First trip on new trike

Aug 11, 2013
EVERETT
After 46 years on two wheels, I have now moved to three. After doing the research, I had my 1999 GL1500 converted with a Champion SA Kit. The work was dome by OnThree Trikes in Redmond, WA and I was very pleased with their work.

The trike was completed in late June and in August we left on out first trip on the new trike. We basically road to Bismark, ND and back and were on the road for 9 days. The trike performed great and we were very pleased with almost everything. During the trip we did some Interstates but mostly kept to secondary roads. This included the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National Park, the Beartooth Highway in Montana and Wyoming, and routes 55 and 95 in western Idaho. I was very pleased with the performance on twisty roads as well as on straight roads and highways.

I guess my only surprise was the mileage. On previous trips we generally averaged 38 to 42 mpg. On this trip we averaged 31.5 mpg. Although we were surprised, it appears that this seems to be in line with what others are getting. The biggest contributors were speed and wind. On an Interstate at 70 - 75 mph and into a strong headwind, we only got 22 to 23 mpg. On the other hand, in Yellowstone where we road 35 to 45 mph, we got close to 38 mpg. My only concern is that we have to be a little more careful about planning gas stops. In this part of the country and on backroads, gas stations can sometimes be pretty far apart.

My only thought is that I should have done this several years ago. Can't wait to get out on the road again.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Sounds about right on the gas mileage. I don't see that you have the auxiliary fuel tank on your Champion kit (I don't know if they even offer it). It's really a nice feature to have on those long trips with few towns along the way.

Nice trip you two went on - sounds great. You'll find with riding experience that the trike handles even better than the 2 wheeler on those curvy roads. Watch that you don't run over the brethren that haven't yet discovered the trike nirvana. :)

Congrats on the fun trike riding you are getting now.
Me personally, I strap on a spare gallon of gas when I head West of the Mississippi. It's saved my ass before.

Congrats on the fun trike riding you are getting now.
Me personally, I strap on a spare gallon of gas when I head West of the Mississippi. It's saved my ass before.

Hey Andrew, seems like it would take a lot more than a gallon to save your New York hiney. :laugh::laugh: (Just kidding. you're da man!!)

Nice Trike Bob and welcome to the group.Your mileage sounds about right to me and we have similar trikes.You'll enjoy more the more you ride it especially the wife.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png