Proactive fix for potential radio damage on 2006-2011 Trikes/Touring bikes

Apr 3, 2015
midvale, ut, usa
Proactive fix for potential radio damage on 2006-2011 Trikes/Touring bikes

This affects touring model bikes and trikes of model year 2006 through 2011 (built before Oct 2010).

This is something some of you undoubtedly know about. But I've mentioned it to several people I know who hadn't heard of it so I thought I'd post it here for others who might benefit. Most people don't look into things until after they are experiencing the problem. This being how I found out about it.

The fairing brackets breaking is one issue with excessive vibration and subsequent radio damage or failure. Another is riser bolt impact on the bottom of the radio case. There was a TSB put out on it which i've posted here in a picture. It gives part numbers for the new bolts. You only have to change the two that impact the radio case.

The job isn't too difficult. I'm not sure what the dealer would charge to do it, probably their minimum shop charge. I did it in about a half hour. You pull the headlight, windshield and outer fairing, disconnect the radio, undo the four bolts on the sides of the radio holding it in place, slide it back a couple inches and then you can change the riser bolts from the other side. Hardest part for me was getting the bolts back in on the sides of the radio. I found that careful use of one of those extendable magnets and a ball head allen wrench worked pretty slick. I used the magnet to hold the screw and slide it back into position then carefully insert the wrench through the access holes and get them started, careful not to cross thread.

We had an 07 ultra that had the radio crap out, this was determined to be the likely cause. Iron Cross Audio fixed the radio and I changed out the bolts. Also changed them on my dad's 2010 triglide.

Hopefully I'm not bringing up ancient history here, I'm sure there are some guys out there who probably haven't heard of this and might still save them a repair bill on a radio.

Sorry the pics might be a little tough to read. I'm not sure how they'll show up on a computer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 92
Thanks for posting that Sarge, I did not know about that.:clapping:
I just bought some new 10" mini-apes, so I may as well replace those bolts while i'm in there.
I'm curious if there will be any marks on the bottom of radio...

Thanks for posting that Sarge, I did not know about that.:clapping:
I just bought some new 10" mini-apes, so I may as well replace those bolts while i'm in there.
I'm curious if there will be any marks on the bottom of radio...

Yeah, no problem. Good luck with the new bars. I'm going to be doing that soon as well.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png