Starter safety switch

Hi VW Trike Lovers :wave4:
I am trying to set up a safety switch on my clutch pedal so the starter will not engage until I depress the clutch.
I have started my trike several times in gear, while I was working on it. Dam near ran myself over.
:(
I have a Arizona Trike Kit. Stock 1600 with 4 speed.
If you look close you will see the clutch pedal in pic.
Pedal pulls the cable witch operates the clutch.
Has anyone set up a switch to shut down their starter on the clutch pedal of their Trike ? I know a lot or standard shift cars have them.

asset.php

Thank's
TrikerBilly

Hello.

Yeah, I have been living without one also.
Maybe some sort of micro switch somewhere on the linkage. Best place is probably on the shifter as a neutral switch.
The hydraulic clutch units have an option of a switch on the cylinder. Other than the hydraulic kit I do not know of any others you can buy. Some of the late/last models did have a switch on the side of the trans.
Most likely you will have to make it all the way.

My Dodge Dakota has a switch on the clutch arm under the dash. Any auto parts will have one. Hook it to the ignition wiring. A relay would make things easy to do.

Attachments

• VTX done 005.JPG
    VTX done 005.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 82
  • VTX done 006.JPG
    VTX done 006.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 83
I would think it should be pretty easy 2 hook up 1 of the universal stoplight switches on the trans end. You would need the relay kit though. Depressing the clutch would pull the switch and allow it 2 start. You could probably put a bracket on the engie bolt.

I think Deathbysnusnu is on the right track. That spring loaded micro switch would be just the ticket.

I don't personally care to have a neutral safety switch in case clutch goes bad I can still start the trike in gear, but I understand why you would want one.

Yup that switch is what I had in mind. I don't know if it can handle the amps. I have the relay kit on mine because sometime all u get is the solenoid click no start. This is pretty common on old vw's.

Mine has a hydraulic clutch. I was thinking of using a brake light switch between the master and slave cylinders to interrupt power to the starter solenoid. The starter would only engage with the clutch pedal pushed in.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png