Tech Help

Sep 19, 2015
Macon GA.
Does anyone know what the correct torque is for the (4) front fork pinch bolts on a Gl1800? I had to realign the front axle after a recent tire change out.

What type of grease is used for both the clutch and brake levers?

I greatly appreciate any input.

I don't have service manuals for a GL anymore ... so can't help, but it would be the best investment you ever made, to get shop manuals, if your gonna wrench on your ride ... just my HO

Seems to me it is 23 ft. Lbs. *I'm away from home right now but will check in an hour or so..:xszpv:*

I don't have service manuals for a GL anymore ... so can't help, but it would be the best investment you ever made, to get shop manuals, if your gonna wrench on your ride ... just my HO

Thanks guys!ThumbUp

I only tackle light maintenance and oil changes.
Anything under the main top shelter is out of my league.

Thanks guys!ThumbUp

I only tackle light maintenance and oil changes.
Anything under the main top shelter is out of my league.

Turning wrenches is not for everyone. I grew up working on things like this so it's second nature.

I was wrong about the torque settings. Here is a copy and past from the service manual.

Front axle pinch bolt 22 N·m (2.2 kgf·m, 16 lbf·ft)

That seems a bit light to me but that is what the book says. I'm pretty sure I do around that 23 foot pound number but if the book says 16 that should be plenty. Good luck with the job.

OH, I just thought of something. Did you know there is a special procedure in the service manual about remounting the front wheel? If you go strictly by the line up mark on the left end of the axle you may or may not be lined up correctly. The first GL1800 I owned ('01) would drag the left brake something awful with that mark aligned. If you send me your email via PM I can send you that procedure.. :xszpv::xszpv:

Turning wrenches is not for everyone. I grew up working on things like this so it's second nature.

I was wrong about the torque settings. Here is a copy and past from the service manual.

Front axle pinch bolt 22 N·m (2.2 kgf·m, 16 lbf·ft)

That seems a bit light to me but that is what the book says. I'm pretty sure I do around that 23 foot pound number but if the book says 16 that should be plenty. Good luck with the job.

OH, I just thought of something. Did you know there is a special procedure in the service manual about remounting the front wheel? If you go strictly by the line up mark on the left end of the axle you may or may not be lined up correctly. The first GL1800 I owned ('01) would drag the left brake something awful with that mark aligned. If you send me your email via PM I can send you that procedure.. :xszpv::xszpv:

Thanks kindly Jerry!!:goodjob:

I use the "float axle/bounce front end method" to align the axle and pay no attention to where the line up mark ends up. The line up mark on the left end of the axle will usually not yield proper alignment results.

All I am doing is resetting the axle alignment after a dealer installed a new tire. The dealer follows the book.:gah:

What type grease do you use on your brake and clutch levers?

Thanks kindly Jerry!!:goodjob:

I use the "float axle/bounce front end method" to align the axle and pay no attention to where the line up mark ends up. The line up mark on the left end of the axle will usually not yield proper alignment results.

All I am doing is resetting the axle alignment after a dealer installed a new tire. The dealer follows the book.:gah:

What type grease do you use on your brake and clutch levers?

Very Good Kelly!! You are actually doing what the service manual says. If your dealer is not then he is doing it wrong.

Actually, I do not use grease on the leavers at all. Grease attracts dirt and road grime. Used spray silicone lube. Once dry it will not collect dirt. I like the Liquid Wrench brand. It is a bit thicker so works well. If you are trying to lube something where soaking in is desired a less thick brand works better. For that I use AMSOIL....

Good luck with your minor maintenance and keep up the good job!! :xszpv::xszpv:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png