California Side Car Service

Aug 26, 2015
Brighton
I have a 2008 Harley Ultra with a CSC Daytona conversion that I bought used, 2 years ago.. Early this year after the trike made strange noises, it was discovered that the CSC drive unit was bad. Not being able to find a CSC mechanic anywhere near home, I ended up taking it to be repaired 75 miles from my house, to a 'CSC Dealer'. It took 8 weeks to fix it at a cost of almost $3500.

I was told that either the CSC unit was defective, or it was installed incorrectly to begin with. I asked CSC for help to pay for it. Their response was that "There is nothing that we can do at this point."

I previously thought that CSC made one of the best conversion units available, but after this experience, I wouldn't recommend that anyone get a CSC trike. If I had it to do over again, I would look for a different trike, one not with a CSC conversion. This whole CSC purchase was a nightmare to me.

I have a 2008 Harley Ultra with a CSC Daytona conversion that I bought used, 2 years ago.. Early this year after the trike made strange noises, it was discovered that the CSC drive unit was bad. Not being able to find a CSC mechanic anywhere near home, I ended up taking it to be repaired 75 miles from my house, to a 'CSC Dealer'. It took 8 weeks to fix it at a cost of almost $3500.

I was told that either the CSC unit was defective, or it was installed incorrectly to begin with. I asked CSC for help to pay for it. Their response was that "There is nothing that we can do at this point."

I previously thought that CSC made one of the best conversion units available, but after this experience, I wouldn't recommend that anyone get a CSC trike. If I had it to do over again, I would look for a different trike, one not with a CSC conversion. This whole CSC purchase was a nightmare to me.

I am sorry for your experience but I see CSC's position. you buy a used unit 2 years ago, how old is the unit?

How it was installed originally how it was used is unknown to you because you didn't own it, It fails after you have it 2 years, who installed it on your bike? If it was you then how can you expect CSC to take responsibility for a product that is over 2 years old with a very unknown history. Sorry but if you had been the original purchaser and they were the installer then you would be correct in being upset. In your own words the CSC dealer states that it could have been installed incorrectly. With an unknown history anyone could have made that error before you or who ever did your install, so I see their position of saying we had no control over the product. Again sorry but maybe chalk it up to possibly a bad purchase not a bad company.

I agree with Gorilla. This is your first post and you are BASHING a trike manufacturer.
Where were you TWO years ago when you bought the TRIKE??
What maintenance have YOU done since the purchase??

Welcome to the gang. Sorry about your issues, but there is no way a dealer would accept responsibility for a used purchase installed by who knows who.

Most manufacturers want to make things right when they can, but they have to draw the line somewhere.

I heard lots of horror stories about companies not honoring warranties on conversions when I was looking to go three. I was told the bike end manufacturer would blame the trike end and vice versa. I opted for a factory built tri. Having said that, I've been very impressed with the responses from the "kit" manufacturers and installers, as well as the bike end manufactures on issues I've seen here on TT. I'd have no issue doing a conversion with the knowledge I know have. Seems the horror stories where just that ... stories.

I can tell you for certain no manufacture warranties anything past the original owner without some kind of transfer at the time of purchase. An ex girl friend and I purchased a car from a dealer. A year later she traded it in on a new one with an auto transmission.

After her old one was on the lot for 6 weeks, I bought it back for me, mainly because it was a great car and I knew it's history.. Both our names where on both purchases, the manufacture wouldn't honor the warranty, without a transfer document saying the warranty was transferred from me to me ... go figure .. so unless there was a transfer of the remaining, if any warranty, I would feel it's your responsibility to pay for the repairs.

As for it being installed incorrectly, or being defective, seems a stretch since it was okay for two years. Just my $0.02. I've seen kit manufactures and installers go way out of their way to make things right, but I can see why in this case they had to draw the line. Might not seem fair, but it is common practice in all industry. Sorry your trike failed, now that it's fixed, hopefully it will give you many miles and lots of smiles.

Gimme a break.

:(
Welcome to the gang. Sorry about your issues, but there is no way a dealer would accept responsibility for a used purchase installed by who knows who. Most manufacturers want to make things right when they can, but they have to draw the line somewhere.

I heard lots of horror stories about companies not honoring warranties on conversions when I was looking to go three. I was told the bike end manufacturer would blame the trike end and vice versa. I opted for a factory built tri. Having said that, I've been very impressed with the responses from the "kit" manufacturers and installers, as well as the bike end manufactures on issues I've seen here on TT. I'd have no issue doing a conversion with the knowledge I know have. Seems the horror stories where just that ... stories.

I can tell you for certain no manufacture warranties anything past the original owner without some kind of transfer at the time of purchase.

An ex girl friend and I purchased a car from a dealer. A year later she traded it in on a new one with an auto transmission. After her old one was on the lot for 6 weeks, I bought it back for me, mainly because it was a great car and I knew it's history.. Both our names where on both purchases, the manufacture wouldn't honor the warranty, without a transfer document saying the warranty was transferred from me to me ... go figure .. so unless there was a transfer of the remaining, if any warranty, I would feel it's your responsibility to pay for the repairs.

As for it being installed incorrectly, or being defective, seems a stretch since it was okay for two years. Just my $0.02. I've seen kit manufactures and installers go way out of their way to make things right, but I can see why in this case they had to draw the line. Might not seem fair, but it is common practice in all industry.

Sorry your trike failed, now that it's fixed, hopefully it will give you many miles and lots of smiles.

Gimme A break.

OK guys...let's say I accept your premise (which I don't) that CSC has no responsibility for my CSC problem. What about the lack of available service? In Michigan, the so called CSC Dealers are few and far between, and locally are backyard mechanics without proper training and experience. (By the way, my trike has been very adequately maintained since it was brand new, and it has not been abused, and well taken care of).

I got lucky and found a bike/trike shop almost 80 miles from home that is familiar with CSC conversions. He did fix the problem, and it took him 8 full weeks to do it. During the 8 weeks, all I got were excuses, most of which were not true, and I was without my ride for most of the summer.

CSC and the shop represented him as a CSC Dealer. Doesn't CSC have some responsibility and accountability for an entity they call their dealer?

I am not trashing the mechanic, or even CSC. I'm just trying to alert consumers of the nightmare and huge expense that I've experienced with my CSC trike. If I had it to do over, I'd buy a trike from a Harley dealer where I could at least expect decent service when I have a trike problem.

It's really all about good customer service. I'm 75 years old, and have been riding for over 55 years.

Sounds like you need to go buy a Harley TriGlide!

I have a CSC conversion, and it's going on 2 years and CSC has fixed all my issues to date (2 problems). BUT, I had it installed by a trike dealer that was certified by CSC and they maintain the maintenance on it (I'm in Texas and the dealer is not real close, an hour ride). This dealer makes sure I continue to be very happy with my CSC conversion, and I love every thing about it!

OK guys...let's say I accept your premise (which I don't) that CSC has no responsibility for my CSC problem. What about the lack of available service? In Michigan, the so called CSC Dealers are few and far between, and locally are backyard mechanics without proper training and experience. (By the way, my trike has been very adequately maintained since it was brand new, and it has not been abused, and well taken care of).

I got lucky and found a bike/trike shop almost 80 miles from home that is familiar with CSC conversions. He did fix the problem, and it took him 8 full weeks to do it. During the 8 weeks, all I got were excuses, most of which were not true, and I was without my ride for most of the summer.

CSC and the shop represented him as a CSC Dealer. Doesn't CSC have some responsibility and accountability for an entity they call their dealer?

I am not trashing the mechanic, or even CSC. I'm just trying to alert consumers of the nightmare and huge expense that I've experienced with my CSC trike. If I had it to do over, I'd buy a trike from a Harley dealer where I could at least expect decent service when I have a trike problem.

It's really all about good customer service. I'm 75 years old, and have been riding for over 55 years.

CSC is not Harley-Davidson, Ford or Chevrolet that has a DEALER just about everywhere.

TRIKES are a very small percentage of motorcycles sold. Harley sells more TriGlides than Honda sells GL1800's(2 wheel variety) in the USA.

CSC's warranty is 3 years/50,000 miles and you were well beyond the years and not the original owner.

So in other words what you're really upset about is that you bought a used item from a private individual 2 years ago and when it broke you realized you had no recourse but to pay a third party to fix it Was there any consideration given to authorized service when you bought the trike?

Or was the deal just too good to pass up? ;)

In all fairness, I owned a 2004 Wing and had a CSC conversion put on it in 2011 and whenever I had an issue CSC was great about answering my questions and responding to my issues.

Seems to me due diligence would of led you to the knowledge of dealer locations before purchasing your ride.

I'm not unsympathetic to your plight, but I do feel you bear a large part of the responsibility. You bought a used trike in an area that has little or no dealers. In my town we don't have a VW dealer, I would never buy a VW while I live here ... for just that reason.

I'm 60 miles to the closest trike dealer at all and 80 to the Motor trike /CSC dealer.The dealer thats 60 miles away farms out the trikes to an independent installer.Other than a very small Ford dealer in town i'm 40-50 from an auto dealer.I have to consider if warranty is even something to fret about when I buy stuff.

I bought my trike fom a dealer that was 15 miles from my home. I found that closer is not better. They screwed up more than they fixed just from doing the first service. Eventually them and their sister dealer in Ohio closed due to what they did to customers bikes. There is a dealer 60 miles away. I had them work on it twice. I wouldnt have them fix it if it died in front of their dealer now. The installer who worked on mine just retired but he was 342 miles from home. And I never ever had to worry about his work on my trike. He fixed all of the issues the other dealers created plus found a few things the factory didnt finish and install correctly.

Good installers are where you find them,and if you have to drive some for piece of mind your life is worth it.

Also my question is to you,how old was the unit when you bought it and how many miles on it? Also not having a certified CSC installer working on it i would be worried you had a parts replacer rather than a mechanic working on it.

So in other words what you're really upset about is that you bought a used item from a private individual 2 years ago and when it broke you realized you had no recourse but to pay a third party to fix it Was there any consideration given to authorized service when you bought the trike?

Or was the deal just too good to pass up? ;)

The deal was OK (fair to both sides) but not "too good to pass up". It just happened to be what I was looking for after months of researching and looking. At the time I got it, it had only 3600 miles, and had been well maintained and cared for. I rode it carefully, and well maintained until it broke at 21000 miles. That's not many miles at all, to put on a CSC, when it broke. It then cost me $3400 plus to fix. In conclusion, I feel that either the unit was defective to begin with...or it was installed incorrectly. Therefore I shouldn't bear all the financial responsibility to fix it.

I loved everything about the CSC conversion up until it broke. At this point, I would not recommend CSC to anyone.

At the time I got it, it had only 3600 miles, and had been well maintained and cared for. I rode it carefully, and well maintained until it broke at 21000 miles. That's not many miles at all, to put on a CSC, when it broke. It then cost me $3400 plus to fix. In conclusion, I feel that either the unit was defective to begin with...or it was installed incorrectly. Therefore I shouldn't bear all the financial responsibility to fix it.

My point is very simple ... you purchased a 5 year old bike with a conversion ... put over 6 times the miles on it in a two year period and somehow you still maintain that there was a defect or installation issue that happened 8 years ago or at a minimum 2 years when it was converted. In that time frame, you where happy with the trike. I do not see anyway that CSC could or should be held responsible for this.

Even if there was a defect or an installation problem, I'm fairly certain that implied and written warranties where only with the original purchaser. You being the "Third" party here have no recourse other than to fix it and get on with life. If this is the first time you've ever gotten a used item that failed in your life ... you've done well ... if it's not ... then you should understand that warranties do not carry over to "third" parties unless specifically transferred. You're other issues, "no dealers close to me" are your issues, since you clearly didn't check into them.

There is a silver lining. You discovered the problem (which you've given no info on) and had it fixed before it left you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Count your blessings, and ride your beautiful trike. :D

The deal was OK (fair to both sides) but not "too good to pass up". It just happened to be what I was looking for after months of researching and looking. At the time I got it, it had only 3600 miles, and had been well maintained and cared for. I rode it carefully, and well maintained until it broke at 21000 miles. That's not many miles at all, to put on a CSC, when it broke. It then cost me $3400 plus to fix. In conclusion, I feel that either the unit was defective to begin with...or it was installed incorrectly. Therefore I shouldn't bear all the financial responsibility to fix it.

I loved everything about the CSC conversion up until it broke. At this point, I would not recommend CSC to anyone.

I, too, feel bad for you having to spend that money to get the trike right again. All of us have taken a leap of faith in having our bikes converted and most all are very happy with what we've got and have been treated well for the most part.

Myself I had a bad episode due to the Honda rear brake recall--it failed and ruined a bunch of brand new CSC parts in the process. It was ugly.

But fortunately I had a CSC/Honda dealer do my conversion and they went to bat for me and Honda fixed everything free of charge under a warranty claim even though the bike itself was out of warranty. This is why you see so much emphasis placed on who people choose for an installer--it can be critical. When you buy used you're at a loss for recourse--everybody knows that. You can do well--or you can take a bath. It's a roll of the dice.

I own a 2005 Honda VTX. Bought it used. At 20,000 it blew a head gasket. Cost $1500. Two dealers told me that doesn't happen. 1 year almost to the day it did it again. Same head. Cost $1500. Is Honda responsible???? I think not.

S*&^ happens. I will side with you on the dealer problem. There is no reason it would that 8 weeks to repair unless whatever was broke was out of stock and the replacement had to be made and sent from China. I don't go to dealers for anything. The pic below is of a thermostat that nobody has ever seen. Center shaft is bent. S*&^ happens.

Attachments

• t-stat 003.JPG
    t-stat 003.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 151
  • t-stat 001.JPG
    t-stat 001.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 135

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png