5K Service

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
Just did it on my trike. Okay, so it's not a big deal doing it myself ... but I thought I'd shed some light on how much you can save, not to mention I know it was done right.

I scanned the maintenance schedule and printed a copy to use as a work sheet. Got the shop manuals out and read about it.

Next I went to Harley and purchased a gallon of syn 3, an o-ring for the drain and a new filter. Total cost after vet discount (10%) $58.96.

Then I went home and did the service. Most of it is common sense stuff that doesn't require any mechanical ability. The oil change is no tougher than doing a car, a little tighter to get under the trike, but not rocket science. The only tough part is checking the drive belt tension, and if you spend the 20 something dollars for the tool and follow the service manual and tool instructionsit's not tough. Also you will need Harley Lube as per the maintenance schedule. And some rags.

I also recommend a set of the disposable rubber gloves for mechanics, I get mine at Home Depot, cheapest place in town. Sun 3 smells funky and is a little tough to get the smell off your hands although lemon juice works well.

My dealer charges $395 for the 5k. Cost me $58.96 and two hours time (includes reading about it). Oil needs to be disposed of safely, not down the storm drain. Most auto parts places will recycle it for free. They provide you the service, they get to sell the used oil, you buy stuff there. Win Win. If you do just one, you can save enough to get all the labor saving devices and probably feel good about yourself.

Labor Saving Devices I use:

-fancy drain pan that fits under the trike - HD - also used to take oil to recycle

-primary oil fill funnel (not used on 5k) - HD

-tool that catches oil from filter when removed - HD

-drive belt tension tool - HD

Some tips. I initial every step on the service schedule as I do it. When I'm done I sign, date and time it.

I also attach the receipt for any parts. All so I can prove it was done.

Okay, now I am assuming we all have a basic set of wrenches, sockets, etc. But even if you don't, Sears sells mechanic sets for less than $100 that will have most of what you need. I got into the habit of wrenching on my bike with tools I carry on the bike. If I find my tool set I carry is missing something, I evaluate weather or not I need to add it. For instance, the tension tool isn't in my travel set. If I need to adjust or replace the belt on the road (yes I carry a spare belt, might not be a roadside repair, but if I get the trike to a gas station with a mechanic, I got the belt), I can get it close enough by "feel" to get me home or to a dealer. Again, common sense is authorized here. I have four 9" x 12" canvass bank bags that I keep the travel tools in. 1 is for sale, 1 is for metric, 1 is for torx and socket wrench and extensions, and 1 is for misc.

stuff, screw drivers, knife, pliers, crest wrench, etc. These fit nicely into nooks and crannies in the trunk, weight is low and secure, although not as big a deal on the trike. In the Ultra I laid the in the bottom of the saddlebags.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should do your own wrenching because I know there are many that don't want to get on the floor and do it. It's each to his or her own. But I thought I'd post this to maybe give someone the idea to do it ... worse case ... if ya mess up, the dealer will always bail ya out ... for a price. Now there are services that I'm not sure I'd tackle ... but those I can still have the dealer do.

Hope somebody finds this helpful.

Yep, good post on service. I've got two more freebee's left on my service contract and then I will start doing them myself. :)

Thanks guys ... I was kinda hoping to inspire somebody to jump in and do it ... Just seems like a rip off to me to have a parts changer do the service then me having to check his work ... although ... Tony, my tech, is really good. I haven't found much he misses.

Did the 20K oil change this weekend and checked tires, fluid levels, etc. prepping for a road trip this week.

Biggest problem I have is getting up after laying on the garage floor for awhile. The old legs just don't work like they used to. Other than that, I prefer to do my own routine wrenching.

Have been doing my own service since the 10,000. Have over 45,000 on it now. Thought this past winter to have the shop check the bike over. While they did I had them change the oil and filter and see if they could find an oil leak I couldn't find.

They said they found a couple loose bolts. They did find the oil leak. An aftermarket Derby cover had warped and was leaking. They put a new one on and didn't charge me for it.

In the transportation from the shop to home the back up motor went out. They came back the next day and picked it back up and put a new back up motor on it. Covered by extended warranty. Never charged for transportation or the fee for the motor on the extended warranty.

Needless to say I was treated very well.

ThumbUp

Don't get me wrong guys .. I wasn't bashing Harley service, all in all I've had good luck with them. Found them to be mostly professional, but, sometimes human too.

I do pool repairs/sales for a living ... even there I encourage my customers to do what ever maintenance they can. It makes them a better pool owner/customer. I can't tell you how many times a customer calls and say the big yellow thing is leaking or the noisy thing is really hot. Or worse, they'll call and say the pump is leaking, I bring all the pump parts and the filter is leaking.

I just feel if we delve into some of the simpler maintenance on our rides, we become more intimate with them and quite possibly better riders. This is similar to riding ... do what you're comfortable with, if you can do a big bore kit and cams, go for it.

If oil changes are all your comfortable with, that's fine too. Just my $0.02 worth. And if you do the big bore kit and cams ... remember ... we want pics ... :D

I do as much service as I able to do myself on my Electra Glide, but now with the Tri-Glide starting out slower and learning from all of you. Found a lot of very useful information here. Thanks everyone.

I watch Youtube videos and there is a ton of info on routine motorcycle maintenance, no matter what brand you own. It's not always 100% accurate because of model year differences, but close enough.

I figure that servicing my Suzuki, BMW, and Honda trikes over the years has saved me about $5,000. That's a lot of beer money!

I'm like Rod, though, and take the trike to a dealer every year or so for a general check up. The mechanics usually notice something, like a deteriorating hose or failing spark plug. I appreciate their expertise and have them fix the problem.

I've never gotten any push back from the dealer about doing my own oil changes, brake pads, etc. I just tell them the service I performed and when it was done. I think they really appreciate that we can do some wrenching on our own.

I have done all of my own service and repairs over the years. The only time my bikes have seen a repair shop is if it was a warranty repair or something that I did not have specialty tools for and the cost for the repairs was about what it was going to cost to buy the required special tools. I think I can do as good or better a job, save a ton of money and time and know that the job is done right. Besides, I enjoy wrenching. Course now that I am older laying on the floor is not much fun!

Sunman

After I saw what my dealer charged me for my 1K service (2 weeks after I bought my '14 TG) I decided to do the work myself. Bought a complete set of service manuals, and have since done my 5K, 10K, 15K and getting ready for my 20K in the next day or so before we head out for a week in Tenn to hit the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway and others. I figure that what I saved by doing my own service more than paid for the vacation trip!

Did the 20K oil change this weekend and checked tires, fluid levels, etc. prepping for a road trip this week.

Biggest problem I have is getting up after laying on the garage floor for awhile. The old legs just don't work like they used to. Other than that, I prefer to do my own routine wrenching.

That is me !!! Ditto doing all my own service work on the bikes and cars for years. Now, I would have to hire an assistant to help me up, and the deductible on my medical insurance would pay for it. When I had my 5K service done on the 'Free they charged me $249. They called and told me that when I added the CFR (knock-offs) I was running a tad lean and they would re-flash my computer to straighten it out. Dropped it off, went to breakfast with wifey, and picked it up an hour later. Frankly couldn't feel any difference in the running. Didn't have to take an extra Aleve or a couple of Tylenol. I do miss wrenching like the old days, I do stuff that can be done standing up. Old age is really the pits.

I do stuff that can be done standing up. Old age is really the pits.

I have really bad knees, which is why I bought a trike to begin with ... I also bought a mechanics chair at harbor freight that helps me with everything except draining oil ... might try it.

As for old age being the pits ... I concur ... my doc was doing my annual last year and realized I had turned 60 ... he literally wrung his hands and said, "Ah ... 60, you are mine now, Old age is not for sissies." He did a whole battery of tests, which were all normal praise God, and then actually looked disappointed that I was good. I assured him the knees are really close to needing replacing ... he's been trying to get me to have them done for 15 years ... guess this winter I'll do that ... maybe ... :D

Never took any bike back for scheduled maint since 1968. Only warranty work. I always get the manuals and learn my bike. For me wrenching is therapy. Love it. Probably saved enough over the years to pay for the Free I got last year.

Great reading. I ride 20K to 25K a year so if I can save $250.00 to $300.00 each time I can afford the lift I want after the first year. That will help my do more work on my trike... ThumbUp:D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png