Champion solid axle suspenion set up?

Sep 24, 2012
Mico, TX.
On a GL1800 Champion solid axle conversion, how does the rear suspension work? Shocks? Air bags? Can you change preload on the shocks? I saw in another thread folks adjusting air pressure? I am thinking about buy one so would like to know as it would make ride home a lot more comfy if suspension was set up right. WHen I brought my last trike home, suspension was NOT right (preload on softest setting) and too much air in back tires. Help me out here. thanks.

On a GL1800 Champion solid axle conversion, how does the rear suspension work? Shocks? Air bags? Can you change preload on the shocks? I saw in another thread folks adjusting air pressure? I am thinking about buy one so would like to know as it would make ride home a lot more comfy if suspension was set up right. WHen I brought my last trike home, suspension was NOT right (preload on softest setting) and too much air in back tires. Help me out here. thanks.

George, the Champion S.A. kits come with coil-over shocks and do have an adjustable pre-load. They are adjusted via a Champion provided spanner wrench by turning a ring and have 5 stepped settings. You'll need to remove the tire/wheels to adjust the pre-load.

http://www.championsidecars.com/uploads/5/2/6/7/5267613/gl1800_solid_axle.pdf

My wife has a Champion S.A. kit on a Sportster, and as Bazooka stated it has coil over shock suspension that is adjustable for preload. I just picked up a set of air shocks from a HD Streetglide that I'm going to install this winter. I think they will give a better (and more adjustable) ride that she can tune for road conditions and load. I would think you could do something similar.

Thanks guys. On my HT1500 Roadsmith conversion, Roadsmith used similar coil over shocks made by Progressive. I was going to change the springs when I got a chance as the spring rates were on the soft side for us 2-up. The spanner used is the same for almost all shocks.... kind of a C shaped affair that allows you to catch the holes and turn the preload adjust ring.

I have a 06 Goldwing Champion Trike with a solid axle, which I bought brand new.
My dealer setup the trike just like I wanted it. I have no
complaints and can adjust the rear end using the stock air controls on the left side of the dash.
I have almost 50,000 trouble free miles on it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png