Do You Ride On A Freewheeler With a 'Tallboy' Seat?

And have you installed a rider backrest? (not a passenger backrest / sissy bar.)

I know there are only a few who have this seat installed to begin with ~ a H-D 'Tallboy' seat P/N 52000134. If you've successfully installed a H-D Adjustable Rider Backrest in your H-D 'Tallboy' seat, I'd like to hear from you.

I visited my local dealer today, and tried to buy a H-D Adjustable Rider Backrest Mounting Kit P/N 54099-10. So far, so good. But when I told her I had a H-D 'Tallboy' seat, she said it wouldn't fit. According to her (and her parts book) "... you don't have a Freewheeler seat, you have an accessory seat." According to her, the slot is an inch, or two, back behind the OEM seat slot.

Oh brother!

Now, we all know that the MOCO Parts Catalog sometimes gets it wrong ~ something that fits on a Freewheeler (like my passing lights) might fit if you have to drill, or enlarge some holes, or get "creative" with Dremel tool. This MAY be another case like this.

Also, I like the H-D 'Tallboy' seat ~ it's cushy, and I ride on it for hours. But after riding for 2+ hours, my back gets tired and I'd like some support, hence the backrest.

I sold the OEM seat eBay months ago. I'm not ready to start buying third-party seats (yet) ~ it gets expensive, and I tried this "musical seat" game before on my Softail.

And have you installed a rider backrest? (not a passenger backrest / sissy bar.)

I know there are only a few who have this seat installed to begin with ~ a H-D 'Tallboy' seat P/N 52000134. If you've successfully installed a H-D Adjustable Rider Backrest in your H-D 'Tallboy' seat, I'd like to hear from you.

I visited my local dealer today, and tried to buy a H-D Adjustable Rider Backrest Mounting Kit P/N 54099-10. So far, so good. But when I told her I had a H-D 'Tallboy' seat, she said it wouldn't fit. According to her (and her parts book) "... you don't have a Freewheeler seat, you have an accessory seat." According to her, the slot is an inch, or two, back behind the OEM seat slot.

Oh brother!

Now, we all know that the MOCO Parts Catalog sometimes gets it wrong ~ something that fits on a Freewheeler (like my passing lights) might fit if you have to drill, or enlarge some holes, or get "creative" with Dremel tool. This MAY be another case like this.

Also, I like the H-D 'Tallboy' seat ~ it's cushy, and I ride on it for hours. But after riding for 2+ hours, my back gets tired and I'd like some support, hence the backrest.

I sold the OEM seat eBay months ago. I'm not ready to start buying third-party seats (yet) ~ it gets expensive, and I tried this "musical seat" game before on my Softail.

I would think the adjustable rider backrest would fit.

The mount has like four different holes to mount on. Look at the HD website and see if the seat and back rest fit together o a road king ... if so ... I'll bet they fit your trike. I use the same logic on my tri ... except I use the Ultra as a test.

I used a wooden paint stirrer, with a grease marker on the bottom edge, to poke it down the slot of my seat. When I removed the seat, the mark from the grease marker had hit a solid frame member, so there's lots of metal to work with.

I've decided to mount a non-adjustable backrest (P/N 52589-09A & 52914-09A) instead of the (more expensive) adjustable model. The parts catalog *specifically* says it's not for trikes, so I'm spending less money on the hope that I can make it fit.

IF I manage to get it installed, I doubt I'll be making a lot of adjustments on-the-fly. And yes, I'll take pictures :D

The Rider Backrest Mounting Kit (Picture 1) included instruction sheet# -J04733. It prompts you to remove the seat (DUH) and the ECM caddy/battery cover.

H-D Bkrst 01.sml.jpg

I used a wooden paint stirrer, with a grease marker on the bottom edge (Picture 2)

H-D Bkrst 02.sml.jpg

When I removed the seat, the mark from the grease marker had hit a solid frame member (Picture 3)

H-D Bkrst 03.sml.jpg

The non-adjustable mounting plate fit perfectly, and came up under the 'Tallboy' seat slot in the correct location. Two 1/4-20 x 3/4" bolts (included in the kit) went into already-threaded holes in the frame. I used medium-strength (blue) Loctite, and torqued them to 8 ft-lbs, per the instructions (Picture 4)

H-D Bkrst 04.sml.jpg

The small black angle-steel piece mounted under the two existing bolts that hold the BAS (Bank Angle Sensor) The angle-steel piece is 3/8" thick, so I installed longer 1/4-20 x 3/4" grade-5 bolts (not included in this kit). The 2015 trike service manual warns that these bolts most maintain the original bolt lengths (page 7-18) or it may "...send an errant "vehicle has been tipped" signal to the ECM" I torqued them to 80 in-lbs, per the trike manual (Picture 5)

H-D Bkrst 05.sml.jpg

The black steel support strap was too short. A 1/4-20 x 3/4" bolt was included in the kit, for the bottom hole. To bridge the black steel strap and the backrest mounting bracket at the top, I used a scrap stainless steel tang, and two 5/16-18 x 3/4" grade-5 bolts (1 included, one not.) I also had to grind some material away (Picture 6) from the mounting plate so one of the bolts would clear. I torqued them all to 15 ft-lbs, per the instructions.

H-D Bkrst 06.sml.jpg

So, in the end, a small piece of steel (like Home Depot?) to extend the strap and a few more grade-5 bolts will allowed you to installed a Rider Backrest Mounting Kit P/N 52589-09A on a 'Tallboy' seat. (Picture 7)

H-D Bkrst 07.sml.jpg

The backrest is nice on longer rides. And with over 150 miles since this installation, I haven't incurred a "vehicle has been tipped" signal :D

I used the same mount and backrest mounted bracket using the back two holes in mount did not need extra piece of metal on bar. I have factory seat ,have not changed seat put backrest in middle holes and it works great.

Opini0nated--a request

Could you please post pics of the backrest inserted in the bracket (one without the seat and with the seat). I'd like to see the angle.

I have a rigid backrest and would like to see if the angle improves with the adjustable back. (Part number for the adjustable backrest also if you don't mind).

Thanks and particularly for the pics showing the process.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png