Are '13 TG's a good year or should I get later year?

Aug 18, 2015
Sykesville
I am looking to trade my "new" 2013 Road King Anniversary bike for a TriGlide. My bike has only 103 miles on it due to my being unable to hold up the bike after injuring myself at work. Bad part is that I was injured right before having the bike delivered from the factory.

After accepting the fact that two wheels would most likely kill myself and my wife, we decided on getting a trike. Don't want to do a conversion since the bike is an anniversary model and it seems wrong to monkey with it.

Got a good offer from a dealer for trading in our Road King for an Anniversary Tri-Glide. Is the 2013 TG a "good" model year or should we look at something newer?

This is my first post. You all have a fantastic forum going on here!! Thanks....Rick

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think I'd go with '14 and up, if you can find one, just because of the re-designs from the 13's is pretty drastic.. again, that's just me but maybe the 13's are better? I really don't know.

I have heard nothing negative

Triglide's are what they are machines damn good ones from my point of view. 14 and 15 have water cooled heads not sure it really makes a difference but it new design. Check service reciepts if possible front tire condition look for oil leaks check oil all three holes etc. See what changes have been made if any, you know the drill. enjoy the ride my bride and I love our 09 ride safely fearless:Shrug:

Trike

:gah::pepper:Wife/I both have 2010 HD trikes. I know they have made some great improvements over the years BUT we love ours and have just had a few issues (all corrected by HD, some on warr. some not).
I would not hesitate to go that route if you can swing a good deal........but.......ha, newer the better.

What was upgraded from '13 and up?

This is great info. Thanks!!

Now that I know the year split between designs, '13 to '14, what did HD redesign? It looks like the entire dash was redone with better radio, etc.

Does the '14 have GPS, comms, radio, etc?

I'd like to find someone near Sykesville, Maryland that could give us a ride to see how a late model TG rides.

Thanks...Rick

There was something like 132 changes on the '14

If you have a Garmin GPS, keep it since a lot of riders are having issues with the H-D GPS unit. Just a heads up.

Check with a dealer - they usually have demos. Or you can rent one for a day.

They are all good or they are all bad :Shrug: just like cars, it's a matter of your choice and what your needs are. All models have made some sort of changes, thats what sells them.

I love my 13 TG and have no need to trade it off. I have it setup with what I like and need. Good luck in your quest ThumbUp

I'm glad mine is a 2014. The upgrades are great. We use the GPS all the time and have no issues. All my favorite music is on a USB memory stick plugged into the fairing port. Twin cooled 103 is a beast. I've added chrome, de-catted the stock head pipe, added Nightrider FL-ViED-10 fuel enrichers, shock lift kit, tour pak level kit .... and could not be happier. We have over 13K miles in 14 months .... and live in S.E. PA. I am not a cold weather rider!

Bob :Dorag:

2015-4-29 ride.jpg

Rick,

The 14/15 is re-designed along with the rest of the touring bikes to the Rushmore theme HD introduced with the 14 model year. The major thing was the liquid cooling of the exhaust valves on some of the models (This included the TRI-Glide). Because of this cooling change they were able to change some tuning to get a little more out of the engine then previously. The exhaust header still has the cat and the engine still responses nicely to an after market tuner for more power. The other big change was the sound system as all ready described above. They also did a little change in the brake system linking the front and rear brakes together when brakes are applied below I believe 25 MPH even if only the lever or the pedal is applied. To a veteran rider this brake change really isn't that significant. Mechanically the rest of the trike is not that much different.

You know about the 13 it is very similar to your Road King as far as the paint and all. I have a 13. I have 26k miles on her and love it. I did a lot of mods to add power and looks. I would not trade her away for a new one there is just not that much difference in my opinion, because I do not listen to the radio when I ride so I would not take advantage of the sound system. If the CB is used by you then know that the CB has to be added to the 14/15 it is an expensive option.

So to sum up: both will need some tuning to get rid of the lean tune from the factory, it just might cost just a little more to get a mild improvement out of the 13 vs the 14/15 and have them at an equal level. If you are looking for an substantial difference they cost would be about the same. Most people would change exhaust on either year. The sound system and newer looks a plus on the 14/15. The anniversary paint is only on the 13 and the CB is standard. The 13 might all ready have had some stuff done to it of course if you purchase a used 14/15 it to might have stuff done to it.

The forks were also changed from 39MM to 41MM between the 13my and 14my. If I didn't have a Triglide and was shopping, I'd probably look for a 14/15my. If I had a good Triglide already, as I do 12my, I wouldn't trade in on a 14/15 just for the upgrades.

The forks were also changed from 39MM to 41MM between the 13my and 14my. If I didn't have a Triglide and was shopping, I'd probably look for a 14/15my. If I had a good Triglide already, as I do 12my, I wouldn't trade in on a 14/15 just for the upgrades.

Actually,the front forks went from 41mm to 49mm in 2014,a significant change.

If the dealer would trade for a good price,that 2013 TG would be an excellent trike. Let your wallet be your guide.

Well going to add my $.02 and personal experience. I had to go to a trike due to Parkinson's and loss of balance in June 2013. Knowing the '14's were going to be coming out pretty soon I contacted a friend of mine that owns a dealership in Wisc. Forgot to add that I owned a 2010 Ultra, loaded.

He told me in my thinking process to consider all the extras/add-ons on my '10 would fit the '13. Nothing on my '10 would fit the '14. I was looking at a black '13 and my '10 was black I bought the '13 and the dealer gave me a day to swap out all my extra including the tour-pac lid which had the deluxe luggage rack. I'd say I saved $2500-$3500 by dealing for the '13 vs '14.

8~\o

He told me in my thinking process to consider all the extras/add-ons on my '10 would fit the '13. Nothing on my '10 would fit the '14.
8~\o

Common misconception ... I took about $6,000 worth of accessaries off my 11 Ultra and put them on the 15 tri. Catalog said wouldn't fit, every thing fit, except the extended brake pedal and the windspliter windshield. Don't believe every thing you read.

I last weekend traded in my 13 for a 15. The 15 has 255 cams in it that gives it more power. I added up the changes I wanted to make to the 13 and thought the 15 had them on it already. As good as the 13 was for me I liked the 15 better. Ride both if you can find them then make a decision on which one suits you. There is nothing wrong with any model year. It is just what you want out of it.

We had a '13, and loved it. Then when the '14s came out, there sere SO many upgrades, we began to think about moving up. We bought a '15 this spring, and love it even more than the '13. The Rushmore improvements are outstanding. Never had any trouble with the Boom navigation.

Go to a dealer and try both, then decide.

Remember when test riding a '13 and a '15, the '13 is probably going to have thousands of miles on it so it's NOT going to be comparable. Unless you can find a very low mileage '13.

When I test rode a '15 at demo days, it made my '14 seem like a vibrating bucket of bolts jalopy. :D

Rode the 2014 TG and LOVED IT!!

The wife and I went to our local HD dealer and rode a pre-owned 2014 TG. It was just fantastic! Getting back on a bike, with both of us, was wonderful. Now I need to find one at a "decent" price. I'm working on selling my '13 Road King 110th and I have even lowered the price. If anyone wants a bike with 103 miles, for only $17,900......let me know.

Thanks...Rick

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png