An experience in Sturgis 2015

May 25, 2011
Griffin, Ga USA
I am not justifying or defending any of following. Just relating what happened so maybe others can prevent having a similar experience.

Pulled out of a side street near the Easyrider on to Lasalle at around 10:30 pm. Went to the left lane on Lasalle to make a left turn at a traffic light about 50 feet from where I was. Blue lights came on behind me. Did a breath test, blew a 0.82 (limit is 0.80). Got arrested, handcuffed, put in cruiser, locked in cell with 6 other guys (cell had 4 bunks & 4 mattresses on the floor). Charged with DUI, wearing tinted glasses after sunset, reckless driving for not signaling a lane change when going to left lane to make a left turn.

Next morning in court when I went before judge, he read the charges. A court lawyer stood up and said if I pleaded guilty they would drop the DUI charge. If not, all charges would stand and I would need to return to court in 7 to 10 working days.

I pled guilty. Fined $1,500 to be paid prior to leaving courthouse.

Charged with Reckless Driving for just making an improper lane change? You are aware that R/D is just as bad as DUI,on your driving record. Probably would have beat the R/D charge in court but not the DUI so you are screwed either way. Very expensive lesson,one that will continue to cost you for many years.

Not for me

I have no thoughts on going to there with that many people bad enough at home. ride safely fearless:AGGHH:

How things change..

Two years ago if they stopped you for suspected DUI and you blew over the limit they charged you with public intoxication, $1000.00 fine, $300.00 bike towing fee (which they did tow). Paid your $1300.00 and down the road you went. Guess "it is all about the money". They're trying to cover expenses for next year cause nobody's going to be there.

I'd say you're pretty lucky with what they stuck you with. DUI can run in the $10-$20,000.00 range. But RD can bite you pretty hard too depending on your home state.

8~\o

There is a chance that they may not report the whole thing to your state DMV. It may just stay local all the way. I bet that is what happens but keep a look at your DMV to see if it gets reported to it.

In 07 I got pulled over for not putting both feet down at a stop sign (3 wheels) ... the officer said since I did come to a complete stop he would only give me a warning, written warning.

Yep Sturges is now and always has been about the money.

When I went in 75&76, I never left the "field". The locals didn't want you there. It was okay, because that was before I became a Christian and gave up booze ... About all I remember was going to get drunk, waking up under the tarp tied to my sportster to make a lean to, washing my face and going to get drunk again, only to be repeated the next time I woke up under the tarp. Other than that, I don't remember anything ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In 07 I got pulled over for not putting both feet down at a stop sign (3 wheels) ... the officer said since I did come to a complete stop he would only give me a warning, written warning.

Yep Sturges is now and always has been about the money.

When I went in 75&76, I never left the "field". The locals didn't want you there. It was okay, because that was before I became a Christian and gave up booze ... About all I remember was going to get drunk, waking up under the tarp tied to my sportster to make a lean to, washing my face and going to get drunk again, only to be repeated the next time I woke up under the tarp. Other than that, I don't remember anything ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Fuzzy, that does not even sound exiting or even fun, glad you grew out of that!!!:clapping:

Roger

Sturgis

I went to Sturgis in 98 and 99 with WCW wrestling as their doctor and rode into Sturgis with Bill Goldberg for the Road Wylde pay per view.

All of the wrestlers, Sting, Hulk Hogan, The Steiners, Macho Man, DDP, Big Sexy Kevin Nash were all there, and I rode everywhere with them.

Even 15 years ago it was about ripping the biker off for as much money as possible. Sales tax is collected from every vendor every evening and if you don't pay it, you're closed down. Look at how much food and drinks cost. A $39 hotel room is $200. If that's not taking advantage of people I don't know what is. I do realize supply and demand, but the whole situation is deplorable. I do know that the people gouging others sure wouldn't want it done to them if they were out of town.

Several years ago, Easyriders wanted to boycott Sturgis because of that very reason, but everyone keeps going. Two years was enough for me.

this is uncanny. I have a pic of you guys at Hulett and Goldberg is drinking beer out of a toilet plunger. Visited with him for quite a while. Super guy !!!

8~\o
Knew I'd find the pic in all my many years of riding up there....

2blackbelts
Sturgis
I went to Sturgis in 98 and 99 with WCW wrestling as their doctor and rode into Sturgis with Bill Goldberg for the Road Wylde pay per view.

All of the wrestlers, Sting, Hulk Hogan, The Steiners, Macho Man, DDP, Big Sexy Kevin Nash were all there, and I rode everywhere with them.

Attachments

• MVC-688L.JPG
    MVC-688L.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 137
I have no desire whatsoever to visit Sturgis. Keep this kind of thing up and they'll eventually kill the whole thing - which would be for the best.

Never been, don't want to go.

That many people in a small place, something bad is bound to happen. The authorities say that MS 13 is a large gang, it's nothing compared to law enforcement!

They said you blew a 0.82 but were their devices calculated? Probably not, and if so, they were probably set a little high for the extra income.

If you would have contested it, at least you could have gone back to ride without the crowds; at any view, you were one of the unlucky visitors that prove there is safety in numbers. We will never win against law enforcement, we just need to outsmart them when we can.

I'm gonna play devils advocate

You skated on a DUI, that is a MAJOR thing.
You can not believe how bad a conviction screws things up.
It Kansas, it stays on your license FOREVER.

The reckless charge isn't going to be a little thing, but
it sure as heck beats the DUI. HOWEVER, reckless driving
in some states is grounds to suspend your drivers license.
You need to watch your mail for any letters from your state
for a while.

In six months, if you havnt gotten any official letters, go
down and have your local Law Enforcement run your license.
Around here, it costs you 5 bucks. By then, if it is gonna show up,
it will be there.

I went to Sturgis (not during the rally) and it was during the day. This was about three weeks before the rally started and during that time everything seamed calm and quite. Even then you could tell that if it wasn't for the bikers there would't be a Sturgis. It doesn't matter if there wasn't a Sturgis it would be somewhere else and the same things would go on.

I am not justifying or defending any of following. Just relating what happened so maybe others can prevent having a similar experience.

Pulled out of a side street near the Easyrider on to Lasalle at around 10:30 pm. Went to the left lane on Lasalle to make a left turn at a traffic light about 50 feet from where I was. Blue lights came on behind me. Did a breath test, blew a 0.82 (limit is 0.80). Got arrested, handcuffed, put in cruiser, locked in cell with 6 other guys (cell had 4 bunks & 4 mattresses on the floor). Charged with DUI, wearing tinted glasses after sunset, reckless driving for not signaling a lane change when going to left lane to make a left turn.

Next morning in court when I went before judge, he read the charges. A court lawyer stood up and said if I pleaded guilty they would drop the DUI charge. If not, all charges would stand and I would need to return to court in 7 to 10 working days. I pled guilty. Fined $1,500 to be paid prior to leaving courthouse.

Well consider the hotel rates jacked up at least three times higher than normal, residents renting their property for a week to pay 6 mo. worth of mortgage and it's not to hard to figure out the town and county officials have to get into the act.
:gah: DUDE! Someone has to pay for College, The high maintenance girl friends apartment and new car?

Someone has to pay the overtime for all the extra law they import for the event. These days they got cops running around in gangs fer chris sake!
:Coffee:DUI is the revenue for winter snow removal also.

Everyone should visit the zoo once a year but you don't have to sleep with the animals!
The hog jam in Hullet was the only place you could cut your wolf loose a bit and all that has changed now!

They figure it's just the high cost of low living and anyone riding in on a $30,000 machine has money to burn.

I long for the day when I rode in on a garage built chopper with a spray can paint job and a rolled up towel for a seat and could do anything I wanted to as long as it was in a campground?

Lets face it? Last time I went to Sturgis if it wasn't the (same) mostly naked chicks I seen thirty years ago they must have sent their mothers in their place.
Talk about the animals?:Coffee:

:Shrug: The dress code has changed also and not to my liking either, You can still look for your buddy he will be wearing levis and a black T-shirt but the ladies?
Going to see the elephant means something different now than it used to?:laugh:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png