Reverse Or No Reverse?

Jul 26, 2015
Plant City, Fl, USA
I'm debating on whether to spend the $$ on the reserve for my kit or not.
I would like to hear some thoughts on this. I'm thinking here in Florida being flat, I may not need this option. The kit only adds a couple hundred pounds to the bike according to the specs, but I wonder if they took in consideration that your removing probably 100 pounds when you remove the rear wheel and saddle bags, etc... Thanks!

Let gravity be your friend

I tell most of my customers that a reverse gear is kinda a waste of money unless you are handicapped and unable to manage moving the trike at all. Most of the time the decision for a reverse rests with the better half or pier pressure. If you park like it was a 2-wheeler, you would never need a reverse.

You spend 99% of the time going forward, why would you spend the $1500.-$2000. on that 1% unless it was totally necessary.

$2000.00 of gas will get you a long way.

If its an electric reverse you are thinking , For get about it. They are problem prone. Now a mechanical reverse i would do it .. I had both in my present Trike 11T/G... And with the mechanical i park anywhere with out a thought of pitch' hill 'angle just pull in where i want and back out when i want... ThumbUpThumbUp

I tell most of my customers that a reverse gear is kinda a waste of money unless you are handicapped and unable to manage moving the trike at all. Most of the time the decision for a reverse rests with the better half or pier pressure. If you park like it was a 2-wheeler, you would never need a reverse.

You spend 99% of the time going forward, why would you spend the $1500.-$2000. on that 1% unless it was totally necessary.

$2000.00 of gas will get you a long way.

Agreed!!

I had a mechanical reverse installed on my original transmission for my current trike. I had an issue trying to remove it to install in my new current transmission. Been over 2yrs and really havent missed it. Im a/k left leg amputee, I always make sure Im parked to ride the trike outbound.

Reverse? where we go we don't need no stinkin' reverse!! save your money. Watch where you park. Look at the lay of the land. I can back mine up very easy.

Attachments

• VTX done 008.JPG
    VTX done 008.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 130
  • VTX done 007.JPG
    VTX done 007.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 117
I have reverse on mine but I don't use it much now that the new has worn off. I can push my trike back with the fairing before I get on. I would not waste the money on a reverse if I had to do it again. If you do get a reverse get a machnical one and forget about one from Motor Trike.

My friends tri-glide is hard to push backward. My old tour glide with the champion kit is vey easy.
Have never need a reverse or park brake.
If I have a problem parking on an incline a small bungee on the front brake is fine.

Hate to go "against the grain" here but I'm glad to have the Champion mech reverse on our trike. Better to have it and not need it,than need it and not have it.

Had reverse on the 2010 Triglide I had, and on the 2012 Hannigan wing. I don't use it much at all, I selectively park. I think I've used the reverse on the wing maybe 3 times in 3 years.

The mechanical reverse will be one of the most enjoyable accessories you will ever put on your trike. No more circling to fine level parking. Pulls you out of anywhere. Would not take anything for mine.

I've got a bad foot. I can back up the TG on level ground by foot, but it hurts, so I use the reverse.

Sometimes I'll go days without needing to back up, other days I use reverse 4 or 5 times in one day.

Like said above, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

While the TG's come with electric reverse, mechanical is better, IMO.

Kevin

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feed back. I'm still on the fence though. I really dont want to touch my transmission to install a mechanical reverse. I just had a Baker DD7 installed and really hesitant messing with it. I'll probably go without the reverse. Hope this choice does'nt bite me in the butt later.

Thanks for all the feed back. I'm still on the fence though. I really dont want to touch my transmission to install a mechanical reverse. I just had a Baker DD7 installed and really hesitant messing with it. I'll probably go without the reverse. Hope this choice does'nt bite me in the butt later.

The Transformer conversion didn't seem to add much extra weight,IMO,so you will probably be ok without a reverse,,unless you're really short-legged.

That Baker DD7 trans will be great with a trike conversion.

If you have the baker tranny contact them before you do the reverse.

Reverse

I love reverse and would never be without it again. There are times that you have to park in situations where reverse is lifesaver. Really handy when parking in gravel, dirt, etc...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
51fatfendertruck

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
51fatfendertruck
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png