Easy install seat mod

Sep 9, 2012
Cedar City, Utah, USA
Has anyone, besides me, had a hard time installing your seat on your wing? Well I have ALWAYS had difficulty installing the seat on my 06.

Well after a great deal of time, I would way hours but that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but none the less, it took way too much time to install the seat.:mad:

So after attempting to install the tapered bolts I removed the seat cleaned up the threads and started over again.:(

I think the problem was and has always been that the plastic piece on the bottom of the seat pan, that is supposed to go under the metal piece that crosses from left to right over the fuel tank and under the seat wasn't going together properly.

First as I looked at the cross bar I noticed that the bar was somewhat bent down so I pulled it up to make it easier to slip the plastic piece of the seat pan under the cross bar. Then I tried to install the seat but it refused to go forward far enough for the seat bolts to go in.:mad:

So in a conversation with my neighbor he suggested just cutting the plastic piece, in question, off. Sounded reasonable so I did about 30 seconds of investigation and found that the plastic piece wasn’t going under the metal cross piece, there were indications that the seat was resting on the bottom of the plastic piece. So out came the little saw and off came the plastic piece from the bottom of the seat pan. Five minutes the seat was installed.:D

And no I don’t worry about the seat coming off, there are 4 good size bolts holding on a plastic seat.

P.S. Sorry this is so long but I couldn’t figure out any way to explain it.
Sorry there are no pics. If you want to see what I’m talking about I would suggest you take your seat off and see and look.

Also when putting the rubber bushings in that the bolts go through they have an orientation. When displaced most people just push them in not realizing they mount a certain way. If theyre not put in correctly it makes it harder to orient the seat holes when mounting the seat to the frame.

It really is a pain in the rear end to install the seat.
I too cut the tabs off and it did help. Along with the tapered bolts it's not to bad now.
One more thing I do is to start two bolts on one side without the hand hold on and then install the other side with the hand hold on. I then install the hand hold I left off.
Seems to help.

WHY go through all this??
Just remove the passenger backrest. 2 screws in the top trunk plainly visible.
Then you can angle the seat perfectly and all of the tabs slid exactly where they are supposed to go.

Also when putting the rubber bushings in that the bolts go through they have an orientation. When displaced most people just push them in not realizing they mount a certain way. If theyre not put in correctly it makes it harder to orient the seat holes when mounting the seat to the frame.
A couple of years ago I glued the rubber bushings in place, in the correct position, to prevent the problem from continuing.

- - - Updated - - -

WHY go through all this??
Just remove the passenger backrest. 2 screws in the top trunk plainly visible.
Then you can angle the seat perfectly and all of the tabs slid exactly where they are supposed to go.
I always remove the passenger back rest when taking the seat off, it still wouldn't slide into place like it was supposed to.
I finally decided to cut the mounting tab off when I knew I could not see it or know if it was ever installed correctly. Now it is either always installed correctly or incorrectly depending on your point of view. At least it installs.

- - - Updated - - -

It really is a pain in the rear end to install the seat.
I too cut the tabs off and it did help. Along with the tapered bolts it's not to bad now.
One more thing I do is to start two bolts on one side without the hand hold on and then install the other side with the hand hold on. I then install the hand hold I left off.
Seems to help.
Adding to my difficulty is the fact that my passenger arm rests bolt beneath the passenger hand holds.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png