mud flaps

Jul 1, 2008
Bradford, TX
We put mud flaps or splash guards as some people call them) on that we ordered from Big Bike Parts, but one has already broken off and the other one nearly is. It's only been a year and the mud flaps are not cheap. Do any of you make your own or have a suggestion of some better rubber to use? I think they should last longer than this. Used to drive a semi and they would last much longer and thousands and thousands of miles, so there's got to be something out there that is better than what I got.

How are they wearing out? ... Mounting holes getting bigger? ... Rubber checking and breaking? ... Are they mounted with just bolts or do they have washers or a metal backing plate for reinforcement? ...

Maybe cut down a set of semi or rv flaps ...

I went to my local car parts store (Auto Zone ), the guy let me take a few CAR flaps out for a trial fit. I found a set that fit good. ,I needed to cat them here and there . I bought LED trailer lights (Stop turn and running combo ) they were like $23.00 each not cheap but worth every penny . everyone that follows me remarks on how bright they are.( U never have enough rear lights. ) I mounted the Trailer light on the flaps and I mounted the flaps on the trike with FENDER washers and sheet metal screws. That was 4 years ago. You may be able to see them in my album .

Just a suggestion: With whichever type you get. How about from the top of the portion that you would bolt to your fender. Measure about an inch past that portion that extends down from the edge of the fender. Cut that straight across. Re-attach it again. using piano hinge. This will allow the flaps to fold out of the way when riding across terrain that would normally come in contact with the flaps when they are rid-git. Also re-leaves any stress. if in fact you had to put the trike on or off a trailer. Also Ive been seeing chips in the edge of the body between the exhaust pipes. You will need to extend the flap all the ways across in this area.

zoood

We put mud flaps or splash guards as some people call them) on that we ordered from Big Bike Parts, but one has already broken off and the other one nearly is. It's only been a year and the mud flaps are not cheap. Do any of you make your own or have a suggestion of some better rubber to use? I think they should last longer than this. Used to drive a semi and they would last much longer and thousands and thousands of miles, so there's got to be something out there that is better than what I got.

I purchased the same ones that are used on Harley Dresser rear fenders on the Voyager fenders, they look similar to the ones that Lehman sells for their trikes, I bought them 4 years ago from either Dennis Kirk or Chaparall Motorsports and they weren't cheap, they have a hard backing and a weather proof leather with a medallion on them.
Thank you,
Trike Lady
:2cents:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png