2015 transmission

dirtdobber

Gone But Never Forgotten
Jul 8, 2011
sand mountain, AL
I have been riding HD's for a lot of years. Each time I trade I find something that sticks out as a pleasant surprise.
our new flrt transmission is the best I have seen on a Harley.
There are a lot of improvement since 2012. For me the coolest feature is the tach and gear indicator.
What are some of the new gadgets tat you find cool?

Breaks. Huge improvement from 2009. Parking break as well. Add front forks to the list. MoCo made some much needed improvements all around.

The last Harley I had was a 2005 Electra Glide Classic CVO with 103 engine. The FLRT 103 motor seems to have more torque in stock condition. The stock mufflers sound pretty good too. So far I haven't changed them out. Overall performance in stock mode seems to be very good, so much so that I may just leave it stock. I like the 6 speed tranny and the 6 gallon tank. As you mentioned the tranny is an improvement.

Now for the dislikes: Still no voltage meter or even a light. I have added an aftermarket voltage indicator like I had on my 2000 Road King. The stock seat still sucks.

The Sundowner is an improvement but still not as good as a Mustang, Corbin, Ultimate, etc. Only 2 windshields available and the 20" is not tall enough. Main gripe is the lack of accessories available for the FLRT. Harley really missed the boat by bringing out the FLRT without having a better selection of accessories ready to go.

Overall though I really like the FLRT.

Sunman

The last Harley I had was a 2005 Electra Glide Classic CVO with 103 engine. The FLRT 103 motor seems to have more torque in stock condition. The stock mufflers sound pretty good too. So far I haven't changed them out. Overall performance in stock mode seems to be very good, so much so that I may just leave it stock. I like the 6 speed tranny and the 6 gallon tank. As you mentioned the tranny is an improvement.

Now for the dislikes: Still no voltage meter or even a light. I have added an aftermarket voltage indicator like I had on my 2000 Road King. The stock seat still sucks.

The Sundowner is an improvement but still not as good as a Mustang, Corbin, Ultimate, etc. Only 2 windshields available and the 20" is not tall enough. Main gripe is the lack of accessories available for the FLRT. Harley really missed the boat by bringing out the FLRT without having a better selection of accessories ready to go.

Overall though I really like the FLRT.

Sunman

Sunman how tall are you? The reason I ask is I am debating the 20" windshield. The 20" on my Road King was a hair tall and top was right at my vision point. It needed to be a little shorter say 19" or 18".

On our new Freewheeler trike the 20" windshield may be fine. I don't know as I have not picked up the new trike yet and have not ordered a windshield yet like you say only the 16" & 20" available.

I could order a rifle replacement windscreen screen only, they are nice and come in diffrent heights your choice in 1 inch increments. They also look like the factory ones but are a little thicker, very nice replacements.

On the test ride trike we road last month it had a 16" windshield on it and it was ok. I could see over it just fine but maybe could have been an inch or so taller. I am 5.8 1/2" tall myself and would go shorter before taller if the windshield top edge splits my line of vision.

Thank's:)

Ride Safe,

Bill G

The FLRT had the nicest transmission of any H-D I have ever ridden. Putting it in 1st gear from neutral,there was no clunk at all.

Bill,I'm also 5'8" with 29" inseam. The test ride FW I rode had a 20" windshield and I could just look over the top.

Bill, I am 6' 1". I test rode with a 16" and it was just way to short. The 20" stops most of the wind buffeting but I think a 22" would be perfect. I am going to start looking around to see what I can find. Have bought Cee Bailey's before and was very happy with their quality. Will also check out the one you suggested.

Also, I have a Sundowner seat and it may set me a little higher than the stock seat.

Sunman

The FLRT had the nicest transmission of any H-D I have ever ridden. Putting it in 1st gear from neutral,there was no clunk at all.

Bill,I'm also 5'8" with 29" inseam. The test ride FW I rode had a 20" windshield and I could just look over the top.

Thank you Clint,

The Freewheeler has a hydraulic assist & slip clutch pack in it. This makes me wonder if this is part of the reason the Harley clunk is almost nill and all is so smooth. If I remember correctly The hydraulic assist & slip clutch pack set up in the Harley catalog says it works better with high HP and Hi torque engines and works better when gearing down.

Harley also did some gear improvements on the 2014 and up 6 speed tranys along with the newer style compensater being used now. All this could be the reason why all is much smoother. The Freewheeler we test road shifted better than any other Harley I have owned to date. I hope the new one is the same way.

Take Care, :)
Bill G

Last edited:
Bill, I am 6' 1". I test rode with a 16" and it was just way to short. The 20" stops most of the wind buffeting but I think a 22" would be perfect. I am going to start looking around to see what I can find. Have bought Cee Bailey's before and was very happy with their quality. Will also check out the one you suggested.
I found a good deal on a 7 hole 11" windshield off a Road King that I picked up and then bought a 16" Long Ride Shields replacement shield and it works pretty good for me. I'm 5' 9" so a 16" may not work as well for you but they offer 16", 18", and 20" re-curve shields that are supposed to let you get by with a shorter shield. Plus I think they have a 50% off deal going right now.
Red

Also, I have a Sundowner seat and it may set me a little higher than the stock seat.

Sunman

Sunman thanks,

Like you say if the Sundowner seat brings me up a little maybe the 20" is or will be the way to go.

The Rifle windscreens I mentioned are very good quality thicker, very nicely finished edges and very clear. Also a lot of colors and height options available. They are my go to replacements for the Harley.

Take Care, :)

Bill G

I thought mine was 22inch windshield.
any how I will be replacing the shield only with a LRS 22 inch recurve in time.

I will measure mine to make sure.
I know one thing they draw a lot of attention.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png