2014 TriGlide Ultra

Aug 13, 2015
Oklahoma City
Looking for info on best set-up for ride on my TG. Have DK lift kit, Legend Air, stock forks, just got back 2000 mile run worst ride (porpoise on level hgwy) shake your teeth out on rough roads. Tried all air settings no difference ( 10-50 lbs) rides worse than stock. Been in the saddle over 50 years, this has kinda got me. Talked to Legend twice, helpful but didn't solve my issue. New territory, first Trike all others 2-wheel, so need your input.

Looking for info on best set-up for ride on my TG. Have DK lift kit, Legend Air, stock forks,
just got back 2000 mile run worst ride (porpoise on level hgwy) shake your teeth out on rough roads. Tried all air settings no difference ( 10-50 lbs) rides worse than stock.
Been in the saddle over 50 years, this has kinda got me. Talked to Legend twice, helpful
but didn't solve my issue. New territory, first Trike all others 2-wheel, so need your input.

Did you try playing with rear tire pressure? The "car" type tires on the rear can have the pressure lowered to at least 20#. I've heard of people going lower, but I have not. I find these are the best settings for me, 22# rear tire, 32# in rear shock combined with the comfort lift from DK, best ride for me. I don't do 2 up anymore, so can't speak to that.

Willie,was this after the installation of the Legend air ride?

After. LTR-108 used their products for years

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try playing with rear tire pressure? The "car" type tires on the rear can have the pressure lowered to at least 20#. I've heard of people going lower, but I have not. I find these are the best settings for me, 22# rear tire, 32# in rear shock combined with the comfort lift from DK, best ride for me. I don't do 2 up anymore, so can't speak to that.

Thx. Legend is a little against lowering air
on tires, but I would certainly give it a try!

After. LTR-108 used their products for years - - - Updated - - - Thx. Legend is a little against lowering air on tires, but I would certainly give it a try!

I see ledgend offers a lift kit also http://www.legendsuspensions.com/products/view/tri-glide-rear-lift-kit#, by the picture it looks like possibly a standard lift. Did you talk to them about the type of lift their product works best with? Obviously they'll favor their product, make them provide a good reason why. They're supposed to be suspension experts so they should be able to answer your questions.

From my experiences with Legend air ride,their air pressure "sweet spot" is very narrow. If it is 5lbs on either side of the optimum,ride quality will suck.

Lower the air pressure in the rear tires to 25lbs,as a starting point,and let us know what you think.

Thx. I'll do some research and let you know.
Talking to Legend yesterday Rylan said the
newer units have damping settings on them
and if mine does set about 3 instead of 1
will have to check mine to see if it has setting.
Thx to all for input. For the record, setting for
solo 170lb rider. No trailer towing.

Looking for info on best set-up for ride on my TG. Have DK lift kit, Legend Air, stock forks,
just got back 2000 mile run worst ride (porpoise on level hgwy) shake your teeth out on rough roads. Tried all air settings no difference ( 10-50 lbs) rides worse than stock.
Been in the saddle over 50 years, this has kinda got me. Talked to Legend twice, helpful
but didn't solve my issue. New territory, first Trike all others 2-wheel, so need your input.

UPDATE: OK sports fans, had air leak issue on last trip, got back my mechanic resolved problem. Meantime put DK comfort rides on.

Talked to Legend, they said run 50-70# pressure on ride depending on solo or pass. weight, etc. Rides better, but could be improved. Legend DID NOT recommend lowering air in rear tires. I need all you riders running after-market rear air (preferably LEGEND) give me your particular set-up numbers that work best for each of your applications . I know each is different, but I respect each of you as professionals in setting up your rides, and I need to pick your brains for direction. I am feeling at this point if I can't get the Trike to ride better, I might as well put stock shocks back on. HELP!!
(2014 TRI GLIDE ULTRA)

FOOTNOTE: tire press 22#

Last edited:
So you are saying on flat roads it a hard ride?? Or over bumpy surfaces?

You may never get all the bone jarring out of that trike..But air pressures settings do help..

Others have used progressive shocks and swear they are better than legend..Legend did help as I had the first version shocks but sounds like you have the newest version..Keep adjusting until you find the happy point but it will never be perfect..

UPDATE: OK sports fans, had air leak issue
on last trip, got back my mechanic resolved problem. Meantime put DK comfort rides on.
Talked to Legend, they said run 50-70# pressure on ride depending on solo or pass.
weight, etc. Rides better, but could be improved. Legend DID NOT recommend lowering air in rear tires. I need all you riders running after-market rear air (preferably LEGEND) give me your particular set-up numbers that work best for each of your applications . I know each is different, but I
respect each of you as professionals in setting
up your rides, and I need to pick your brains
for direction. I am feeling at this point if I can't get the Trike to ride better, I might as well put stock shocks back on. HELP!!
(2014 TRI GLIDE ULTRA)

Your only going to get a so so ride with a straight axle trike, its the nature of the beast, they do ride kind of hard. I know the difference between the 2010 Triglide I had with a lift kit on, and my present 2012 IRS Hannigan wing is night and day. It rides like a Cadillac on both smooth and rough roads, 1st thing the wife said when I took her for a ride, was " I can't believe how smooth this thing rides".

I would think lower shock pressure would smooth the ride out some, one thing a lift kit does is allow you to run a lower shock pressure which means a smoother ride.

I don't care what Legend says, don't be afraid to experiment with your rear tire's air pressure. That may be the only way you achieve the ride you are looking for. Lower pressure will not only improve the ride quality, but it might just do away with your handling issues.

UPDATE: OK sports fans, had air leak issue on last trip, got back my mechanic resolved problem. Meantime put DK comfort rides on.

Talked to Legend, they said run 50-70# pressure on ride depending on solo or pass. weight, etc. Rides better, but could be improved. Legend DID NOT recommend lowering air in rear tires. I need all you riders running after-market rear air (preferably LEGEND) give me your particular set-up numbers that work best for each of your applications . I know each is different, but I respect each of you as professionals in setting up your rides, and I need to pick your brains for direction. I am feeling at this point if I can't get the Trike to ride better, I might as well put stock shocks back on. HELP!!
(2014 TRI GLIDE ULTRA)

Starting base from Legend: They said start with airing up shocks to 150# and let compressor run an additional 15 seconds.

Then get on and have someone hold a tape at back of TriGlide and let air out until Trike lowers approx 1 inch. Then remember what the pressure was and use this as starting point for adjustments to ride. They know there
will be many factors: 1 up, 2 up, size, weight,
hauling load, etc. so each will be unique to
the rider. Just some additional info. Thanks for all replies, you "Triple Threats" rock!

Final numbers on 14 TriGlide ride:

Legend air shocks. 84. #
Rear tires. 22#
Solo rider (170) best ride for my application.
Yes, 5# either way on shocks DOES make difference.
Thanks to one and all for the feedback!
Uncle Willie

ps: if you're having issues with ride, stick with
it. It sometimes takes a lot of trying and patience, but eventually it pays off.

Final numbers on 14 TriGlide ride:

Legend air shocks. 84. #
Rear tires. 22#
Solo rider (170) best ride for my application.
Yes, 5# either way on shocks DOES make difference.
Thanks to one and all for the feedback!
Uncle Willie

ps: if you're having issues with ride, stick with
it. It sometimes takes a lot of trying and patience, but eventually it pays off.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kizmet

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kizmet
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png