Voltage/Air Pressure LED

Nov 15, 2012
Delray Beach Florida
Not a real complaint just a question here.
EVENTUALY............
I just had to well didn't have to but did.
Order yet another LED gauge #3 for my MT Adventurer kit.
Is it my bike?? Or is anyone else have difficulties with MTs LED based gauges.

1st went out when the bike was a little over 20 months old.
Right digit in the air side went out. I could get it working by pressing on the lens somewhat.
Hard to tell if its a 0,3,6,8,or 9.
Just annoying.
Motor Trike sends me another under warranty. No problem.

2 weeks ago same thing. Bikes now out of warranty.
I call the newest dealer in MTs system. A 30 minute ride from me. These folks they have no clue what Im asking for.
3 phone calls no help.
Next dealer is 140 miles away. Great folks but Im not going there too far away.

So today I call MT in Texas. Tell them nicely the new guys are useless.
Very nice girl or women if you please takes care of me. Off it goes shipped today.

I didn't expect the next shock but WTF. Life goes on.
$135.00 shipped. G@#$%D!@#$.
For a 2 dollar LED and some wires. Heck guys this isnt 1976 when the 1st LED watch was $400!!!!!!!!!
They give them away in cereal boxes today as free toys.............

Any Hoo just blowing off some steam and let me say this if anyone needs a new gauge.
Find a way to make one that isn't digital........................Analog RULES..............

Yeah, MT in Troup has kinda aggravated me as of late also. In the past I have purchased ujoints and shafts for the Valk, no problem. But a few weeks ago I wanted to purchase the third gen shaft for the Valk, plus one new shaft and a bolt on trailer hitch for the new Adventure, They refused, made me order thru a dealer. I ordered thru H &H, nice enough folks, but of course they add their mark up.

I can't afford to buy new yet, but their not helping owners of out of warranty kits doesn't make me want to buy one of theirs when I can.

Yeah, MT in Troup has kinda aggravated me as of late also. In the past I have purchased ujoints and shafts for the Valk, no problem. But a few weeks ago I wanted to purchase the third gen shaft for the Valk, plus one new shaft and a bolt on trailer hitch for the new Adventure, They refused, made me order thru a dealer. I ordered thru H &H, nice enough folks, but of course they add their mark up.

I can't afford to buy new yet, but their not helping owners of out of warranty kits doesn't make me want to buy one of theirs when I can.

I can understand MT not wanting to sell parts.
It is and does cut off the dealers. Whats the point of having dealers if the mothership cuts them off??
My case might be a bit different.
They, MT are well aware of my dealership issues.
When I bought the bike used. It was with the understanding that I could get what I needed from MT direct. While under warranty anyway. Or have parts sent to the repair shop of my choice. They worked with me on a few repair issues.
In my case at the time the nearest dealership was 140 miles away. And they were new at that time too.
MT said they were working on getting a dealership in my area.
Which they finally have 3 years later.
These guys have no clue at the new dealership.
The women who took care of me in Texas, looked up my account and I had no issues at all.

I can understand them granting a dealer exclusivity in area sales. Just sell it to me, & send him his commission. What I detest is waiting a week for something I need, when they are right up the road from me and I'd gladly drive up there & get it.

are you handy with a soldering iron, I mean REALLY good...??
If so you could remove the old display, and replace it with another one (part is about 6 bucks at Radio shack)

Im very good with electronics. My 1st job was with a company that made early computers I guess you could say to check out the avionics of F4s during the Vietnam war.

But this little unit is what they call potted.
You take all the working components and they are placed in a mold and filled with epoxy.
So there is no getting at anything.
If I put pressure on the lens with my finger. It will display. But that's a PIA.
Both that have gone bad do exactly the same thing.

They do have codes on them. If the are close that's a small clue.
I will tear apart #1 when I get the replacement.
Trust me I very curious about this.

I believe its a vibration issue?? Who knows for sure.
Especially if its just me having these failures ????

DSC01161.JPGDSC01162.JPG

I have a 12v supply I hooked up. Here is a pic to give you all an idea of what its doing.
In this pic its the voltage that's out in the first 2 LEDs....... On the trike its worse.:AGGHH:

DSC01167.JPG

I have a 12v supply I hooked up. Here is a pic to give you all an idea of what its doing.
In this pic its the voltage that's out in the first 2 LEDs....... On the trike its worse.:AGGHH:

View attachment 28478

Not just you Jay. *Not too long after I converted my '06 (June 2011) my LED indicator went out the same way yous have. *MT sent me a new one then but I understand what you are saying about the present way of doing business.. *:xszpv::xszpv:

Just to let you all know I fixed my LED gauge. I figured I had nothing to loose as a new one was on its way anyhow.
I put the module in my vise. Lightly wrapped with a cloth so as not to mar it up.
Then I took out my hot air gun.
500 degrees for a few seconds softened up the epoxy and I gave it a slight bend right in the middle. The same place where finger pressure on the lens brought back the digits.
It worked.
Whatever connection that was loose embedded in the epoxy isn't any more.
So if anyone needs a spare $135 dollar LED/Voltage gauge from Motor Trike.
I have 2 extra ones laying around.
I jumped the gun on this one ordering the new gauge.:AGGHH:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png