2015 Tri Glide clutch issue

Jul 27, 2012
W.Rutland, Vt.
I have an issue with the clutch operation on my 2015 Tri Glide. When I release the clutch the lever goes almost to the end of the travel and then engages abruptly. Dealer says there is no adjustment for this.It makes smooth takeoff very diffficult. Has anyone had this issue ? I had the Screamin Eagle hydraulic clutch in my 05 RoadGlide and it was trouble free for 10 years.

Takes some getting used to.

If you just went to a Hydraulic Clutch, from a cable clutch! It just takes a little getting used to the difference. You will catch on quick.

If you just went to a Hydraulic Clutch, from a cable clutch! It just takes a little getting used to the difference. You will catch on quick.
I have had a Hydraulic clutch (Screamin Eagle)
for 10 years.This one just isn't right.

- - - Updated - - -

JMO but sounds like it is sticking before it engages.

I don't think it is sticking because I only have to pull the lever about 1/2 way to disengage the clutch:Shrug:

Your right ... no adjustment ... Manual says the first thing that should be done is to bleed the line. If that does not work then rebuild the master cylinder on the handlebar and bleed it again. Make sure you have 38 ounces (NOT A QUART!) of the Primary fluid of your choice (I use H-D Formula+). My 2014 is very smooth.

Bob :Dorag:

I have had a Hydraulic clutch (Screamin Eagle)
for 10 years.This one just isn't right.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it is sticking because I only have to pull the lever about 1/2 way to disengage the clutch:Shrug:

If bleeding doesn't take care of it maybe its back at the clutch basket?? Could be sticking there?
Wasn't there a recent recall on the hydraulic clutches? Not sure if it was related to the 2015 models.

All the action in mine is within the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the lever range. But once I got used to it, it was very smooth. It was the same on a couple of Jeeps I have had and on a 2013 Triglide I test drove before buying this 2015. On the hydraulic clutch, all the engaging/disengaging is in the first little bit of the action. I have no experience with the other hydraulic clutch you were using, so I can't comment on the difference.

like 3msocks says there is a recall out of the hydraulic clutch even if it doesn't apply the symptoms you describe do so ask the dealer to check it out.

Just received my trike and the clutch operates the same way. Almost all the way out before the clutch engages. Not use to it from old clutch and to tell you the truth I don't want to get use to it. I will mention it to the dealer when I go back next week for the RZ seat cable.

Just received my trike and the clutch operates the same way. Almost all the way out before the clutch engages. Not use to it from old clutch and to tell you the truth I don't want to get use to it. I will mention it to the dealer when I go back next week for the RZ seat cable.

Thanks Windy,I was bginning to think it was me!

like 3msocks says there is a recall out of the hydraulic clutch even if it doesn't apply the symptoms you describe do so ask the dealer to check it out.

Went to the dealer this morning, Service manager said problem is in the new (14 and up)master cylinders. He said we can try bleeding it again but did not hold a lot of hope that bleeding would correct it.My 05 with the Screamin Eagle hydraulic actuation was perfect no matter what clutch assembly I had in it. the last one was a Rivera Pro clutch with lock up.

Went to the dealer this morning, Service manager said problem is in the new (14 and up)master cylinders. He said we can try bleeding it again but did not hold a lot of hope that bleeding would correct it.My 05 with the Screamin Eagle hydraulic actuation was perfect no matter what clutch assembly I had in it. the last one was a Rivera Pro clutch with lock up.
Bled clutch today. Got a few bubbles. No difference in operation.Took about a hundred mile ride this afternoon. Taking off from a stop is still a pain in the butt.I would buy a new master cylinder if I thought that would cure it. Guess I will sait il they start recalling trikes.

have a 2015 Mine engages pretty far out. Had the dealer Bleed the line. About the same. Big difference from my old bikes. I am now used to it, know where the friction zone is, and dont even think about it.

I've had 4 cable clutch Harleys (3 wet & 1 dry) and I've had many hydraulic clutch metrics .... so adjusting to the 2014 Hydraulic clutch was easy for me. When you let it out ... for a fraction of a second it is still letting itself out and that's what you have to get used to. If you rode a V-Rod it is the same sensation on their hydraulic clutch.

I've got over 14K on my 2014 and don't even think about it ... I just drive it. ThumbUp

Bob :Dorag:

It is a strange feeling to let the clutch lever almost all the way out to engage the clutch. Very much different than my 13 was and either of the other 2 bikes I had. I am getting use to it but it is still not right to me.

just for giggles go test ride a new trike and see if it is the same to you if it is then you know for sure its normal ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png