Smelling oil fumes on downshift

WindyOne

500+ Posts
Dec 3, 2009
Va.
Would it be normal after installing the discrete breather system to smell a little oil fume on downshifts?
I am trying to locate the source of this odor. I have only done 2 changes to the trike, the catless header and the discrete breather system.
It is only a quick whiff I am getting but it is recent that I smell it at all. I am hoping this is a normal thing and all is well with the trike.

Yes you might very well be smelling the fumes that would of been sucked into the intake.

Thanks for reassuring me. This is what I was thinking and the point of installing the breather system. It dawned on me today that this is what probably was going on.

I never smell them, but I don't have that good of a sniffer. lol

Where do you have the hose ending with the filter on the end? Maybe re-positioning it will get the fumes out of your smelling zone.

Kevin

I never smell them, but I don't have that good of a sniffer. lol

Where do you have the hose ending with the filter on the end? Maybe re-positioning it will get the fumes out of your smelling zone.

Kevin

The filter end is under the transmission in line with sitting position. This weekend I will look into changing it's placement. The odor isn't offensive, just something I noticed and became concerned it was a problem and not a result of something I had done.

I've always had a theory about smells in/on vehicles ... the theory goes that if I can smell them ... probably not from my vehicle ... ya know ... kinda like burying your head in the sand ... LOL ... :D

When i use engine breaking [holding a lower gear] on steep down grades at low speeds under 30MPH, I always get it.. I attribute it to blow-by.. And not just with my T/G 'Had that with a few bikes over the years. To me its normal...:Shrug: ...

An Update to this post:

I didn't want anyone to think that I suspected the breather system to be the culprit in the oil smell. I asked because I did 2 changes to the trike, the breather system and the new cat less pipe. I wasn't sure if one or the other was installed correctly by me.
I removed any modifications I had made except the cat less pipe to make the trike ready for trade in. On the way to the dealer for the trade I would still notice the smell when I downshifted or let off on the throttle. Why I didn't notice this before is beyond me. So it was still there as a stock (almost) trike.

What I did notice when I removed the breather system was some oil on the rim of the filter that faces and mounts to the breather mount. Also I could feel some oil on the breather exhaust filter. All this proved to me is that the system was working and better than I had thought it would.
I cleaned it all up and will be putting it on the new trike after the 1K oil change.

An Update to this post:

I didn't want anyone to think that I suspected the breather system to be the culprit in the oil smell. I asked because I did 2 changes to the trike, the breather system and the new cat less pipe. I wasn't sure if one or the other was installed correctly by me.
I removed any modifications I had made except the cat less pipe to make the trike ready for trade in. On the way to the dealer for the trade I would still notice the smell when I downshifted or let off on the throttle. Why I didn't notice this before is beyond me. So it was still there as a stock (almost) trike.

What I did notice when I removed the breather system was some oil on the rim of the filter that faces and mounts to the breather mount. Also I could feel some oil on the breather exhaust filter. All this proved to me is that the system was working and better than I had thought it would.
I cleaned it all up and will be putting it on the new trike after the 1K oil change.

Congrats on the new Trike! ThumbUp

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png