Need some help, Cruise seems to be mal-functioning

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
I'll be hitting a dealer soon, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, what if anything was done to fix it.

2014 Tri-Glide

Since new it seems I've had to put on the front brake more than I'd like to get it to disengage the cruise control....but I figured that is just the way it was spec'd out and have lived with it.

Three times today I hit the front brake, and no matter how hard I squeezed the cruise did NOT disengage. The first time was a surprise, the second and third time was just to test it out.

The cruise did disengage fine when pulling in the clutch lever or applying the rear brakes, and, of course, when hitting the button on the controls.

When I went to test it a fourth time with the front brake, it worked like it always has, so it is the worst kind...an intermittent issue.

TIA

Kevin

Kevin,

That is strange, because I have seen just the opposite on my '14; the rear brake pedal seems to be intermittent at disengaging the cruise, while I have never had any issues with the front. But, just like yours, it is intermittent. I double-checked the brake lights functioning with both, but have not found anything concrete to take to the dealer yet; don't want to have it sit there while they tinker. In the meantime, I rely on the throttle rolloff to cancel the cruise.

Mark

I'll be hitting a dealer soon, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, what if anything was done to fix it.

2014 Tri-Glide

Since new it seems I've had to put on the front brake more than I'd like to get it to disengage the cruise control....but I figured that is just the way it was spec'd out and have lived with it.

Three times today I hit the front brake, and no matter how hard I squeezed the cruise did NOT disengage. The first time was a surprise, the second and third time was just to test it out.

The cruise did disengage fine when pulling in the clutch lever or applying the rear brakes, and, of course, when hitting the button on the controls.

When I went to test it a fourth time with the front brake, it worked like it always has, so it is the worst kind...an intermittent issue.

TIA

Kevin

Several threads over at HDForums about this problem, I see this post http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...trol-won-t-stop-with-brakes.html#post13150936, the dealer replaced the switch housing while seems to be a known issue.

Quick check is when it is acting up have someone see if the brake light is also not working when the offending item does not cause a disengagement. No light would mean the switch is not being activated.

Thank you for the input. I've always just touched the front brake to disengage...every now and then the actual cruise button. I like touching the brake so that it also flashes the brake lights that I am slowing down.

It is a real trip to hit the front brake and have the cruise just give it more gas to try and maintain speed while I am trying to slow down.

It does not do it every-time, maybe once out of every 3 times. But I have stopped messing with it, and am now just rolling the throttle forward to disengage the cruise. It was a fairly easy change to make, now it is second nature.

I have stopped at two HD dealerships with the problem...just got blank stares from the service writers...they had never heard of such a thing, and I would need to leave the bike for untold number of days for them to track it down, get the parts and fix it.

Since 9 times out of 10 when I leave a bike to be fixed with a dealer, they may fix one thing, and then screw another thing up, I am going to continue rolling off the throttle for disengaging the cruise, and I am using the back brake along with the front to make sure my brake lights illuminate for anyone behind me.

Kevin

I've had a different issue. Cruise worked fine when I first got the trike. This year, it will disengage when I go up a hill steep enough to require more torque. On level, down hill or slight incline it stays engaged. I also cannot increase speed with the control button, but can decrease speed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizonak5

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizonak5
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png