DK Lift Kit

Looking for help regarding the Lift Kit. I understand the 1 1/4" adding to clearance. What I don't get is how it improves ride and handling. The rear shock travel is the same. Rising the rear of the bike will decrease the rake of the forks. As the prevailing opinions are that the extended rake on a trike makes the steering easier, how can decreasing it make it better....or am I just dumber than a stump? Always a possibility...

Thanks

The rear shock travel is the same. Rising the rear of the bike will decrease the rake of the forks

Thanks

Not quite true.This is true for the standard lift kit. However, The new shock mounting plate, on the comfort lift, puts the shock in a slightly different angle which allows slightly different travel. Does make the rear ride better.

Also, on both kits, by raising the rear you add slightly more weight forward, which helps with steering ... easier, not sure about that, but it does "feel" better.

Its been explained 8 ways till Sunday.... It's still a mystery.. I put one [Standard kit] on my 11T/G back in 2011..
It originally was sold just to rase the back end to stop scraping pipes, And to lose the sagging look.
Thats why i put it on... no other reason' The first ride shocked me as to how it improved the handling and lighten the steering effort.. It just does..ThumbUp

All else being equal,if you reduce the trail,it will quicken up the steering. Raising the rear end does this.

It works.

Looking for help regarding the Lift Kit. I understand the 1 1/4" adding to clearance. What I don't get is how it improves ride and handling. The rear shock travel is the same. Rising the rear of the bike will decrease the rake of the forks. As the prevailing opinions are that the extended rake on a trike makes the steering easier, how can decreasing it make it better....or am I just dumber than a stump? Always a possibility...

Thanks

The first ride shocked me and the wife, as to how it improved the handling and her tush. It just does. Son in law who builds choppers drive it and said it is like it is on rails. Just do it.

Thanks

You can see the details on the Standard Lift & the Comfort Lift at this LINK.

Regarding a smoother, more comfortable ride.

With the Standard lift the suspension works almost the same. But when some install it, they let a little air out of the rear shocks (that they had pumped up to not drag so much). This reduction in PSI in the shocks can give a smoother ride...but it would with or without the Standard Lift Kit.

Another, very small factor in the Standard lift kit is that it shifts some weight to the front, making for a little better balance in the suspension (between front and rear), this also can contribute to a smoother ride.

With the Comfort Lift, as Fuzzy noted, the shocks are slightly further back on the swing arm, enabling the shocks to absorb more of the road imperfections. This provides a noticeable improvement in ride quality.

Regarding handling- With both kits the rear is higher, slightly changing the weight on the front tire, and the rake. This means less input (force) is need to the handlebars to execute a turn. It is not so much that the steering dampener is over-powered and there is any wobble, but it is enough to make the steering a little easier. Another improvement in the handling department is that with more weight on the front tire, more braking power is able to be used in front without the tire losing traction, And, with more weight on the front tire it will also hold traction better in the turns and curves.

Kevin

No need to adjust the rear belt, but you will have to check your headlight aim

I actually left my headlight alone. The spots I got from DK light up the world pretty well (exact name in my .sig), and with the low beam a bit lower, the high beam now lights up the road instead of the tree branches. Kinda like it... although yeah, I'll probably have to adjust if/when I upgrade the headlight.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png