Votes: 14 25.0%
  • A torrential downpour might make me suit up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whats a rain suit Vern?

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters
Oct 20, 2014
Lancaster
This past Saturday we took a ride into the Appalachian Mountains to Boone, NC. Weatherman assured us there was no chance of rain. After a leisurely lunch and shopping for the ladies, we observed some clouds moving in. Oh well, we were going to ride down to Wilkesboro to spend the night (half the cost of Boone 27 miles away). We went down US 421 and passed the overpass for the Blue Ridge Parkway and felt our first rain drop. WE could see blue sky in our direction of travel so we pushed on. Around the next curve, the rain increased. I thought OK, I will just pull off at the next gas station or church or something with an overhang we could get under to put our rain gear on. Who knew there were none for the next 27 miles ? Nothing, NADA, ZIP . Not even a business with an awning or doorway big enough for 4 people. And then the rain really hit. Ducks were looking for cover, I swear we passed the arc at least twice. It rained so hard I could barely see 5 feet ahead of me. And of course, if you are already soaking wet, why put on rain gear ? Just grin and bear it. We rode 27 rain drenched miles. We got to the hotel and while checking in left a two inch deep puddle of water. My wife said " that more expensive hotel looks pretty good now doesn't it? "

SO....my travails aside, when do you put on rain gear

It depends. If it looks like I might run into rain I'll suit up. But once riding I usually end up trying to ride through it if I run into rain. Another bull headed rider. The one wreck I've had and still paying for was because I forgot my rain gear and tried to go faster to break clear of it. Bad idea. All I remember past not being able to see the handlebars is pain.:D Didn't teach me a thing. Just a few weeks ago I tried riding out of another I rode into. I won that time.:pepper:

Gloria has the uncanny ability to predict when it will rain or not, and hasn't been too far wrong in the 22 years we have been riding together (and married). I have not pulled over when she said she thinks it will rain - she says she can smell it - and it has at least sprinkled. Sometime not enough to need the rain gear, but there has been rain nevertheless. At times I have seen the rain, stopped to gear up, Gloria has said she doesn't think we'll be in the wer and all that happened is we got heated up because of the suites.
So in the poll, there isn't the choice "When My Wife Says To".

I'm one of those people that if it really looks like it is going to rain and then it starts a little I'll pull over and put the suit on. It doesn't bother me to ride in the rain as long as you can see what up the road.

Personally, I'd rather be comfortable than miserable. Have never found it a problem to put on the suit when riding into dark clouds and taking it off when the sky is clear again.

It has to be raining pretty hard for me to put on my rainsuit. But right now, I've got an old set of frog togs that are getting ready to be retired. I am awaiting delivery of a Nelson-Rigg AS 3000 rainsuit in the next couple of days. My frog togs drive me crazy trying to pull the pants on over my shoes.

Weatherman assured us there was no chance of rain.
I don't think I've ever been in a harder rain than when the weatherman made the same forcast.
If I saw blue sky like you did, I would have been wet too. I rarely pull over to put the gear on unless I know it's going to last a good while. I've been known to intentionaly ride toward a shower just to cool off. Here in the south you'll be dry about 15 minuts after you get out of the shower, so why bother with rain gear?

Right on consitter, how those Frog Toggs are a PIA trying to suit up.

Hmmm .. My Frog Toggs have elastic on the bottoms and they open wide enough to get over my boots. But mine are the old "tyvek" style. They are well used, but very solid. The only issue I have with them is the pants got harder to store after I put the Hog Togg heat shield on them.

I don't think I've ever been in a harder rain than when the weatherman made the same forcast.
If I saw blue sky like you did, I would have been wet too. I rarely pull over to put the gear on unless I know it's going to last a good while. I've been known to intentionaly ride toward a shower just to cool off. Here in the south you'll be dry about 15 minuts after you get out of the shower, so why bother with rain gear?

Being just north of you near Charlotte, I understand about the heat. When the temperature and humidity meet in the mid 90's, it's hot !

Steve

I rarely get my rain gear out because I hate to get it wet.........and as soon as you put it on the rain will stop anyway then you'll have to stop to take it off because it's too hot.

Rainsuit? Oh yeah, that orange Frogg Togg thingy that's in my bags that I have had packed for over 20 years. It's faded orange now and I think I have used it 3 times (yes I do ride about 10K miles a year or more). I refuse to "start" a ride in the rain, but will "end" a ride or day in the rain. But since it's the end of the ride/day, hey, just keep riding and take off the wet clothes at home or in the motel room. It sure made my Frogg Toggs last a long time..........I had them out about 2 months ago when we were in a Monsoon season here in Texas, and they still worked.....imagine that!

rain gear

the rain gear I have now is hot ( grate for cold weather ) yes I need to get a cooler set for hot weather. it depends on when we suit up if it looks bad we will suit up early, if it don't look bad we wait. of course we usually wait to long & get a little wet.

Rainsuit? . I refuse to "start" a ride in the rain, but will "end" a ride or day in the rain. But since it's the end of the ride/day, hey, just keep riding and take off the wet clothes at home or in the motel room. !

Agree 100%. I want to arrive dry wherever I'm going, but going home I don't care how wet I am.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png