Front Wheel Fender Clearance

Jul 22, 2015
Fairfield, CA
My wife and I have "his and Hers" Stallions. There is a difference of one inch in clearance from the floor of the garage to the tip of the front fender. One is at 19 1/2 inches and the other at 18 1/2 inches. The 18 1/2 inch clearance is causing some fender rub on the front tire in tight turns. Anyone know what the clearance is supposed to be.....and/or how to adjust the front wheel clearance?

No but you might want to check the measurements at the triple tree and the top of the down tubes to see if they are the same. You may just need to loosen the brackets and allow the tubes to come down some?? Or you could call TMS and ask them.
Tomg

My wife and I have "his and Hers" Stallions. There is a difference of one inch in clearance from the floor of the garage to the tip of the front fender. One is at 19 1/2 inches and the other at 18 1/2 inches. The 18 1/2 inch clearance is causing some fender rub on the front tire in tight turns. Anyone know what the clearance is supposed to be.....and/or how to adjust the front wheel clearance?

You might also check the shock settings on both your Stallions. It could be that their settings are not the same. Settings are changed with the spanner wrench that came with your Stallions when they were new. Prior to changing the settings, raise the front end with a jack to take the weight off the front end. Good Luck..!ThumbUp

Daydreamer

You might also check the shock settings on both your Stallions. It could be that their settings are not the same. Settings are changed with the spanner wrench that came with your Stallions when they were new. Prior to changing the settings, raise the front end with a jack to take the weight off the front end. Good Luck..!ThumbUp

Daydreamer

Unfortunately, I did not receive the spanner wrench as I bought my Stallion from a private individual. Is this the type of wrench that can be purchased at a home depot or should I go to MotorTrike? Also, I noticed when I have both Stallions side by side with the hoods open, the one with the clearance issue has the headlight assembly resting on the front tire. On the second Stallion, there is about an inch clearance. I am not sure how to adjust the hood clearance. I changed the position of the rubber stops but it did not make any difference in the clearance.

Thanks for the advice.

You can get a spanner wrench at most automotive stores. My Stallion is an 08 and the hood rest on the tire ever since I've had it. You said you had fender rub on the tire but where does it rub?

You can get a spanner wrench at most automotive stores. My Stallion is an 08 and the hood rest on the tire ever since I've had it. You said you had fender rub on the tire but where does it rub?

Hi Ed,

Hope all is Well in Missouri. I get a tire rub on the front fender when in a full steering wheel turn, depending on the grade of the road which appears to make a difference. I plan on picking up a spanner wrench tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I did not receive the spanner wrench as I bought my Stallion from a private individual. Is this the type of wrench that can be purchased at a home depot or should I go to MotorTrike? Also, I noticed when I have both Stallions side by side with the hoods open, the one with the clearance issue has the headlight assembly resting on the front tire. On the second Stallion, there is about an inch clearance. I am not sure how to adjust the hood clearance. I changed the position of the rubber stops but it did not make any difference in the clearance.

Thanks for the advice.

spanner wrench does not come with the trike as some have mentioned!! the shocks should be set at one notch from the full setting. And DO NOT mess with the rear shocks!!
Tomg

i'll have to go out and check mine also , I know there was talk about it in the past , and also how to adjust the shocks in the front ( AFTER JACKING UP THE FRONT WHEEL * * * First )

spanner wrench does not come with the trike as some have mentioned!! the shocks should be set at one notch from the full setting. And DO NOT mess with the rear shocks!!
Tomg

I got a spanner wrench from a local motorcycle shop, (Free), and extended the strut to full extension. It is not change the ground clearance whatsoever..... You appear to know what you are talking about....what would you suggest I do next? The Stallion is a 2013 with about 4000 miles.

I got a spanner wrench from a local motorcycle shop, (Free), and extended the strut to full extension. It is not change the ground clearance whatsoever..... You appear to know what you are talking about....what would you suggest I do next? The Stallion is a 2013 with about 4000 miles.

I think you may have to look at your issue from the other angle. If adjusting the shocks did not help then I can say that there is no real adjustment to the forks. You could try to move the legs down in the triple trees but that is not how they are designed. I think I would look for ways to eliminate the rubbing by adjusting the parts that are being contacted. Maybe a little trimming will solve your issue.

I know this sounds crazy but has the front tire been replace with a different size tire? I know you said is is a 2013 with low miles but just wanted to make sure they were the same size tires.

I would say to take a couple of photos showing the height of the front edge of the fender height, the triple tree showing the top section and if possible the tire contact with the light. Then forward them to TMS and ask for their help.

Tomg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscopicker
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png