LRS you gotta luv 'em

If you will read on their website (and I called to confirm) their 10" would have actually been 1/2 shorter than stock due to how they measure. The 11" is supposed to be 1/2" taller. In the center, it's an inch+ taller. There's nothing I can do now though.

Im 5'11" by the way.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason that I ask is....I am 6' and I have a new 2015 TG with a Tall Boy seat and the top of the stock 10" windshield was smack dab in the middle of my line of sight. So I bought a HD 12" light smoke. It put the top of the windshield just above my sight line and that was OK, but the top of the windshield was still a bit of a distraction. Then in anticipation of getting a DK lift kit which puts me about an 1" taller in the seat I decided to get the big 15" HD clear barn door. It puts the top well out of my line of sight.

The first day that I rode with it I got caught in a down poor on surface streets. I was not going fast enough for the windshield to get the air/rain up over my head, so the visor on my helmet got rain soaked.

AND I had to look 'through' a rain soaked windshield which made vision doubly challenging :xzqxz:

So in the interest of safety :D I am considering adding to my windshield collection, and getting a shorter than stock recurve so I can ride while looking over​ the windshield but still have the benefit of a see through type windshield. I believe an 8 or 9" LRS would work for me, but will wait until I can get someone to help me take an accurate level measurement between my upper lip and the windshield as the last thing I need is 4 extra windshields.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason that I ask is....I am 6' and I have a new 2015 TG with a Tall Boy seat and the top of the stock 10" windshield was smack dab in the middle of my line of sight. So I bought a HD 12" light smoke. It put the top of the windshield just above my sight line and that was OK, but the top of the windshield was still a bit of a distraction. Then in anticipation of getting a DK lift kit which puts me about an 1" taller in the seat I decided to get the big 15" HD clear barn door. It puts the top well out of my line of sight.

The first day that I rode with it I got caught in a down poor on surface streets. I was not going fast enough for the windshield to get the air/rain up over my head, so the visor on my helmet got rain soaked. AND I had to look 'through' a rain soaked windshield which made vision doubly challenging :xzqxz:

So in the interest of safety :D I am considering adding to my windshield collection, and getting a shorter than stock recurve so I can ride while looking over​ the windshield but still have the benefit of a see through type windshield. I believe an 8 or 9" LRS would work for me, but will wait until I can get someone to help me take an accurate level measurement between my upper lip and the windshield as the last thing I need is 4 extra windshields.

According to their measurement, they claim that the 10" is 1/2" shorter than stock. That would make all the difference in the world to me. Of course, I've got short legs and a long body.

My sitting height is about the same as 'normal' people that are around 6'1".

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your reply.

The first day that I rode with it I got caught in a down poor on surface streets. I was not going fast enough for the windshield to get the air/rain up over my head, so the visor on my helmet got rain soaked. AND I had to look 'through' a rain soaked windshield which made vision doubly challenging :xzqxz:

According to their measurement, they claim that the 10" is 1/2" shorter than stock. That would make all the difference in the world to me. Of course, I've got short legs and a long body.

My sitting height is about the same as 'normal' people that are around 6'1".

To reap as much benefit as possible, I wouldn't go below 10" if I were you. Especially since you're putting the rear lift on (just as I did).

According to their measurement, they claim that the 10" is 1/2" shorter than stock.

To reap as much benefit as possible, I wouldn't go below 10" if I were you. Especially since you're putting the rear lift on (just as I did).

This is what I have done so far.

Before I installed the lift kit I put a piece of blue painters tape vertically on the inside of the windshield and then tried to put a level at my upper lip and the other end close to the windshield to to mark a level spot. It is not easy holding it level AND reading it, but I got an idea of where level would be on the windshield. Then I measured it on the outside from the center mounting bolt and the spot was right about 8". Then I placed a piece of tape horizontal on the outside of the windshield at 8" and rode around with the tape on there to SEE if I could see over it. That height seems to be perfect for me. Next I will get help accurately marking the vertical tape at upper lip level and then go for a ride with a horizontal tape at that height.

I also carefully placed my stock 10" windshield on top of the 15" and it does indeed measure 10 1/2" high from the center bolt.

The other markings on the vertical tape are at the Sport, Small and Medium height of a previously mentioned competitors windshield. The 8" LRS and the other Sport are nearly identical in height.

Attachments

• IMGP2580.JPG
    IMGP2580.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 107
  • IMGP2581.JPG
    IMGP2581.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 133
Oh no...here's a thought...you are leaned way back further than you would normally ride. This will affect where the measurements should be. Hang something from the ceiling to your lip, then back the bike up to your windshield and mark it.

In my opinion that is the best and most accurate way of giving you a true measurement.

Is there any distortion when looking through the recurve part of the windshield?

As Fuzzy says...yep. But so does Clearview. They claim not to, but it did have a distortion. It's not possible not to. But both companies do a good job of minimizing it.

Well...your experienced advice helped too ;) ;) Thanks

When I looked at all that, I cringed. However, you'll be in the same boat with the LRS unless you get the Ultra Elite. Their 'lesser' shield will scratch up and need the same amount of TLC Clearview does. They do tell you not to use any kind of polish on the ultra elite, to not rub off the glass coating. I can wipe dew off mine with a paper towel with no ill effects.

IIRC, they had at 50%+ off sale that happened last year during Columbus Day week. Then I'm about 100% sure they had one for Veteran's Day.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png