Which GPS Unit w Audio Out Jack

Aug 17, 2015
paris
Just curious as to which GPS Unit you are using with good success. I am sure the vibration of a motorcycle does a number on them and also one with a audio jack to plug into my 89 Goldwing Trike

Are there any threads on how to wire them in. Im new here and havent found one

I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 2597 LMT....straight out of the box I had my electronics guru in Nashua, NH open the cases...he disconnected the wires going to the GPS speaker and then fabricated a 6" audio cable lead with a female 3.5 stereo connector with that being soldered to the internal wiring previously attached to the speaker. Then he drilled a hole in the GPS case and with the 6" lead sticking out sealed it all with silicone and buttoned the case back up tight. Now I can connect it directly to my GL1800 AUX lead in the left front box and hear all GPS commands over the bike speakers via the AUX connection...works sweet....of course I don't leave home without my waterproofing quart size baggies and it's a much cheaper alternative than going the Zumo route.

Obviously if the GPS has a 3.5 speaker jack this would be unnecessary, but the 2597 doesn't.

Allen Serviss

Just curious as to which GPS Unit you are using with good success. I am sure the vibration of a motorcycle does a number on them and also one with a audio jack to plug into my 89 Goldwing Trike

Are there any threads on how to wire them in. Im new here and havent found one

Howdy Chris. I'm no GL1500 GURU but unless your '89 had been modified I don't believe there is a direct input jack for external audio. I've seen guys use a cassette adapter to inject audio and I know there is a mod that can be done to the radio that will let you input an external audio signal.

All that being said --- I have the Garmin Zumo 660 mount totally hardwired into my 2015 GL1800. I had the same unit installed on my 2006 and transferred it when I bought the new GL1800. For years I ran the Garmin NIVI 750 and had good success with it. Unfortunately the vibration and weather did take it's toll. I have had my 660 nine or ten years now and it has never failed me. I sure hope that doesn't jinx me!!:gah: :gah:

It all comes down to how much you will use it and are willing to spend. I ride quite a bit and really like the Garmin. When I had it on my '06 it was my primary audio source. Now I use a thumb drive plugged directly into the Wing's audio system.

Sort of long winded. Hope that helps you out. :xszpv: :xszpv:

GPS

I use a Garmin NUVI 750. It has a slot for sd card and plays MP3's along with GPS. It has an FM Transmitter so it will play GPS announcements and MP3's over a pre-selected unused FM channel. I have an 8Gb sd card in it and have over 4500 songs loaded on the card along with GPS stuff. Drive along listening to music and when the GPS needs to make an announcement it stops the music and plays the announcement then starts the music right where it left it, right over the radio. My music files are constantly growing. The 750 does not do cell phones and I like that. I think the model 785 does connect to phones with bluetooth. Buy it on Ebay then purchase lifetime map updates from Garmin and you are all set. I did have to replace the battery in the GPS a while back but that was very easy to do. I installed a waterproof lighter plug on the right side of the faring where factory GPS controls are for the GL1800. When it rains I remove the charging cord, run it off battery, and place a zip-lock bag over the 750. It is mounted with Ram Mount, works great. Actually the 750 has a jack that fits the aux plug for the radio but the FM connection is very handy. GPS was about 50 - 60 bucks on Ebay and the lifetime map updates is about 80 bucks from Garmin. Ram Mount on Ebay depends on how elaborate you get with the adjustment arms.

I use a Garmin NUVI 750. It has a slot for sd card and plays MP3's along with GPS. It has an FM Transmitter so it will play GPS announcements and MP3's over a pre-selected unused FM channel. I have an 8Gb sd card in it and have over 4500 songs loaded on the card along with GPS stuff. Drive along listening to music and when the GPS needs to make an announcement it stops the music and plays the announcement then starts the music right where it left it, right over the radio. My music files are constantly growing. The 750 does not do cell phones and I like that. I think the model 785 does connect to phones with bluetooth. Buy it on Ebay then purchase lifetime map updates from Garmin and you are all set. I did have to replace the battery in the GPS a while back but that was very easy to do. I installed a waterproof lighter plug on the right side of the faring where factory GPS controls are for the GL1800. When it rains I remove the charging cord, run it off battery, and place a zip-lock bag over the 750. It is mounted with Ram Mount, works great. Actually the 750 has a jack that fits the aux plug for the radio but the FM connection is very handy. GPS was about 50 - 60 bucks on Ebay and the lifetime map updates is about 80 bucks from Garmin. Ram Mount on Ebay depends on how elaborate you get with the adjustment arms.

I have the 765t. It has the audio out, bluetooth, stores music. Works really well

My business Partner got into town today and we were talking. He used to ride some, He had a Tom Tom Rider 2 he said he would give me, we will see if he shows with it tomorrow as well as some Sena Helmet Bluetooth units, this could be a score hehe

My business Partner got into town today and we were talking. He used to ride some, He had a Tom Tom Rider 2 he said he would give me, we will see if he shows with it tomorrow as well as some Sena Helmet Bluetooth units, this could be a score hehe

That would be quite a score! I have a Rider 2, it works ok but I like Garmin better. The Rider 2 does not have a built in speaker, it requires a bluetooth headset or speaker to get sound out of it. It does not have an audio out jack either. I have a windshield suction cup mount for mine that contains a speaker so it can be used in a car and I have other mounts that connect to the RAM mounts to use on the Trike. The Rider 2 was and is a high dollar unit. I have well over 500 dollars in mine so if you get it for nothing that is a heck of a deal.

When I got my Garmin, I don't recall what model, I did a comparison on Garmin's site looking specifically for a GPS that had an Aux out. I found the one I wanted and bought it. Now my Wing has a built in GPS which is all but useless and I have a GPS mount that I took off my Venture before I sold it.

I have a TTR2 that I have used with great success on the 1996 1500 and now the 2003 1800. Scott over at www.goldwingdocs.com sells a little adapter that you plug into the existing wiring harness.
It has an outlet "pigtail" that you would normally plug into a GPS that has an audio out jack.
But what I did was plug a Bluetooth Receiver into that jack.

When paired with the TTR2, the receiver sends a signal out and fools the GPS and you get normal over-the-headset reception from your trike's radio system. If you go with the cassette adapter your music is cut off until such time as you remove the adapter. It's either music or GPS - not the automatic muted system you really want. With the Bluetooth you get GPS and music in stereo; with the GPS it's mono.

My receiver is a BLUEGATE.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuele

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuele
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png