Roadsmith HTS1800 Trike Owners....need opinions

Sep 15, 2015
Hayden,Al
I am in the process of ordering my trike kit, Roadsmith offers an adjustable pre-load system that works some what like the stock shock...it can be adjusted by using the factory control on the fairing. My dealer / installer has told me that he feels this isn't needed (even with him making more money if I buy it) the dealer / installer does recommend the heavy duty sway bar.

I would like some input from people that have the HTS1800 kit with & without the pre-load system...thanks

I am in the process of ordering my trike kit, Roadsmith offers an adjustable pre-load system that works some what like the stock shock...it can be adjusted by using the factory control on the fairing. My dealer / installer has told me that he feels this isn't needed (even with him making more money if I buy it) the dealer / installer does recommend the heavy duty sway bar.

I would like some input from people that have the HTS1800 kit with & without the pre-load system...thanks

Howdy again Tommy

The adjustable preload does not affect the ride comfort as much as you'd think it would. The coil over shocks are the primary way to adjust comfort setting. Using the adjustable preload tweaks that comfort just a bit but it really changes the body roll factor. When I ride twisties I jack up the preload five or six points to stiffen the suspension up some. That in conjunction with the heavy duty torsion bar almost totally eliminates body roll. Even in very tight turns I have very minimal issues there.

I considered the Accuride system but don't like letting something I can't control do that job. The adjustable preload is convenient (especially since I modified the system to let me do the adjustment on the fly) and I really believe it is a very good system. :xszpv::xszpv:

It's a personal thing for sure but for me it is the way to go.....

I had my 2012 Goldwing triked with an HTS1800 kit at the Daytona Trike Shop last fall. I decided not to get the Comfort Control pre-load system, since I mostly ride one up and could adjust the shocks manually if needed.

I just returned from the Maggie Valley gathering in North Carolina and had no trouble riding the twisties even above the suggested speed limits. The trike held the curves as well as my old BMW Hannigan, which was really nice.

For sure you want the rake mod, but assume you've already thought of that. Also the sway bar. If you usually ride with a passenger, the pre-load might make a difference. I don't know. I think you'll like the Roadsmith. Ride safe. :)

Depending on who your installer is you might pay attention. I don't have any air suspension system on my 06 RS but I did install a performance sway bar a couple of months ago. That was well worth the work of the install.

I got the dial-up system and fine I never need to adjust it.
I would be tempted again to just go with the base system that Roadsmith offers,
less aggravation that way.

I had the base suspension on my RS conversion. When I picked it up, the preload on the Progressive coil-over shocks was not great enough and ride/handling suffered. I took a preload wrench and jacked it up to 4th stiffest setting (of 5) and it worked ever-so-much better. I then cranked it to 5th preload (most preload) and it didn't make a huge difference. My installed, KDCYCLES.com told me that the HD anti-sway bar was a revelation to them. He got one by accident when they first came out and tried it on a conversion and was hooked... made a HUGE difference. I personally wouldn't bother with the air system.

I had the base suspension on my RS conversion. When I picked it up, the preload on the Progressive coil-over shocks was not great enough and ride/handling suffered. I took a preload wrench and jacked it up to 4th stiffest setting (of 5) and it worked ever-so-much better. I then cranked it to 5th preload (most preload) and it didn't make a huge difference. My installed, KDCYCLES.com told me that the HD anti-sway bar was a revelation to them. He got one by accident when they first came out and tried it on a conversion and was hooked... made a HUGE difference. I personally wouldn't bother with the air system.

The Roadsmith system for Pre-Load is NOT AIR / it uses the same hydraulic cylinder that raised and lowered the rear of the 2001 - 2015 Wings / Here is some detail, please know what you are describing please, others rely on getting good information to make decisions. If in doubt look it up.... watch the video and read what is printed:

Adjustable Pre-Load

The other suspension option we now offer is an Adjustable Pre-Load system. We tie right into the GL1800's existing suspension adjustment system that's controllable right from the dash. By the push up or down of a button, this system hydraulically pre-loads the fixed springs for various loads, and allows the rider to manually adjust the ride as they see fit. We use high quality Progressive coil over shocks combined with the springs.

And I have the HD SWAY BAR & the Adjustable Pre-Load and I use it alot / you set the progressive shocks to kill body roll and then use the Pre-Load to fine tune... you really need both to really enjoy the ride without crawling under your trike as the shocks need to be tuned again or your trailer weight has changed your ride comfort. But to each is own, my FYI for today!!

I also had KDCycles do my trike job & Kevin told me he didn't see any need for anything other than the HD anti-sway bar...so that is what I went with.

The Roadsmith system for Pre-Load is NOT AIR / it uses the same hydraulic cylinder that raised and lowered the rear of the 2001 - 2015 Wings / Here is some detail, please know what you are describing please, others rely on getting good information to make decisions. If in doubt look it up.... watch the video and read what is printed:

Adjustable Pre-Load

The other suspension option we now offer is an Adjustable Pre-Load system. We tie right into the GL1800's existing suspension adjustment system that's controllable right from the dash. By the push up or down of a button, this system hydraulically pre-loads the fixed springs for various loads, and allows the rider to manually adjust the ride as they see fit. We use high quality Progressive coil over shocks combined with the springs.

And I have the HD SWAY BAR & the Adjustable Pre-Load and I use it alot / you set the progressive shocks to kill body roll and then use the Pre-Load to fine tune... you really need both to really enjoy the ride without crawling under your trike as the shocks need to be tuned again or your trailer weight has changed your ride comfort. But to each is own, my FYI for today!!

Mister, All you need to do is set up the preload on the non "adjustable pre-load" RS trike once and get it right and you won't have to spend money on the air stuff. That was my point. I talked this over at length with my installer and he found the Adjustable Pre-Load unnecessary. I didn't have the adjustable pre-load on my RS conversion and it handled great once I jacked up the preload on the Progressive Suspenion shocks. I had considered higher rate springs before I sold that trike as mine were max'd out for preload.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png