Avon Cobra Trike tire update

Mar 29, 2011
mountain home,ar. USA
I installed this new tire last November. As I stated from the beginning I love the ride and handling. IMO, it is far better than the MPA or BT-45 most are currently using.

I just turned 10,000 miles on this tire and it has reached the wear bars. On the bias ply tires the trikes here only average 11 to 13,000 miles on average if majority of miles are in the Arkansas twisties and on our chip-n-seal roads. So the Avon came up a little short in the mileage category.

However, I ordered another Cobra Trike tire and will give it another try because I like the driving characteristics so much. Hopefully, Avon will find a way to improve the tread life. If the next one still achieves 10K miles then I might have to reconsider the BT-45 which is my favorite of the bias ply tires.

Flat country riders will probably do much better; similar to the bias ply tires. I will be anxious to see how they do.

Thanks for the update. I haven't heard much about the tire, & longevity & stickiness are things I look for.

I ordered & just received a Metzler LaserTech rear, for the front. Haven't mounted it yet so no review. I've run many Metz's on my Valks over the years and had good experiences with them. I ran across this one and purchased based on the bias ply and multiple deep tread pattern. Hope it performs well, guess I'll find out, huh.

I don't have the Avon Cobra trike tyre but have used the ordinary Avon Cobra around the mountains in Europe, Norway and the crappy UK roads. It holds the road well and very good in the wet stuff. Getting good mileage off of it. :pepper:

I put on an AVON AM-26 (BIAS) in June and have about 15,000 miles on it.
It looks like I will get around 20 to 25,000 miles on it.
The only bad thing, noisy.
If you only get 10 to 12,000 miles with the AVON COBRA TRIKE, why bother with it.

I put on an AVON AM-26 (BIAS) in June and have about 15,000 miles on it.
It looks like I will get around 20 to 25,000 miles on it.
The only bad thing, noisy.
If you only get 10 to 12,000 miles with the AVON COBRA TRIKE, why bother with it.

Because, if you refer back to my post, all trikes in this area average only 11 to 13,000 miles because of twisty roads; many of which are constructed with chip and seal. The Avon got 10,000 miles so it's in the ball park. The ride and handling are superior to the bias ply tires. Regular OEM front tires from bike only last 5,000 miles on trike.

I switched from the mpa to the avon trike tire on my 06 1800 roadsmith trike. I absolutely love the tire so far. It is quiet and has much better handling in the curves. It feels smoother on the straightaways less vibration in the front transferred to the rider. I have about 1500 miles on mine. I took my 16 year old son for a ride and within 20 miles he was asking what I did to the trike to make it so smooth.

Got an Avon trike tire for the from from Dennis Kirk yesterday evening via UPS. About $150 shipped. Took the rim into San Antonio to the Motorcycle Tire Shop on Hackberry and had Porkchop put it on. Mount/balance $25.

Went for a short dinner ride and the new tire really makes the trike's handling. Old tire was pretty much shot at 5300 miles (Dunlop OEM) and after a 1500 mile ride handling wasn't good. The new Avon feels planted and the ride is noticeably better. Hope I see the 10K miles others have! Cheers. wg

Got an Avon trike tire for the from from Dennis Kirk yesterday evening via UPS. About $150 shipped. Took the rim into San Antonio to the Motorcycle Tire Shop on Hackberry and had Porkchop put it on. Mount/balance $25.

Went for a short dinner ride and the new tire really makes the trike's handling. Old tire was pretty much shot at 5300 miles (Dunlop OEM) and after a 1500 mile ride handling wasn't good. The new Avon feels planted and the ride is noticeably better. Hope I see the 10K miles others have! Cheers. wg

It's amazing how the Avon trike tire sticks to the road ,it responds to every move you make .

Fl beach sand ?

Just put on a new Avon Trike , Wing Champion solid axle.
its worth a try if handling and cupping are better.
The MPA has tread but is cupped and vibrates on corners.
We're going to find out how the trike is on Fl beach sand.
Any one know ?
Happy Day

Still have my MPA 41psi..ceramic bead balance..in the front in NH and have about 10,000+ and it still looks good, maybe another 5,000 to go.
I still believe, pressure..how it is balanced, will make or break a tire...
Rosy

Avon Cobra Trike Tire

Still have my MPA 41psi..ceramic bead balance..in the front in NH and have about 10,000+ and it still looks good, maybe another 5,000 to go.
I still believe, pressure..how it is balanced, will make or break a tire...
Rosy
Just received an Avon Cobra front Trike Tire from Bikebandit. $125.95 with free shipping and two day delivery. This is for my 2012 Harley Tri Glide which is in storage so I will have to wait until Spring to mount it. I hope it is as good as people say. I will find out eventually.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png