VW Trike autostick to 4 spd shift rod change?

Jul 10, 2015
Riverton
Is there any one out there who has first hand experience doing an autostick to 4spd conversion??? My question is about the existing shift rod and what you did with it? Did you use it and do whatever mods that where needed(?) or did you use a 4spd shift rod? Ive posted about my hydraulic system and I seem to have about an inch of movement but my primary issue for now is the shift rod/tube. Thanks

I do not have any experience, I have only seen one auto stick ever in real life. Have never seen a vw automatic ever, and I have been into vw since the mid 70,s.
But going by ancient memories I think you will need the shifter and the rod.
Maybe someone knows more about it.
Good luck.

I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think there is any difference on the shifter linkage rod between the autostick & 4 speed assuming both are type 1's. <br />
The autostick has a spring on the joint that holds the shifter rod to the trans end that is not needed on a 4 speed.<br />
The main difference is the shifter itself. However I believe you could still use the A/S shifter on a 4 speed, but not vice versa, as the A/S has an electrical contact switch on the shifter. <br />
The shifter's hold down 2 bolt guide plate that controls the shift pattern is different between the A/S & 4 sp., as the A/S is really only a 3 speed.

Man o' Man, this is something I am going to have to let the little dude run around in the head for some time. :laugh:

It has been a long time since I have dealt with the ole autostick system and I can't remember how that puppy is set up to be honest. I will look back in my old, old records and see what I can dig up. LOL

If you had the shifter and shift rod for an autostick and for a manual shift in front of you the difference is noticeable. The autostick shifter has a ball on the end which mates with a socket on the shift rod end. Manual shifters have the ball, but with a pin sticking out the front which then aligns with the shift rod end socket which has a mating slot in the front of it. The difference of the pin and slot keeps the tolerance tight enough to cleanly handle the manual shift requirements for the 'double H' pattern.

And some of the early VWs with manual transaxles did not have the pin and slot design. And those are same ones that were notorious for slipping apart (the ball comes out of the socket making the shifter totally inoperable) with any misadjustment or wear in the system.

Plan to change the shifter and rod (cheap parts) - and dune buggy supply houses can supply kits to shorten the shift rod. If your new shifter position is not in direct line with the transaxle shifter shaft, you can adapt a u-joint or or some other method to allow dependable shifting from an angle.

It's been a while since I did a conversion (so you other Tech Gurus correct anything I have wrong), but I always replaced the shifter/rod components. Should be an easy conversion in a trike, quite a job in a Beetle (you have to remove cover plates from the front of the body and the frame and fish the rod out of the tunnel and a new one back in - not to mention switching out the tranny itself.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png