Greetings from Hobe Sound, Fl.

David357

30500+ Posts
May 31, 2015
Hobe Sound, FL.
As a recent newbie, I look forward to participating in the various forums. My current ride is a 2009 Goldwing 1800 with Traxxion suspension. I have had the bike since new. It currently has 85k miles, garage kept and well maintained.

I am in the research stage of preparing the transition to a trike. I have been actively reading the forums over the past couple of weeks. Hopefully, I will be able to come to some reasonable decision on which conversion kit will best suit my needs.

I will be test riding, within a week, the following:

• Hannigan
  • Roadsmith
  • CSC

I understand, from many past posts, that an experienced installer is the key to a successful conversion.

Any input from members will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks to all.

I will be test riding, within a week, the following:

• Hannigan
  • Roadsmith
  • CSC

I understand, from many past posts, that an experienced installer is the key to a successful conversion.

Any input from members will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks to all.

Hi David. I bought a 2012 Wing last fall and had it triked with a Roadsmith kit. (I'm also a big fan of Hannigan.) What helped me decide on the Roadsmith was that the dealer invited me into the shop to talk to the mechanic who was part way through a kit install. He spent about 20 minutes to explain the various components, how they are installed, what maintenance is required and the pros and cons of various options. I was really impressed with his candor and willingness to spend time with me.

I met the owner and he gave me a few references that I could call to ask about their experience with this dealer. They treated me really well. This my third trike and I'm quite happy with it.

Anytime you have a question, post it and you're sure to get a lot of answers and opinions.

Hi David. I bought a 2012 Wing last fall and had it triked with a Roadsmith kit. (I'm also a big fan of Hannigan.) What helped me decide on the Roadsmith was that the dealer invited me into the shop to talk to the mechanic who was part way through a kit install. He spent about 20 minutes to explain the various components, how they are installed, what maintenance is required and the pros and cons of various options. I was really impressed with his candor and willingness to spend time with me.

I met the owner and he gave me a few references that I could call to ask about their experience with this dealer. They treated me really well. This my third trike and I'm quite happy with it.

Anytime you have a question, post it and you're sure to get a lot of answers and opinions.

I would think in shopping for a conversion, this kind of intimacy with your dealer would make the experience sweeter.

Thanks to Everyone

Thanks for the welcomes and information.ThumbUp

I had the opportunity on 6/4/15 to test ride a Hannigan and a Roadsmith at two different businesses. This was my first time on a trike. I plan on test riding some other manufactures soon.

My first ride observations:

The Hannigan had a 4.5 degree rake kit. The Roadsmith had a 5.5 degree rake kit.

The Roadsmith rear tire pressures were set to 35 lbs. according to the dealer. I thought this seemed high. The dealer stood firm on 35 lbs.
The Hannigan rear tire pressures were set to 25 Lbs.
I thought this seemed low.
Roadsmith manufacture recommends 32 lbs while Hannigan recommends 28 lbs.

The Roadsmith steering inputs were slightly easier but seemed twitchy to subtle steering inputs the faster the speed. The Hannigan, on the other hand, required ever slightly more steering input but did not exhibit the twitchy feeling from subtle steering inputs at any speed. Hard cornering and twisty roads felt steady and tracked well on the Hannigan.

Hannigan has an option to install a 6 degree kit in lieu of the 4.5 degree rake kit.

My questions:

• Will the 6 degree rake kit option make the Hannigan more twitchy in cornering and at speed with proper tire pressures?
  • Will setting the Roadsmith rear tire pressures to manufacture recommended pressures reduce the twitchy steering inputs of the 5.5 degree rake kit and the side to side "yawing" sensation?
  • Both manufactures demo trikes would veer to the right, no matter what direction the crown in the road was sloping. Constant pressure needed to be applied to the handle bars to keep a straight line. The Roadsmith required considerably more than the Hannigan. Is this related to the rake and/or rear tire pressures? Is this normal for trikes to pull right?

Thanks for any input on these matters.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png