Windshield height - looking over it or through it!

May 10, 2015
Rockford, MI, USA
Almost all my life I have been looking over the top of the windshield or fairing. Most of the tasty bugs and road grit, etc., stop there. There are a few of the stubborn beetles and other critters that don't seem to understand that airflow thing and come right through, just over the top and smack me in the face.

Well, I'm kind of sick of it, so I thought I might go to a taller shield on the Tri-glide. Stock measures about 10" and I look over it. I figure 12" or taller would make me look through it.
So before I buy a new one I thought I'd get some opinions. Will I be sorry....should I just suck it up? What happens when it rains? Clear vs a light tint. Tint would deter my night driving which I don't like anyway! Fancy curves for airflow?

Any opinions?

Tx!

windshield hight

Almost all my life I have been looking over the top of the windshield or fairing. Most of the tasty bugs and road grit, etc., stop there. There are a few of the stubborn beetles and other critters that don't seem to understand that airflow thing and come right through, just over the top and smack me in the face.

Well, I'm kind of sick of it, so I thought I might go to a taller shield on the Tri-glide. Stock measures about 10" and I look over it. I figure 12" or taller would make me look through it.
So before I buy a new one I thought I'd get some opinions. Will I be sorry....should I just suck it up? What happens when it rains? Clear vs a light tint. Tint would deter my night driving which I don't like anyway! Fancy curves for airflow?

Any opinions?

Tx!

I would think most will tell you, low enough to see over. how ever I ride a gl 1500 se . when riding with the wife on back the wind was beating her up, so I went to the tall and have to look thur. it is unconformable for me in the rain, but I can see well enough to drive. and have in some hard rains. I guess I will stay with the tall. if mama is not happy no one is happy. I use a slip screen tall. it slants back and is a head knocker until you get use to it .

I Always looked over the shield, I keep the height at about two inch's below my eyes.

Years ago i had an 1800 VTX, And I put a large Memphis Shades on [See through] Riding in rain I couldn't see a thing, And at night on coming headlights would blind me, Rain or not..:Shrug:
Got rid of it for a lower one..

There are several out there that are as clear as looking through your car windshield. I prefer to look through myself and the good ones shed the rain well.

I am most comfortable looking over a windshield , my old 83 flt stock windshield was tall enough that I needed to set up straight to see over it or i could slouch down a little in heavy rain/hale etc. and look through it.. the fixed fairing was the most comfortable touring fairing I ever had,, will be doing that style again on my trike build..
magoo

I like looking thru but at a height that I can see over if I straighten up and really try. Being able to only see thru can become dangerous in rain and especially fog.

The stock HD windshield hit me somewhere below my chin, so I bought a Windsplitter, curved wonder windshield and I got head buffeting and rain that exited right over the windshield directly into my mouth. Great for those days where a refreshing drink of water is welcome. Not so when it's 40*. So I bought the tallboy HD windshield which I now look through. No more buffeting, it's clear and distortion free and keeps the wife from buffeting too. Rain goes over my head along with those damn big juicy bugs. Bottom line, I lost some protein but gained in comfort. I will continue to look through mine. If it is raining so hard I can't see through it, I am pulling over. My wife taught me that last time we rode through a monsoon and I didn't stop. That little woman has a mean left jab I will tell you that !

as you can read you have a split decision. Well I like both. I only do not like a shield that ends up in the middle of my site line. There are advantages to both. Over the top you have a tendency to see more around you. The look thru does protect you more. Looking thru a good shield is not a problem.

Any opinions?

Tx!

A couple of points... the "fancy curves for airflow" can be a good or bad thing. They effectively work equivalent to a taller windshield because they tend to push the air up and over... but with exceptions. At lower speeds you will get wind in the face (can be good or bad). The laws of physics come into play in the rain... since water is heavier than air, the water tends to not get pushed up and over, it just plows into your face (same for bugs). If you do go with a fancy curved shield, make sure it is one you look over and not through, the curves tend to distort your view.

I recently added a batwing fairing to my 2 wheeler, and bought a shield from Long Ride Shields. It is a nice compromise... it is a pretty traditional looking shield with a slight flip at the top that you can look through without being distorted. Their customer service was great. Here is a pic of what the shield looks like, it is a 9 inch with a light tint. They will make them in pretty much any size you want.

My old tour glide came with a tall windshield stock and I have never seen a reason to change it out.
I stay dry in the rain.
I look through it with no distortion and I wear my cowboy hat at 80 mph.
Shape has allot to do with it.
If I sit up straight I can peer over the top with no problem.
The Newer road glides come with a short windshield, never rode one so I don't know if it's just as good?

E-18-paulandnewtrike-20002_zps4d567b5a.jpg

Take a look at the F4customs for the HD.
most likely the last shield you'll ever need to buy!
Scratch resistant, repels water and cleaned w/Windex and paper towel.
No problem looking through, just as we always have looked through the windshields of oour cages!!!

I rode about 20 miles today through a pretty heavy downpour. Had my rain suit on, so that was okay, but I just hate the rain hitting directly on the face shield.

My previous trike had a higher windshield. The top was just below eye level and in stormy weather I could crouch a little to keep the splatter off my face shield. I never had a problem seeing through the windshield.

​I also prefer to look thru mine. For the HD riders, new windshields are available from fast aire.com and are very reasonable. $38 if I remember right. I'm not connected to them in any way.

Just wish I could find a way to keep the wind from blowing the rain up from in between the bottom of the fairing and the gas tank and hitting me in the face. Very annoying.

PC

Was always told to look over, about 2". That being said I'm 6'1" and run an 8-1/2" Klock Werks dark tint on the road and a 3-1/2" around town.

My windshield for 50+ years, before buying my first Ultra in 2002, was a bandanna.

8~\o

​I also prefer to look thru mine. For the HD riders, new windshields are available from fast aire.com and are very reasonable. $38 if I remember right. I'm not connected to them in any way.

Just wish I could find a way to keep the wind from blowing the rain up from in between the bottom of the fairing and the gas tank and hitting me in the face. Very annoying.

PC

Check out the deflector mounted to the lower triple tree on Harley dressers and see what idea you might come with to mimic them? They do work well.

Look guys (and gals), if it's really a big deal and you spend a lot of time riding through torrential downpours, then get one of the cycle windshield wipers available from places like Peer Clear, Road Dog Wiper, Eagle Glider, etc.

Believe me, I've thought about it myself. Then it occurs to me that if the motorcycle gods intended for us to have windshield wipers then they would already be offered as standard or optional equipment.

For the love of Mike, look how much crappy weather we tough it through on a regular basis already.

Attachments

• bike windshield wiper.jpg
    bike windshield wiper.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 131

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png