Moving to a trike - not sure where to start

Aug 11, 2013
EVERETT
Greetings, after 45 years of riding, I need to move to a trike but am having trouble getting started. Current bike is a '99 Goldwing and would like to keep it and convert it to a trike. We live about 20 miles north of Seattle and haven't been able to find any kind of dealer in the area. I am currently interested in the Champion but have an open mind and really don't know how to get started or where I can see a Champion or any other brand.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

welcome aboard. Start by going to the people that advertise on this forum and go to their web sites. Look at their products. Hopefully some members from your neck of the woods will pop on and see if you can meet up to look at their trike. The GW will make a fine conversion. Pick a look then contact the manufacturer and see if they have a dealer near you. There are a lot of decisions that only you can make because they pertain to your tastes. Good Luck ask questions.

Welcome to the TT family.
You might start your search by contacting OnThree Trike Conversions in Redmond. It's only about a 20 minute drive for you. I think they do Lehman and Champion, maybe others.

I've had trikes with Lehman, Hannigan, and Roadsmith bodies. They each have their good and bad features, so it winds up being personal preference. I'm currently riding a GL1800 Roadsmith trike and am happy with it.

OK, I googled OnThree and found their web site at http://www.onthreetrikes.com/
Give them a call and visit their shop. Good luck.

Bob,

Take your time looking... it took us nearly two years to make up our mind..... we chose Roadsmith. And unless your 99' Wing is worn out save some money, sure, I did also ..... here's a good link with many trike manufacturers in one spot... most have Dealer listings attached.

http://cruiserlinks.com/motorcycle-manufacturer-directory/trike-manufacturers-conversions/

and here's Roadsmith as it wasn't on that page.... http://www.trikeshop.com/

A few points to remember:
1. Everyone that owns a Trike will think theirs is best...
2. Ride every one you can to become familiar... remember they don't lean. But if they do they are setup wrong....
3. Print off Price Sheets on each dealers site and mark the options you are interested in......
4. Priority - looks is nice but function will get you home....
5. Bigger Priority - Find the best dealer for the brand you choose, even if it requires a drive to get there...
6. And take your time, enjoy the process, ask questions, you know your getting close when you've narrowed it down to your top two choices that have the options you want.... and Welcome to Trike Talk and the world of Triking.....

None of us know it all, but some will tell you they do !!!

Thanks to each of you who responded. This gives me some great ideas and good places to start. I was unaware of OnThree Trikes which is in my local area - I appreciate the link. I plan to visit them soon to begin my education.

I actually had a sidecar on a previous Wing about 20 years ago so I am somewhat familiar with riding on 3 wheels.

Definitely looking forward to the quest and eventual purchase.

Thanks again,

Bob

Steps....
1) Find what dealers are within a 2 hour drive from you
I would not buy from a dealer/installer farther out than that. Why?? When it breaks
who ya gonna call?? ghostbusters?
2) Once you find the dealers, go ride the models they carry
TAKE THE WIFE

But here are some rules of thumb
There are straight axle bikes and there are independent suspension bikes. however most of the straight axle dealers are all going independent.
Independents want to be straight axles in the turns, and straight axles want to be independents on rough roads.
Independents use sway-bars to make themselves more stable feeling in the turns, and straight axles use things like airbags and springs to make the ride more cushy, over bumps.

Neither is going to be perfect in each case, but you have to find your comfort zone.

Longer and wider bikes are by their very nature going to run smoother, the wider bikes include Hannigan, and Roadsmith, and to a lesser extent California sidecar. The longer wheelbase gets Mama out from being right over the rear axle, which makes for a smoother ride for her.
DFT has the advantage of actually using the stock Honda swingarm, and the bike can be returned to a 2 wheeler if desired.
Lehman, and Champion (straight axles) are going to ride a little harder than most, but they turn corners like they are on rails.
Motortrike straight axle falls somewhere in between.

I mention the straight axle in passing because most manufacturers now have an independent suspension offering. Including Lehman, the last die-hard stalwart of the solid axle, now has an independent, (its a variant on the champion independent rear end)

The Eurotrike, is as it implies from Europe, nicely built bike, and I almost bought one, that was until I saw the rather lacking dealer network. Again who you gonna call??

People will tell you that you MUST have a rake… I beg to differ.
I have never had a rake, and I ride just fine with no fatigue. And did the dragon.

A rake WILL make turning easier, BUT… You WILL INCREASE YOUR TURNING RADIUS. The higher the rake (number in degrees) the wider the turning radius.

But try them all and make a choice. And I don’t mean toodle around some parking lot.
Put that baby on the road. Oh and did I mention…. TAKE THE WIFE, GIRLFRIEND OR WHAT EVER.

welcome aboard. Start by going to the people that advertise on this forum and go to their web sites. Look at their products. Hopefully some members from your neck of the woods will pop on and see if you can meet up to look at their trike. The GW will make a fine conversion. Pick a look then contact the manufacturer and see if they have a dealer near you. There are a lot of decisions that only you can make because they pertain to your tastes. Good Luck ask questions.

Exactly...there is a State Forum here at TRIKE TALK also...post You a Thread there and You will most likely find Members in Your Area.....ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png