Help with performance upgrade

Oct 19, 2011
GLEN ELLYN, IL. USA
I'm thinking on updating my 2014 TriGlide' exhaust system. I like the Cobra Race Pro slip ons - very deep rumble with out the obnoxiously loud sound like Rhineharts etc. My dealer's parts manager also recommends them plus the head pipes. He also recommends true duals, but a friend said and I seem to remember a post that said not to go with "true" duals because of something about bad low end power on a trike???
He also recommends the Stage I A/C and H-D SE Pro Super Tuner.
There are probably better combinations out there, but I'd like to stick with H-D products as much as possible.
This is all I'll ever do to the bike - no engine mods at all. I just want a little more "get up and go". Most of my riding is between 2K and 3.5K RPM's
My question is what's the best setup for a TG - exhaust wise....true duals or not?
Second question. What's the difference between SE Pro Super Tuner($460) and SE Street Performance Tuner Kit($250)?? Is the Pro better for me then the Street or will the Street work just as well?
My dealer doesn't have a trike dyno but another dealer has one. Is it worth it to have the bike dyno'ed after all the mods or will the preset maps be OK?

Also any pro/con thoughts on taller handlebars -2"higher/2" closer? Worth the $1000+??

I've never done these kind of mods to a bike before - never needed or wanted to, but I have a little extra SS money to spend. :D So what the hell - better then spending it on booze and women........ right?? :laugh:
Thanks for any help on this project.

Here's a good resource on Stage I Upgrades.

LINK

They are NOT all created equal.

As a general rule, you will get more power out of a 2-1-2 header than true duals, but you will get a "better" sound out of true duals than a 2-1-2 header.

On my Softail I went with True Duals for the look and the sound. By adding TTI's to it, I brought back the power lost, plus some, by going with the True Duals.

Of course, if I had gone with a 2-1-2 and used the TTI's I would have had even more power. Sacrifice I was willing to make for the sound and the look on that bike.

Kevin

My first thought is driving a Trike at 2000 rpm......I'm thinking you are heading for a Compensator failure at that rpm.....Just my opinion.

2-1-2 will give you the low end TQ needed especially for a 1300# bike....any good Stage One breather with free flow headers and slip-ons the same. Tuner and go blasting down the road!

When I choose exhaust I do so based on how well it will meet my performance expectations, sound is secondary, I can't ride sound. I tried true duels one time and hated them. Yes I could have fiddled with mufflers to help quiet it, I could have installed what some call a lollipop to get some of the low end torque back.

lollipop.jpg

lollipops.jpg

I choose to go back with what worked, the factory head pipe, this was on an 05 Electraglide Classic I had. On my 06 Ultra, I only ran the factory head pipe for about a year. I then switched to the Supertrapp Supermeg I presently have on it. The factory 2.1.2 head pipe works pretty good, even with the cat in it.

Tuner, the SEPST is much better than the Screamin Eagle Street tuner. The Street tuner is essentially canned maps that the dealer has to upload via the street tuner VCI. The SEPST will allow a competent tuner to make a much better running tune.

exhaust

I went with the screaming eagle cannon slip ons with my 15 freewheeler. The sound is good when going through the gears. I THINK I got a little more power and I for sure got an extra 3 mpg mileage. Other wise the motor is stock, good power and can cruise at 80 all day long.Also a riding buddy with a 2012 (I believe that's the year) road glide took out his cat. He said it dropped the head temp a lot. We went on identical rides together and I took temps on both bikes and they were identical. I believe all the hype about removing the cats to cool the bikes is just that, HYPE to get your money. Don't believe me do the test yourself

Kevin, your stuff sounds great, but I'm all thumbs when it comes to engines etc. Do you have a dealer or know of anyone in the Chicago area that can install your equipment? Will installing your stuff void my Harley warrantee. I have a 7 year EXP.

msocko3, I want a good exhaust, but I want a good sounding one like the Cobras. I hate Rhineharts and most other exhausts that are way too loud - - for me. The last slip on I had was the H-D Fatshotz - not loud at all , just a bit louder then stock. Matter of fact I like the stock exhaust sound.

I've never looked into modifying my bike before so don't really know if I really want to go to all the trouble.

Also a riding buddy with a 2012 (I believe that's the year) road glide took out his cat. He said it dropped the head temp a lot. We went on identical rides together and I took temps on both bikes and they were identical. I believe all the hype about removing the cats to cool the bikes is just that, HYPE to get your money.

I may be wrong, but everything I have read is that removing the cat doesn't do anything to cool the heads. It is just to remove some of the heat off of the driver's right butt cheek and the passenger's right leg.

I think Fullsac header is one of the best around, stage one A C and a good tuner.
One of our Harley shops have Fullsac headers in stock.

I like fulsac products.
I am use fulsac 2 inch cvo baffles. Very good sound. I should have went with the 1 7/8 baffles though.
They a little loud. Not bad , not annoying jusrt a tad to loud. Lot cheaper than getting new mufflers. They have gotten crazy on prices for slip on mufflers now.

Kevin, your stuff sounds great, but I'm all thumbs when it comes to engines etc. Do you have a dealer or know of anyone in the Chicago area that can install your equipment? Will installing your stuff void my Harley warrantee. I have a 7 year EXP.

msocko3, I want a good exhaust, but I want a good sounding one like the Cobras. I hate Rhineharts and most other exhausts that are way too loud - - for me. The last slip on I had was the H-D Fatshotz - not loud at all , just a bit louder then stock. Matter of fact I like the stock exhaust sound.

I've never looked into modifying my bike before so don't really know if I really want to go to all the trouble.

You said a magic word here, Warranty. It's a roll of the dice whether the warranty will be affected or not, depends on the dealer servicing it. Most extended warranty follow the same guidelines as Harley.

Fullsac and Fuelmoto both offer a great 2-1-2 head pipe that will give you good across the board power. Kuryakyn Cruiser mellow slip-ons are making the most power out there right now. They are also not real loud and annoying. They are also pretty pricey

I am running Rush slip-ons with a 2" baffle and really like them, not too loud, but still got that "potato-potato-potato" sound

Steve at Fullsac and Jamie at Fuelmoto both offer great products and customer service. Call them and talk to them, they will guide you in the right direction

It all depends on the dealer. We've had hundreds of our Air Cleaners installed by HD Dealers around the globe, never heard of any dealer talking about voiding a warranty because of them. Same with the Power Vision Package we sell, and the Exhaust Systems we sell.

HOWEVER, there are dealers out there that will tell you your warranty is void if any part is installed on the bike that is not from HD, and they will even say that it is void if certain HD race parts are installed.

If you call or email the shop, we can look up the HD Dealers we work with in the Chicago area and give you their info.

Kevin

GARYD,
Another vote for Fullsac. I installed that system on my previous 2 CVOs. Nice performance increase and reduction in heat on the right side. I am seriously considering this mod as my Spring 2016 project. Dollar for dollar it is one of the best options available.

Jerry

GaryD, went through the same thing with my 14 Tri, looking to upgrade. After much research ended up going with a Fullsac header and I found a set of stock mufflers with Fullsac baffles, used--can't see them anyway. Did buy a TTS tuner to go with them. Good bang for the buck all around and proven components..
As for the air cleaner, I have been told you will get very little if any gain, changing it would just be for looks.

GaryD, went through the same thing with my 14 Tri, looking to upgrade. After much research ended up going with a Fullsac header and I found a set of stock mufflers with Fullsac baffles, used--can't see them anyway. Did buy a TTS tuner to go with them. Good bang for the buck all around and proven components..
As for the air cleaner, I have been told you will get very little if any gain, changing it would just be for looks.

:Agree:On the air cleaner installed on the 14 and later Touring for Stage 1 use.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png