slow speed wobble

Dragon

250+ Posts
Dec 28, 2010
oly,wa
Hello

More advice please. I have a slow speed wobble when I start up from a start. it has kinda a wobble

real faint but I feel it, and when I go around a corner from a stop it is more noticeable. at highway

speeds it drives just fine. I tightened

the front bearings a little more and tightened the head bearings

and it still wobbles. thanx

Dragon

This sounds like a tire may have a separation. That is the way my work trucks start acting when a tire is starting to come apart. The back ones are easy to have a tire shop check. See if they will take a good look at the front one for you while it's on the trike. It's not fun when they come apart while you're driving. We've had them come apart on the trucks and it's not fun, that's why I pay attention to my employees when they say the truck is feeling funny. Good Luck Rick

Even though you tightened the steering head you might want to check to see if the bearings in the head are okay. Mine the lower bearing rusted away and one of the symptoms that something was wrong was a wobble besides hard steering. Replaced the bearings in the steering head well lubed, and it never has steered better.

Hello
I should have stated that, I have replaced, steering head bearings, pivot bearings on down tubes,
caliper rebuild, new shocks, new tire and sent the hubs to tbms and got everything replaced, new axle
I guess I have just about replaced everything.:xzqxz:

Thanx
Dragon

I agree with Gorilla, I know you said you put a new tire on so it sounds like something is not tight. If you take the weight off the front, can you shake the tire or see a wobble in it? I would try jacking the front tire off the ground just enough to clear and then spend the tire checking to see if it touches the ground.

Hello

More advice please. I have a slow speed wobble when I start up from a start. it has kinda a wobble

real faint but I feel it, and when I go around a corner from a stop it is more noticeable. at highway

speeds it drives just fine. I tightened

the front bearings a little more and tightened the head bearings

and it still wobbles. thanx

Dragon

Some trikes do have a slow speed wobble on take off and it's no big deal.

I have ridden trikes with that tendency. it's faint and At highway speeds it goes away.

Does it do it if your lugging the engine around town? If it is keep your trike running in a gear where it's always pulling.

Does it have a raked triple tree? is your front tire inflated to the max.?

that may be a cause?

Is this part of the learning curve?

Good news
I had to replace my float pins so when I did that I checked everything
from the bottom to the top, I had a little play in the fork when you move
it from side to side and I could follow it right up to the steering arm.
the steering arm would move slightly but the steering box shaft did not
move. the nut holding on the steering arm was just a little loose so I tightened
it. where the steering arm connects to the steering shaft mine has a cone
arrangement to keep it tight. tighten the nut pushes the cone tighter.
went for nice ride and this seems to have solved my problem.

Dragon

Good news
I had to replace my float pins so when I did that I checked everything
from the bottom to the top, I had a little play in the fork when you move
it from side to side and I could follow it right up to the steering arm.
the steering arm would move slightly but the steering box shaft did not
move. the nut holding on the steering arm was just a little loose so I tightened
it. where the steering arm connects to the steering shaft mine has a cone
arrangement to keep it tight. tighten the nut pushes the cone tighter.
went for nice ride and this seems to have solved my problem.

Dragon

There you go good job of diagnosing and repair.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png