to get it back together, exactly the same and not have any vibration. I have read too many stories about you guys that have been fighting that problem. Now, even if I take it to the shop to get it greased I won't have to worry about the mechanic getting it back together, it will only fit 1 way. The cost was 150 bucks plus shipping, I'm pleased. If I were having a problem they may have replaced it but I didn't even ask.

Joe, like Jerry said, if you aren't having a problem I wouldn't worry about it but if you are ever interested, call Motor Trike, they are very helpful or have been to me. I read on their Facebook page that the shaft fits both the 1500 and 1800 but call and ask, it's a free call.

On their web sight it shows a new drive shaft for the 1500 and clicking on the link it shows the same drive shaft.

A few pictures:

Trike Pic 026A.JPG

Trike Pic 023A.JPG

This is how I raise my trike: The jack is not supporting anything, I just pushed it under there so you could see how I lift it. The blocks under the front are not 1 piece, I have two 6 inch and two 3 inch screwed together and sanded down flat on top and bottom so there is no wobble. That way I can get whatever height I want or need.

Trike Pic 017A.JPG

Trike Pic 019A.JPG

Trike Pic 038A.JPG

This is the cross member bracket and the larger U bracket is the newer bracket. The cross piece looks to be exactly the same, with one laid on top of the other the holes look the same.

Trike Pic 016A.JPG

Again, Jerry thanks, see you down the road somewhere.

GREAT follow up post Woolie!!!! Thanks for the tip about MT putting info on the new driveshaft for 1500 on their site. That is wonderful news. Now Joe won't have to call..... :):)

"RED" who said use RED?
I used Blue.
If you have to ever remove it you will need to put heat on it.

MotorTrike install manual says RED and that is what I have always used. Have had the drive shaft on my '06 Adventure out a dozen times at least. Never used heat once. :xszpv::xszpv:

MotorTrike install manual says RED and that is what I have always used. Have had the drive shaft on my '06 Adventure out a dozen times at least. Never used heat once. :xszpv::xszpv:

I remove my drive shaft every 10,000 miles to grease the splines. never once have I put locktite on any of those bolts and have never had one come loose.

MotorTrike vibration problem

I am new to Trike talk and am new to Trikes I see you mentioned vibration problems. I just had my 05 1800 gold wing converted to a trike last fall. I had asked the installer to install a new front tire along with the rest of the conversion. When I showed up to pick it up the Mechanic said it had a vibration in it caused by the front tire because it was cupped.

Of course I was surprised to hear that ,and when I asked the dealer why he didn't put on the new tire he got a dumb look on his face and said he didn't think I needed one. I knew then I was being lied to .He forgot to tell his mechanic to install it . So this made it hard to trust anything he said from that point on. I mentioned that there wasn't any vibration when I rode it to his shop on two wheels.

So I took it home about 100 miles. After about half way I was convinced that it wasn't a tire problem as the vibration went away when the throttle was released even though I was still traveling at the same speed. The mirrors vibrated so bad that I couldn't tell what was behind me unless I let the throttle off. After I got home I called the installer and told him that I thought the vibration wasn't caused by the tire.

He disagreed so I asked him to order a tire and he could put it on the bike to see if that would correct the problem. When I took it back both he and his mechanic took it for a ride said it was the tire so they changed it then took it for a ride and brought it back and put it on the lift and changed the drive shaft. the mechanic said there was some slop in it .

They told me there was still some vibration ,but that it was normal. So I took it home and the vibration was about 80% better but still there under power. recently I noticed it seems to go away after 3000 rpms. My question is is this normal.
Howdy Joe. WELCOME TO TRIKE TALK!!

First of all let me comment on something Woolie said. I don't know if this new shaft will fit GL1500 trikes. I know it will fit all GL1800 MotorTrike kits. You might give Richard a call at MotorTrike and ask that question.

Now to your question. Motor trike has had several different driveshaft for their GL1800 conversions. The early ones were very similar if not identical to yours and the front U-Joint was not replaceable. The independent suspension MotorTrike conversion is called an Adventure.

That is what I use to have. MotorTrike went through three versions of the driveshaft. This third one is much stouter and the front yoke fully engages the splines so the vibration issue many of us fought for years is all but eliminated. Also both front and rear U-Joints are now replaceable.

If you are not having any issues with noise or vibration I'd say it's not necessary. I would still call if I were you and find out if the new shaft will work for you. If it does, prevention might be better then a breakdown on the road...

So I took it home and the vibration was about 80% better but still there under power. recently I noticed it seems to go away after 3000 rpms. My question is is this normal.

If you search the forum long enough you will find a small group of MotorTrike owners that have had significant vibration issues. I use to be one of those. I'll give you a very shortened version of the history so maybe you'll have some peace of mine.

You have to understand that by design you will have some vibration. The engine output shaft is located in the lower right side and the trike differential input is centered and slight lower to the ground. This configuration results in a concentric motion while the drive shaft is turning. MotorTrike has gone through three different driveshaft / U-Joint redesigns attempting to minimize this condition. This latest drive shaft design is a HUGE improvement over anything previous. I put one of these on my '06 MotorTrike Adventure and was finally able to ride with useable rearview mirrors.

Longer wheel base trikes with the offset drive shaft design (Roadsmith) do not have as much vibration because the angle between the engine output shaft and differential input is less. Conversions with straight shaft design (DFT & Hannigan) have virtually none because the concentric motion is eliminated.

Hopefully that helps you understand the driveshaft some. There are other things that do cause vibration and each add to the aggravation. Wheel and tires are key elements. Any deformity or balance issues will result in vibration in your mirrors. I have also heard of loose mirror mounting bolts and broken brackets causing this same issue. All you can do is eliminate the potential cause one at a time.

I personally add a couple ounces of Dyna Beads to each tire after they are Road Force balanced (which is another topic). The Dyna Beads remain dormant until the tire begins to ware unevenly; at which time they begin to compensate for that uneven ware.

We hope you are enjoying he Razor!! :xszpv::xszpv:

Ignorant new triker here. Recently got a 1500 MT... what is the difference bergen the old and new shaft? Is it a necessary upgrade?

We had a 1995 GL1500 Motor Trike. It had the stock Honda Goldwing front yoke, which was non-serviceable. No grease zerk, and it was pressed together so the parts were non-replaceable. As was mentioned, due to the angle of the drive shaft from the side of the transmision to the middle of the axle and the shortness of the shaft the front yoke had a lot of stress on it. It was not uncommon for to hear stories of the front yoke giving out. Some folks even kept a replacement driveshaft with them on trips. (We did after the adventure below)

A friend of ours had hers let go in her diveway coming home from a ride. She said she noticed a metallic rubbing or grinding noise and slight vibration on her solid axle ladder bar suspension
kit. The noise got worse and sounded like a grinding wheel on metal right before it broke. They had a spare, and her husband changed it out in about 20 minutes. I can't remember where he got the replacement, (possibly Motor Trike) but it had a grease zerk on the front yoke. It has been close to 10 years and they haen't has any more problems.
Yom might call the MotorTrike office in Troup TX. Contact info on the website:

http://www.motortrike.com/TrikeContactUs.aspx

I am new to Trike talk and am new to Trikes I see you mentioned vibration problems. I just had my 05 1800 gold wing converted to a trike last fall. I had asked the installer to install a new front tire along with the rest of the conversion. When I showed up to pick it up the Mechanic said it had a vibration in it caused by the front tire because it was cupped. Of course I was surprised to hear that ,and when I asked the dealer why he didn't put on the new tire he got a dumb look on his face and said he didn't think I needed one. I knew then I was being lied to .He forgot to tell his mechanic to install it . So this made it hard to trust anything he said from that point on. I mentioned that there wasn't any vibration when I rode it to his shop on two wheels. So I took it home about 100 miles. After about half way I was convinced that it wasn't a tire problem as the vibration went away when the throttle was released even though I was still traveling at the same speed. The mirrors vibrated so bad that I couldn't tell what was behind me unless I let the throttle off. After I got home I called the installer and told him that I thought the vibration wasn't caused by the tire. He disagreed so I asked him to order a tire and he could put it on the bike to see if that would correct the problem. When I took it back both he and his mechanic took it for a ride said it was the tire so they changed it then took it for a ride and brought it back and put it on the lift and changed the drive shaft. the mechanic said there was some slop in it . They told me there was still some vibration ,but that it was normal. So I took it home and the vibration was about 80% better but still there under power. recently I noticed it seems to go away after 3000 rpms. My question is is this normal.
First, if your dealer didn't think you needed a trike, would he not have installed the kit. I agree that sounds like an excuse. I don't understand why someone can't just say, crap I forgot or didn't understand. I would have a lot more respect for them, nobody is perfect, anyone can make a mistake, it is how they handle it that matters.

You didn't mention what brand and model kit you had installed, or maybe I missed it. As Gold Rush said, these vibration problems are linked to the Motor Trike Adventure Kit and I had no vibration problems before I replaced the shaft. I guess there was a little but it didn't affect my mirrors and I never expected Cadillac smooth. I have a Bridgestone BT 45 rear tire on the front (not reversed) and since I put that on I have a little vibration or more like road noise at about 25 or 30 mph. I just get passed it. If the thing breaks I'll just get a convertible or maybe a stick horse, I have always found them to be pretty tame. I use the Centramatic balancers on the front and regular wheel weights on the rear.

I had no problems with the drive shaft. It was either remove the original shaft to service it or install the new one to make the job easier next time. I chose the latter. BTW I used Blue Locktite on the bolts. I very seldom ever use Red, just Blue, Green or none.

Finally, if you have a little vibration it will probably be hard to eliminate but if it is bad enough to bother you I would stay after it. If you are riding a Motor Trike and suspect the drive shaft, just remove the right engine cover and look at the front U-joint, if it is blue it is the old shaft and the joints could be 1 tooth out of time, that will cause vibration, but if it is the green joint and yoke, then it is the new shaft and it cannot be out of time, it will only fit the rear part of the shaft 1 way. With a new kit, I would be willing to bet you have the new shaft. I would try the balance beads before anything else. With it being a new kit I really don't understand why you might have got a bad shaft and it needing to be replaced the first time, I would take a look at that front yoke. It should be green and it should have a grease fitting sticking out the side of one of the needle bearing cups.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png