Reverse Not Working on 2015 Tri Glide

Jul 22, 2015
Oklahoma City
Recently bought a new 2015 Tri Glide. A buddy of mine was putting it in reverse, tried backing up, then realized the emergency brake was on. Released the emergency brake, but now reverse does not work. It acts like it is engaging when you put it in reverse and push the reverse button, it makes the "locking" sound when you push the button, but nothing else happens. Almost as if it is trying to engage but not engaging all the way or something. We rode it, shifted it, brought it back and re-tried it, but no luck. Anyone ever experienced this? Obviously it is under warranty, just curious if it is something you have experienced?
Also, I have a 2010 TriGlide for sale, does this forum allow sales ads?

Recently bought a new 2015 Tri Glide. A buddy of mine was putting it in reverse, tried backing up, then realized the emergency brake was on. Released the emergency brake, but now reverse does not work. It acts like it is engaging when you put it in reverse and push the reverse button, it makes the "locking" sound when you push the button, but nothing else happens. Almost as if it is trying to engage but not engaging all the way or something. We rode it, shifted it, brought it back and re-tried it, but no luck. Anyone ever experienced this? Obviously it is under warranty, just curious if it is something you have experienced?

Behind the right side cover is a circuit breaker with a little red button on top. This will pop when you do what got done. Push the button down and try again.

=bob=

x

Behind the right side cover is a circuit breaker with a little red button on top. This will pop when you do what got done. Push the button down and try again.

=bob=
Thanks Bob, I tried the reset, for some reason it doesn't want to stay engaged. I tried to depress it running, off, several different ways etc; no luck. I can tell it "clicks" when you depress the R button, but is not engaging. Is there a fuse to this somewhere that may need replacing?

sdavidson......

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I first got my TG. After reading the manual twice I figured out that there is a little black lever that pops out when you do something wrong, like try to put it in R while the parking brake is on. You have to push that lever back in to reset, and then follow the recommended backing up sequence.

Make sure Trike is in NEUTRAL
Start Trike
While foot or hand is on a brake, release the parking brake.
With foot or hand still on brake push the R button until the R appears in the right gauge, take your finger off the R button.
Make sure you have a clear path behind you and release your foot or hand off the brakes and re-push the R button to start backing up..

Attachments

• IMGP2484.JPG
    IMGP2484.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMGP2485.JPG
    IMGP2485.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 170
Thx

=bob=
Thanks Bob, I figured it out. There is a small black swing arm that has to be closed right below the red button which fixed it. Thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Lotsa info like this in the owners manuel

Good Idea.... The manual shows a swing arm that has to be engaged that slides under the red reset button. Thanks for your help.

reverse issues

It blew the fuse, just pop off the right triangle panel above your right rear tire, there is a red button if its popped up, the fuse is blown, there is a little tiny black tab sticking out under the red button, push that back in until it clicks and put the panel back on, I blow mine because I keep forgetting the parking brake is on.

The excellent thing is it appened and now you know how to fix it. I did it too and had been lucky enough to have read the manuals and a post online. another thought is that backing up with your parking brake on is n ot conducive to long pad or rotor life. No need to ask how I know that.

Just make sure the red parking light is out before you ride away and you will be fine.

Enjoy your trike

Steve

The excellent thing is it appened and now you know how to fix it. I did it too and had been lucky enough to have read the manuals and a post online. another thought is that backing up with your parking brake on is n ot conducive to long pad or rotor life. No need to ask how I know that.

Just make sure the red parking light is out before you ride away and you will be fine.

Enjoy your trike

Steve
When I bought my trike they made me take off the panel and trip the fuse myself so that I would know how to do it. I will make sure the red light is out before riding away, I seem to mostly do it just starting out, so used to just having a kickstand and boom off I go, this has been the only hang up of switching to three wheels.

Question...do you ever get over that feeling.... on a down hill slope with a corner of feeling like your going to tip? I have only had mine a month and put 500 miles on and I love it and have done alot of twisties but on the downhill tight turns I noticed that I am actually yelling:)

Thanks
Helen

Question...do you ever get over that feeling.... on a down hill slope with a corner of feeling like your going to tip? I have only had mine a month and put 500 miles on and I love it and have done alot of twisties but on the downhill tight turns I noticed that I am actually yelling:)

Thanks
Helen

I'll tell you what was told to me ... go to a parking lot, do tighter and tighter figure 8's. Just till you tip (just kidding), really helps with the learning curve.

If you have any reason to believe your trike is not handling right, take it to the dealer and get them to check the alignment. Mine had to be realigned after a belt replacement ... huge difference. I'd bet big money mine was off from the factory.

I'll tell you what was told to me ... go to a parking lot, do tighter and tighter figure 8's. Just till you tip (just kidding), really helps with the learning curve.

If you have any reason to believe your trike is not handling right, take it to the dealer and get them to check the alignment. Mine had to be realigned after a belt replacement ... huge difference. I'd bet big money mine was off from the factory.

Thank you so much for the advice and for the laugh out loud about tighter and tighter turns until I tip...I was reading and then my mouth flew open and then I realized you were kidding, hahaha. It seems to handle great, I really need to get to a parking lot though and get my confidence up for the downhills:) I can believe that they can have issues right out of the factory. I bought a Deluxe Softail brand new a few years ago and it wobbled, had it in the shop 3 times until I finally said 'trade it!'

Helen

Ever wonder why, with a warning light that tells you the emergency brake is on, HD doesn't just lock out the reverse motor, like they lock out the starter when it's not in neutral?? :confused:

That would be a great design, maybe they want you to blow the reverse motor because its a $1,000 replacement. I found out the first time I couldn't start it that it had to be in neutral. I thought that was strange too.

Parking brake light

Ever wonder why, with a warning light that tells you the emergency brake is on, HD doesn't just lock out the reverse motor, like they lock out the starter when it's not in neutral?? :confused:

Does the 2010 have a brake warning light? I looked today and couldn't find one on the trike, and saw no mention in the owner's manual.

Bill

Brake saftey switch

its the safety switch located under the right side cover where the air valve . I think its black next to a red button just reset it by pushing toward the front on your bike

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png