coil relocation

Apr 30, 2015
pineville, la
I am going from dual webers to a single weber and the coil is going to be in the way. It is mounted right by the fuel pump. Looks like the old bugs with single carbs had the coil mounted on the fan shroud or cover. I wonder if it as mounted with a sheet metal screw or a bolt with nuts on the back side. Anyone know or where do they have their coil mounted. A picture would be good. I don't take directions too well. Thanks

I can get ya a picture this evening bro.
As your looking at the engine; the coil mounts on the left hand side of the fan shroud. About half way up from the cylinder tin. There should be a couple of holes already in the shroud for the coil bracket.

But I'll shoot a picture tonight and post it here for ya.

You don't have to absolutely put it only there.
That is a handy place and stock plug wires fit it there.
It will function anywhere you can get wires to.

Mine used to be mounted under the starter.
8072283853_d2137072e8_o_zps2iamxcqf.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I will probably try and go with the firewall mount. My coil has only one bolt to hold it. I have a aftermarket fan shroud. I wounder if it is thick enough to use a sheet metal screw to hold the coil and bracket. I may also look at the starter mount also. Thanks for the pictures an suggestions.
You don't have to absolutely put it only there.
That is a handy place and stock plug wires fit it there.
It will function anywhere you can get wires to.

Mine used to be mounted under the starter.
8072283853_d2137072e8_o_zps2iamxcqf.jpg

O I see.
The factory style housing has nutserts in it. Which is a nut made in it.
Definitely need 2 bolts holding it.
Not all coils are ok mounted tower down.
If it is a bosch blue or one intended for a vw tower down is ok.
Self drilling tapping screws tend to come loose with vibration.
My pic was just to show that it don't have to be on the fan. For example if you did not want to drill holes in your shiny fan housing you could mount it in any convenient location.

I wonder if there is any way to mount mine to the firewall without the nuts that are made in to the firewall. I would like to mount it the fan shroud if I could. The one I have will work laying down so I could mount it somewhere else. Any more ideas?
On the firewall will probably work great. You'll just have to get a long coil to distributor wire.

- - - Updated - - -

Death, I forgot to ask . Is that a single bolt coil bracket you used to mount the coil by the starter. I have a single bolt on mine but I have a two bolt ordered in case I have to use a to bolt instead of a a one bolt. I can't make it out in the picture. Thanks
I wonder if there is any way to mount mine to the firewall without the nuts that are made in to the firewall. I would like to mount it the fan shroud if I could. The one I have will work laying down so I could mount it somewhere else. Any more ideas?

Stock 2 bolt. I don't like the single bolt for hanging a coil. Maybe if it is layer flat, but not hanging.

Find someone with a nutsert gun and pop two nuts in. They go in from the outside like a big pop rivet.
Or take the fan housing off and weld two nuts to the inside of it.
Or take it off and bolt a nut plate inside of it.
Or take it off and drill the hole and put a bolt from the inside with a jam nut on the outside, leaving a stud sticking out to mount too.
Or just bolt it solid up and put the fan housing on and worry about how to service it later.

I ordered me two bolt holder. I have a feeling I will mount it somewhere else. I don't want to pull the fan housing off. The insert gun sounds good but I don't know anyone who has one. Man it's always something. Got all my stuff in today. I've also got to figure out someplace to mount a breather but I think I've figured that out. The guys at carcraftstore store said it had to be vented in at least two places. Does that sound right? Hopefully I'll get it figured out. Thanks for the suggestions.
Stock 2 bolt. I don't like the single bolt for hanging a coil. Maybe if it is layer flat, but not hanging.

Find someone with a nutsert gun and pop two nuts in. They go in from the outside like a big pop rivet.
Or take the fan housing off and weld two nuts to the inside of it.
Or take it off and bolt a nut plate inside of it.
Or take it off and drill the hole and put a bolt from the inside with a jam nut on the outside, leaving a stud sticking out to mount too.
Or just bolt it solid up and put the fan housing on and worry about how to service it later.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png