Why is my air filter cover HOT

Jan 15, 2015
Buffalo, Ky, USA
I have a 2010 Ultra Classic with a pure stock 96 cid. This thing is just like it came from the factory except the trike kit. The pipes, mufflers, air cleaner and all are factory. I am running Syn 3 oil. My air breather gets so hot I can not touch it. I thought about fans but they would blow even more heat that way. I know an engine will run better with cool air. Any suggestions?

Hmm...I had an '09 Night Train before I became a TG enthusiast. Funny thing was, with it, it was never hot. I could lay my hand on it after riding for an hour.

With the TG, the breather cover got hot quick. Nearly burned my skin to the touch. When I had a stage I kit installed (FulSac), it became much cooler. Not as cool as the Night Train mind you, but still a lot cooler. I can touch it with my bare leg (yes I wear shorts when riding) and not get burned now.

If you ever sat on a hot stove just once' You'll be careful not to do that again..
Air cooled engine's tend to get thing's hot, Especially with a trike.. Something to do with air flow.
Or lack of..

I have a 2010 Ultra Classic with a pure stock 96 cid. This thing is just like it came from the factory except the trike kit. The pipes, mufflers, air cleaner and all are factory. I am running Syn 3 oil. My air breather gets so hot I can not touch it. I thought about fans but they would blow even more heat that way. I know an engine will run better with cool air. Any suggestions?

You are correct about engines running better with cool air. They run significantly better, which is why performance oriented vehicles have cold air intakes.

Harley's are really challenged in this area, and power suffers a great amount because of it.

There are many things you can do, but most of them will involve moving away from a pure stock engine.

There are a couple of add-on's that will help cool it down some, while leaving the engine pure stock (if that is important to you).

* A better primary oil cooler, or a second oil cooler.

* Even though the fans will blow some of the air in the direction of the air cleaner box, in the end, it will lower the temp of the air cleaner box some.

Below are a couple of links where you can see what I have done to my trikes to get the over all temps down.

I can rest my bare leg against the air cleaner on my Trike and it does not burn, the cover does not get very got.

StainlessDB1_zps3a69f830.jpg

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/thre...sive-heat-on-my-2011-Tri-Glide?highlight=heat

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/thre...thoughts-on-the-differences?highlight=ongoing

Kevin

After doing the discrete crankcase breather my air cleaner never gets much more than warm .. I can and do rest my nekid leg against it.

Yeah, but you're not running the air box or cover either. Methinks that if you were running the stock enclosed A/C box, the crankcase breather would cool it done some, but it would still be pretty warm.

Kevin

After doing the discrete crankcase breather my air cleaner never gets much more than warm .. I can and do rest my nekid leg against it.

I had the same results when I installed the discrete breather on My TriGlide '15 with a Fuel Moto Pro billit stage 1 air cleaner with stock Rushmore cover.I also installed a DK 1-1/2" tank lift at the same time. That may have helped some too.

Wayne

What you are seeing is the effect of excessive heat and lack of airflow. The air cleaner and cover are essentially becoming a heat sink. Fortunately as several have already noted there are some very straight forward ways to resolve this. If you are happy with your current level of performance you may want to start by replacing the air cleaner with a good Stage 1 unit and adding an EFI tuner, this will make a notable difference in most applications. If you are looking for significant reductions I would recommend also replacing the catalyst head pipe, not only will this reduce the effect of parasitic heat it also makes a considerable difference in performance. A good muffler can help as well as the stock chambered style mufflers retain heat considerably

Jamie Long

I agree with fuel moto! If you still have the catalyst in your exhaust, GET RID OF IT!! We had some major heat coming from our 2010 TG, I replaced the whole exhaust with Vance & Hines Power duals and put the V&H Tri-Glide mufflers, different breather, re-mapped the computer and nearly all the heat issues were gone!:clapping:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png