Steering Head Bearing Adjustment Hannigan

Mar 28, 2009
Near-Iowa City,Iowa
Any of you try and adjust the Steering Head Bearing nuts through them tiny little holes ? what's the trick ? got the top cap loose and tried to put the screw driver in the hole and I cant seem to turn the nuts in there, any tool or tip I need to know about ? Be good if they made that hole larger, mine is 6 years old so maybe they do now .
Thanks for any help.
Jeff

Jeff pretty sure Hannigan made larger slots in the newer triple trees to get to those adjusters. I think there was a difference between my 09 and the 05 anyhow. I just used a long tapered punch when doing mine on the 05. I made a tool that fitted the nuts but to use it the top tree had to come off. A lot of work.

Larry

Oh wait the 05 had a different companies triple tree on it . Also remember that there's a metal locking tab between the top and bottom adjusting nuts. Just go slow when using the punch method. If taking the top apart to adjust the nuts and bearing use 25lbs torque to seat the bearings. Factory specs are way to loose for a trike set up

Head Bearing Adjusted

Well, I was able to get in there with a punch and I was able to turn it about 3/4
of a inch, got it all back together and it's still doing the same thing. shake at 70 mph.
So I am now thinking its not the head bearing, and maybe a balance problem. :p
I did have to drill the hole larger to be able to do this adjustment.

There is nothing under there to see or get to, you guys must have a diff tree on yours.

Take a pic for me one day please. ThumbUp

You are right Jeff, I was thinking of the stock top tree. I was able to get a punch in the ez steer tree hole and tap the locking ring. So far pics have not come out to well, I'll try again tomorrow.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png